Physical or digital books: Which do you prefer and why?

#1hellraiser3000Posted 5/15/2012 10:27:47 PM
I see the convenience of digital books but I prefer the feel of physical books. I love holding them in my hand and the smell of a good used book.
#2SonofMetalGearPosted 5/15/2012 11:48:33 PM
actual physical books are better. Gotta have the real thing instead of downling an ebook onto those fancy schmancy kindle doohickeys
---
Technically been an original G member since 1998 before CJayC left
#3PurestProdigyPosted 5/16/2012 12:44:46 AM
Searching by flipping through pages to find something is usually more convenient than the methods provided by digital books.

I know some simulate page flipping but it's not as efficient with bigger books.
---
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|||||||||||||]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#4IgnatiusReillyPosted 5/16/2012 2:58:37 AM
Electronic books are a perversion, I much prefer the traditional book which is primarily made out of paper.
#5SinrothPosted 5/16/2012 3:37:13 AM
E-books are real convenient, but it can be a damn nightmare to find certain parts in them.
---
"The only measure of a man on the internet is whether or not he has been sig'd" - adifferentcity
#6My_Momma_SaidPosted 5/16/2012 4:54:24 AM
I prefer ebooks for the convenience and being able to keep multiple books with me at a light weight. I just keep an old copy of Moby Dick sitting by my reading chair so that I can lean over and get a whiff whenever I need my book smell fix and then go back to reading my ebook.
#7xXEldestXxPosted 5/16/2012 5:46:35 AM
I prefer physical copies when I can get them at a reasonable price. If I can't manage that, I'll borrow the ebook from my library.
---
Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects.
#8ElementalWindPosted 5/16/2012 6:32:55 AM
I find it convenient to have a PDF on hand for quick reference, but if I'm actually using the book for something, I prefer turning my head between my computer screen and the actual book over switching workspaces all the time (I also have a lot more space on my desk than on my screen). What annoys me is when the "HTML version" of a book gets split with every little section in a separate HTML page. I'd rather just have PDF and be able to scroll instead of clicking "next."

Searching by flipping through pages to find something is usually more convenient than the methods provided by digital books.
Kind of sad, isn't it?
---
Now, if we'd just use postfix syntax like sensible people, this wouldn't even be an issue. -scudobuio
#9palomaalexaPosted 5/16/2012 11:00:34 AM
I am not exclusive to either, but I do prefer digital for convenience. I think I do own more physical than digital books at the moment.
---
http://i.imgur.com/cWhUY.jpg
LOVE OUT LOUD
#10ShadowQueenPosted 5/16/2012 11:44:00 AM
Prefer physical, but I'll take the digital format if it's cheaper.
---
Reading: Giant George; The Shadow Rising
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles