Does anyone recognise this map?

#1al amanPosted 1/27/2013 12:07:55 PM
I was looking through some old folders of mine when I stumbled across this map:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6600/aeoria.jpg

I suspect it belongs to a book series or something like that, unfortunately I cant remember anything about it, and searching for different names found on the map doesn't turn up anything either.

The file seem to be from around 2001 or so (modified date on the file is 23. august 2001) so I probably downloaded it around then.

So does anyone recognize this map?

It's really irritating me that I have this map, but have no idea where it's from, so any help is appreciated.
---
Anything that doesn't kill you better be dead afterwards.
#2rockyoumonkeysPosted 1/27/2013 12:17:47 PM
Considering that "Confederacy" is spelled wrong on the map, I'm guessing it's from someone's terrible amateur work. It clearly didn't come from something that was actually published.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton
#3arcanejaPosted 1/27/2013 12:31:26 PM
Were you involved in any pen & paper roleplaying games at that time, by any chance?
---
~arc
What can you do when all the stars in the sky belong to you?
#4Savior08Posted 1/27/2013 12:56:20 PM
Maybe it's from a board game
---
Never did build that glass castle.
#5al aman(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 1:32:09 PM
I'm relatively sure it's not from any board games. If it had been I suspect I'd have been a bit more lucky with my google searches. Also, board games simply wasn't an interest of mine at that time.

And while I was interested i Pen & Paper games around then, I wasn't actually involved in any groups or games like that.

I also hadn't started reading fanfiction stories yet, so it's not from anything like that either.

But I were reading a lot of fantasy books around then, which is why I'm suspecting a book series or something like that.
---
Anything that doesn't kill you better be dead afterwards.
#6owyn_merrilinPosted 1/27/2013 3:47:12 PM
Whatever it is, it doesn't have much of a presence on the internet. Tineye turned up exactly zero results, which is not something you see often. Googling for various terms on the map, including Aeoria (which judging by the file name, I'm guessing is the name of the world) just turns up unrelated results, like people who apparently pulled a screenname from the same set of scrabble tiles. Very interesting.
#7metaIsluggPosted 1/28/2013 7:49:53 AM
Considering it uses most dreadful font "Papyrus", it was probably you who made it. Or some dude.
---
sig
#8rockyoumonkeysPosted 1/28/2013 9:49:29 AM
al aman posted...

But I were reading a lot of fantasy books around then, which is why I'm suspecting a book series or something like that.

It's not a book series. Not a legitimately published one anyway. Again: glaring typo. (And not an accidental typo; that's the kind of typo made by someone who doesn't know how to spell the word.)

So it's either a self-published piece of ****, or it's something else entirely.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton
#9battleblastPosted 1/28/2013 10:17:00 AM
Reminds me of one of the maps from Diplomacy.

http://vdiplomacy.com/variants.php
---
Civilized men are more discourteous than savages they can be impolite without having their skulls split.
Official Phantom Stranger of the C&GN
#10Abyssmal FiendPosted 1/28/2013 11:06:49 AM(edited)
We know it's not Diplomacy because Diplomacy generally avoids water (which this map has a lot of) and because each individual province isn't prominent.

We can also gather that it's not a widely known work because unique phrases -- like "Desiri Empire" -- don't return any results on Google. If it was an online fanfic, they'd turn up (unless the map was 100% superfluous and none of the bolded names or Dwarven cities ever appear).

And, like boing pointed out, the glaring typo -- "Confedaracy" -- says this work was not edited by a professional. And it's a stupid typo, too, and very unlikely that it came from an author. There's also a probable typo in Kara-Amaris -- all the other Dwarven cities are apparently Karar.

This is probably from some tabletop game. A bad custom campaign setting would be my guess. I mean, really, does anyone actually think rivers work like that?
---
"Erst waegen, dann wagen." - Helmuth von Moltke the Elder