This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Adventure Time with Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games.

#481brawl__08Posted 4/3/2014 1:53:24 PM
They beat us around the head with the idea that the men were pointless and that they didn't need them because their sisterly bond was powerful enough to save the day. Except this was all shoehorned into the last ten seconds and didn't really make any sense. Sometimes simpler is better, just have the chick save a dude, female hero, yay, done.

But Kristoff is the reason why Anna was able to even get to Elsa's castle in the first place, as well as to the trolls to see what she needed to save her and to get her back to the kingdom, while at the same time Anna was shown as proactive enough to go after her sister on her own, make deals with Kristoff to convince him to help her, and she had her sacrifice at the end, which made sense because "act of true love" and all.

Tangled has them save each other, promoting a theme of equality and teamwork which was what made it so fresh compared to just the hero doing the saving the day business again.

A theme that backfires when a good part of the story involved Gothel telling Rapunzel she wouldn't be able to handle herself in the real world and would need to be protected. At the very end of the movie, that's exactly what happened.

Defeats the point if you ask me. Also didn't make sense why Gothel even raised Rapunzel as a normal daughter when she could've easily influenced Rapunzel to believe whatever Gothel would want her to believe.

Frozen has gone too far the other way. And while it's perfectly fine to have a woman save the day, you don't have to be massive smug feminists about it by trying to do a shocking twist we weren't supposed to see coming. All it achieved was A: wasting our time by setting up a character arc for Kristoff and then literally telling us he was worthless and B: insulting our intelligence by suggesting we didn't know the women would save the day despite the main character being two chicks.

christ man
not gonna lie, you sound like some mad as f*** MRA guy right now

You're looking for signs of feminism when there weren't any, or at least as many as you think there were. I'm one to hate forced feminism as much as the next guy, but I didn't see any of that s*** in this light. I saw it as a purely innocent story about familial love, not "hurr men useless, women stronk" like the dumbf*** horse s*** you're spouting right now. Kristoff wasn't as active as other males in previous Disney movies, sure, but he definitely played his part and at no point did they try to make him seem like he was a useless sack of s*** like you're implying they did.

colormecrazy posted...
It was an animated movie for people who don't like animated movies.

wot
---
http://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/Brawl08.gif
#482FvPPosted 4/3/2014 2:10:31 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#483Jubilation_LeePosted 4/3/2014 3:11:51 PM(edited)
-They were only protecting Elsa the other one was free to leave. She might want to talk to her sister but she can go get some fresh air surely.
-How does he sell ice in the winter then? There's even less demand.
-He was in charge and the other two weren't coming back. The villagers had accepted him and denounced the queen.

-He didn't need to be alive. She could have just found the snowman, looked at it in silence and stuck a carrot on it. Would have been a much more powerful scene. Instead their bond is manifested as a hateful JarJar character.
-How did she bring sticks to life for his arms?

-I assumed they were using the phrase "curse" in the way angsty comic characters do? "Wah wah I'm cursed to be super powered, etc"
-If it is an actual curse placed on her, then why? Who did it? How? For what purpose would you curse someone to be Iceman?

-They tell us Elsa can't save Anna, they set Kristoff up as having a character arc with a payoff. It doesn't deliver because they suddenly pull out of their ass that Elsa can fix it after all. It's a poor plot twist and wastes our time.
-In fact Kristoff actually damages the plot by being there because after berating us for being silly and thinking Hans was Anna's true love and telling us they can't be because they've just met; they throw her together with Kristoff after she has known him literally a few hours longer.
5 seconds = not love. 5 hours = its love!
And yeah, other Disney movies have love at first sight, but they don't insult us by telling us it's not real in the same film.

-Not sure what you're getting at. Flynn saves Rapunzel, Flynn dies, Rapunzel saves Flynn.
-Rapunzel is her prized possession. It's counterproductive to have her in ill health by just chaining her up and being mean to her. This is even explained, she's always on about how she doesn't want her harmed.

-The whole film is heavily marketed and praised for being pro-feminism. Simply google to prove me right.
If your big feminist masterpiece has to set up a guy hero then say "LOL HE'S NOT THE HERO, WATCH THIS" then pull his moment out from under him and try to make us be surprised that he wasn't needed because women, then it's just smug and not clever.
I actually liked Kristoff and I felt bad that his story went nowhere. Aside from him knowing a troll, you can remove him from the script entirely and the entire thing still works as long as she meets the reindeer. I would have preferred this to getting beaten around the head with poor writing.
---
I am the one and only
Nobody I'd rather be
#484JACKTHERlPPERPosted 4/3/2014 3:17:16 PM
This can't end well.
---
Run through this game before my body is dry
0834-2001-2901
#485FvPPosted 4/3/2014 4:47:10 PM
Tentative senior year schedule

http://imgur.com/a/I2MAD
---
FvP | falco_vs_peach | *^*"The Shinies" Member*^* | Adventure Time Member
PBWSB PDPSB /pdpsb/ PBWSB User Tournament Winner: DiabIo
#486Mistress_Zelda_Posted 4/3/2014 4:50:08 PM
FvP I'm in Molecular Genetics right now and I hate every minute of it.

I got a 35 on the first exam and it was still a C 'cause everyone else failed too. @_@

Dunno how I did on this last one. I just wanna pass! D;
---
And I know it is totally crazy to dream I find romance,
But for the first time in forever, at least I've got a chance!
#487FvPPosted 4/3/2014 4:57:06 PM
It's one of, if not, the hardest biology class here. Labs are usually seen as taking another class, but Mol. Genetics and P. Chem labs are like adding a 20-hour/week part time job.

The teacher who usually teaches it is on sabbatical and he said whoever it is will be easier. I heard rumors of who is teaching it, and I've had her before. It will probably be equivalent, because those two professors are super nice but hard.
---
#488colormecrazyPosted 4/3/2014 5:04:52 PM(edited)
Jubilation_Lee posted...
-The whole film is heavily marketed and praised for being pro-feminism. Simply google to prove me right.

wut

i think you're confusing what sjw's did with it and what disney intended bruh

FvP posted...
Tentative senior year schedule

http://imgur.com/a/I2MAD

move ecology down to the next timeslot and you have two perfect schedules
---
Every thousand years, this metal sphere ten times the size of Jupiter floats just a few yards past the Earth.
http://i.imgur.com/6iJV1H9.jpg
#489FvPPosted 4/3/2014 5:04:14 PM
mfw I realize I have 3 labs next semester + TA'ing another one... again

brb going to actually kill myself next semester.
---
#490JACKTHERlPPERPosted 4/3/2014 5:06:06 PM
FvP posted...
mfw I realize I have 3 labs next semester + TA'ing another one... again

brb going to actually kill myself next semester.

I pray for your sanity. You may come out without any.
---
Run through this game before my body is dry
0834-2001-2901