This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Friend Safari Explained!

#1hotshotgamesPosted 10/19/2013 5:17:50 PMmessage detail(edited)
There seems to be some confusion on the forums as to how the pokemon safari operates, hopefully this will clear up any questions you have regarding its intricacies.

What is the Friend Safari?
The friend safari is an area where you can visit registered pokemon friends safaris and catch up to 3 pokemon.

How do I get to it?
After you have finished the elite four travel to the Lumiose City Train Station, and upon entering Prof. Sycamore will give you a Rail Ticket which allows travel to Kiloude City. On the left side of the city there is a larger than usual building with a red roof. This is the Friend Safari.

Why do I care?
Because in each friend safari there are immediately 2 pokemon on level 30. These pokemon are usually available somewhere in the Kalos region, but may be version exclusive (eg, Swirlix, Cloyster). Catching these can let you skip grinding levels to fill your pokedex or relying on the GTS.

But your really care Because...
The 3rd pokemon!
This is only accessible after your friend has defeated the champion at the end of the elite four *AND* they have come up in your friends list in the game.
This pokemon is almost always not naturally occurring in the game (eg. Starters, Evolutions, Pre-evolutions) and often is exclusively available through the Friend Safari (eg. Crawdaunt, Gastrodon, Sunkern, Clefairy)

http://www.serebii.net/xy/friendsafari.shtml
This is a good resource showing a list of the various pokemon obtainable through the Friend Safari.

The First Steps
Find someone to befriend and enter their Friend Code into your 'Friends List' found on the 3DS home screen. Once you have added each other the friendship will go from 'Provisional' to either 'Online' or 'Offline'

Getting the good pokemon
First, ensure you have both completed the elite four and have access to the friend safari. Then, you both need to have your in-game Internet turned on. After this has happened the 3rd blank slot in the pokemon safari card will be available.

You can now catch what is normally their most scarce pokemon.

But, I've done everything and their avatar is still only showing a '?'
This means something has gone wrong, first check that your internet is turned on - not just the wireless, you need the blue wi-fi icon in game to say 'Internet' over the top of it.

If you've done this and there is still no change its almost certainly that they haven't yet turned their internet on in game. If you know their GFAQs account you could try sending them a private message, otherwise just wait patiently with your internet turned on.

For this purpose I actually leave my 3DS open and connected to the internet overnight to try and pick up connections from those who still haven't logged on.

Their avatar is displaying correctly, but the 3rd square is still blank!
This issue occurs when you have seen each other online, hence registering the avatar, but they still haven't defeated the elite four. Alternatively, you haven't both been online at the same time since they have defeated the elite four, and the system is just showing the last known version of the safari (unconfirmed)

Continued on next post
---
Pokemon Y FC: 1864-9422-5953 - Fairy: Kirlia, Swirlix, Clefairy
PM me your FC if you add me and I'll add you back!
#2hotshotgames(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 5:09:52 PMmessage detail(edited)
How can I find what is in my safari?
In the absence of a workable in game message system you have to rely on a board (such as this one) to tell you. Just send messages to a few people with your Friend Code requesting that they let you know the overarching type, and specific pokemon in your safari. Ensure that in this message you tell them your In Game trainer name, as it is by this name that the Safaris are listed.

How can I tell which safari links to which 3DS Friend Code?
Unfortunately there is no easy way to do this at the moment. one way to make sure would to check the last safari on the list as soon as you add someone, as this always expands in a chronological order. You could also try using an external method of contact to ask them their In Game Name, such as GFAQs messaging or the 3DS OS.

I have a rare in my safari that I can't fine anywhere. Can I visit my own safari?
I feel you mate, I have a clefairy in my safari that it took me a few days to prise out of a GFAQ'er.
Try getting one of the player who told you what was in your safari in the first place, or just send GFAQ private messages to other people who you have friended.
---
#3hotshotgames(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 5:04:20 PMmessage detail
damn this board moves fast
---
#4hotshotgames(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 5:05:05 PMmessage detail
fast board is fast
---
#5NegaZeldaPosted 10/19/2013 5:05:51 PMmessage detail
hotshotgames posted...
The 3rd pokemon!
This is only accessible after your friend has defeated the champion at the end of the elite four *AND* you have seen each other online in the game.

I have someone who I've never met online in the game giving me 3 Pokemon in the Friend Safari...
---
If life gives you lemons, sell 'em to Tom Nook.
Black 2 FC: 0132-9980-0476, 3DS FC: 5284-2520-2972 (Pokemon IGN: Aki)
#6hotshotgames(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 5:06:27 PMmessage detail
If you read this and like it please help bump or request sticky.

to request sticky message details -> Request Sticky
---
#7hotshotgames(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 5:07:35 PMmessage detail
NegaZelda posted...
hotshotgames posted...
The 3rd pokemon!
This is only accessible after your friend has defeated the champion at the end of the elite four *AND* you have seen each other online in the game.

I have someone who I've never met online in the game giving me 3 Pokemon in the Friend Safari...

You don't have to physically see them, they just have to show up in your friends list. I'll clarify that
---
#8EvangelLennethPosted 10/19/2013 5:09:41 PMmessage detail
Hey, I alreayd added you to my safari C:
Think you can check for me what pokemons I give ?
I heard flying but dont know which ones :x
---
FC: 0173-2331-0515
#9hotshotgames(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 5:12:36 PMmessage detail
EvangelLenneth posted...
Hey, I alreayd added you to my safari C:
Think you can check for me what pokemons I give ?
I heard flying but dont know which ones :x

I'll add you and have look now
---
#10hotshotgames(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 5:13:45 PMmessage detail
bumpety bump bump
---