This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Talonflame Competitive Set

#1KaosKronosPosted 10/28/2013 1:40:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr5HUD4TBc0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUGkYcGHW29r-eRQN1Is9X3g

Curious what you guys think about it :P IMO its pretty overpowered heh
---
3DS FC 4656-6665-2474
Youtube Channel (Pokemon) http://www.youtube.com/user/Kr0N0s1225
#2Gord11111Posted 10/28/2013 3:21:05 PM
Dies to Stealth Rock.
---
-Makin' it Rainbow: Water Gym Leader, Elite Divided-
-3DS FC 2492 4122 0750-
Safari Pokemon: Pumpkaboo/Lampent/Dusclops
#3ProfSquirtlePosted 10/28/2013 3:23:22 PM
Well, you have the coverage down, but the problem with Talonflame is its weakness to Stealth Rock; it loses 50% of its health when it comes in, so Choice Band will be detrimental. It should go Life Orb or Leftovers (Until Flying Gem appears) and drop Steel Wing for PRIORITY Roost (Which also has the added effect of dropping its Flying Type of a turn, just for more defensive options). Yes, it will have problems with Rock types no matter what, but no pokemon handles everything by itself.

So mine goes
Gale Wings
Jolly
252ATK/252Speed/4HP
Swords Dance
Brave Bird (Acrobatics with Flying Gem would be better, but it's not around)
Flare Blitz
Roost.

This thing really destroys late game, and it helps to pair it with a bulky rapid spinner (Mega Blastoise works wonders)
#4ozza000Posted 10/28/2013 3:32:05 PM
I wouldn't use any of the 4th moves you've said. Quick attack will be way too weak. Fly is just rubbish competitively. Steel Wing is only hitting rock types harder, but is way too weak to really kill them.

I also don't think it has a large enough attack stat to pull off the moveset you've listed. You will barely dent Hippowdon, Gliscor and the like.

Ultimately I highly doubt this thing makes OU. Maybe UU, but I wouldn't be surprised if even lower than that. Its base 81 attack is way too low to be doing many sweeps in OU. The fact it loses to so many common Pokemon (think Tyranitar). Once December rolls around and everything has access to stealth rock again, switching in will come much tougher. And then you basically have to build your team around it, but it's too weak to build your team around.
---
Ozza - 3969-5033-8014 - Krabby, Floatzel, Poliwhirl
#5KaosKronos(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 3:48:27 PM
ProfSquirtle posted...
Well, you have the coverage down, but the problem with Talonflame is its weakness to Stealth Rock; it loses 50% of its health when it comes in, so Choice Band will be detrimental. It should go Life Orb or Leftovers (Until Flying Gem appears) and drop Steel Wing for PRIORITY Roost (Which also has the added effect of dropping its Flying Type of a turn, just for more defensive options). Yes, it will have problems with Rock types no matter what, but no pokemon handles everything by itself.

So mine goes
Gale Wings
Jolly
252ATK/252Speed/4HP
Swords Dance
Flare Blitz
Roost.

This thing really destroys late game, and it helps to pair it with a bulky rapid spinner (Mega Blastoise works wonders)

you have a point, i doubt talonflame will have time to pull of swords dance though, also flare blitz and brave bird do enough recoil damage, life orb would cripple it pretty bad
---
3DS FC 4656-6665-2474
Youtube Channel (Pokemon) http://www.youtube.com/user/Kr0N0s1225
#6ProfSquirtlePosted 10/28/2013 3:52:56 PM
Swords Dance works, especially on Talonflame. It may be frail, but there are plenty of Pokemon is can switch into and setup on. The next turn, no matter what comes in, it has priority BRAVE BIRD to ruin it.

Life Orb works, but so does Leftovers. It has priority Roost for Life Orb's minimal damage, as well as Flare Blitz/Brave Bird recoil.
#7Legend320Posted 10/28/2013 3:55:50 PM
ProfSquirtle posted...

So mine goes
Gale Wings
Jolly
252ATK/252Speed/4HP
Swords Dance
Flare Blitz
Roost.

My Talonflame is similar to this. I made it more attack based though.

Item: Life Orb
Gale Wings
Adamant
252 HP/252 Attack
Roost
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
U-Turn

I have yet to test this out, but hoping to do so later tonight.
---
"There are 3 things that cannot be hidden for long; The Sun, The Moon, and The Truth."
FC: 2079-7113-6439
#8Master_RadoriPosted 10/28/2013 4:07:51 PM
ProfSquirtle posted...

So mine goes
Gale Wings
Jolly
252ATK/252Speed/4HP
Swords Dance
Flare Blitz
Roost.

You're really better with Adamant due to Gale Wings. Otherwise, I really like this set. May try it out.
---
The Name is Radori. #1 player in Clash of NInja Revolution 3! Skype: Radori_Nighthawk Xbox Live GT:: Radoric Ninendo 3DS Friend Code: 3222-5564-7850
#9ProfSquirtlePosted 10/28/2013 4:17:33 PM
Flare Blitz and Swords Dance are unaffected by the priority, but with Sticky Web support, Adamant may be a thing. This won't get outpaced by OTHER Gale Wingers, either.