Books similar to The Kingkiller Chronicles?

#1King_of_GoatsPosted 7/18/2011 10:45:00 PM
I was never big into reading high/epic fantasy books, but a friend lent me the two books available in this series. I absolutely love what I've read so far and was wondering what are some other book series or standalone books that are similar to this series and worth checking out.
#2RuzinusPosted 7/19/2011 2:05:45 AM
There's a lot going on in Kingkiller, so... similar in what way?

To me, Lev Grossman's The Magicians had a similar feel to Kingkiller. Each story is fairly modular. Each involves, but is not entirely consumed by, a university setting. Each ultimately cares more about the protagonist than anything else in the story. But, The Magicians is closer to urban fantasy than epic fantasy.
---
FOR THE LUNDRAY!
"It's really big, but it's cursed."
#3MagusRebornPosted 7/19/2011 3:22:08 AM
and The Magicians was terrible, im sorry but it really was just boring and depressing.
---
my argonian hunting argonian will wear an argonian suit...
... his name will be silences-lambs-Stiks27 on Skyrim
#4RuzinusPosted 7/19/2011 8:06:48 AM
Is there something wrong with you? Are you broken?
---
FOR THE LUNDRAY!
"It's really big, but it's cursed."
#5Theon_GreyjoyPosted 7/19/2011 9:14:02 AM
I think Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy has a similar feel and pacing. I'm not a huge fan of either though.
---
EndOfDiscOne
#6MagusRebornPosted 7/22/2011 12:46:01 AM
Am i broken? the whole series was about always wanting something and never quite getting it! it was intended to be depressing!

as for boring well i had an extremley hard time finishing it, parts were interesting like the Test to get in and the teacher in the ice but mostly BORING
---
my argonian hunting argonian will wear an argonian suit...
... his name will be silences-lambs-Stiks27 on Skyrim