Voice Acting Wonder: Patrick Warburton

#1JCvgluvrPosted 8/22/2011 1:05:31 AM
This week: Patrick Warburton!

Stand out roles: Brock Samson (The Venture Bros.), Kronk (The Emperor's New Groove), Joe Swanson (Family Guy).
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0911320/

This is the first topic of several I'd like to make. Each week, I want to feature a voice actor or actress from the animation world that I think is talented or experienced, and hear from you 2 things. 1) What is their best acting role, in your opinion? 2) Why/what makes it memorable?

Quotes from the actor's shows are welcome, and fun!
---
The best game ever made with Mario, Halo, Sonic, Megaman Legends, Kirby, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, and Duke Nukem: http://www.youtube.com/user/MKFusionTeam
#2launchpad25Posted 8/22/2011 4:57:17 AM
As much as I like Patrick Warburton, he doesn't have alot of range as A voice actor. Don't get me wrong, I love his work, but if you put Joe Swanson, Brock Samson, Kronk, Sheriff Stone, and Steve Barkin in the same room, you could barely tell who's who.
#3gguiraoPosted 8/22/2011 12:49:19 PM
I remember him most for the role of David Puddy on Seinfeld, but yes, he has a great voice and presence. It's just that it sounds like he's about to snap at any second.
---
George W. Bush--proof against government intelligence.
#4guncrashdxPosted 8/22/2011 3:53:13 PM
His voice is more obvious than Gilbert Gottfried, and that's really saying something....
---
My name is guncrashdx, but you can just call me TC.
#5tvmasterdoodlesPosted 8/22/2011 4:44:15 PM
i bet he does it just for THE SEXUAL THRILL! THE SEXUAL THRILL! lol
---
Diamond FC:0817-3919-8995
Black FC: 3224 4870 9223
#6Wizard_HowlPosted 8/25/2011 6:48:58 PM
I don't really consider Patrick Warburton a "voice actor". As others have said, every character sounds exactly the same to me. Every time I hear that voice in a cartoon, it's like "Oh, him again". That said, I did enjoy Kronk in The Emperor's New Groove.
---
-------------------------------
#7JCvgluvr(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2011 1:05:40 AM
^Why wouldn't you see him as a voice actor? He's had more voice acting roles than live ones. I dare say he's played better, more famous characters as well, compared to his live ones.

Does anyone really remember his 20 minutes or so of his sub-par acting in MiBII? I don't think so.
---
The best game ever made with Mario, Halo, Sonic, Megaman Legends, Kirby, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, and Duke Nukem: http://www.youtube.com/user/MKFusionTeam
#8RaiuPosted 8/26/2011 6:37:30 AM(edited)
He does only have one voice, but what makes him a good actor is that he still manages to give each role a different personality. Buzz Lightyear (from the animated series, not the movies) sounds appropriately heroic, Kronk sounds appropriately dim, and Brock sounds appropriately on the verge of going into a homicidal rage at any moment.

He doesn't have as much variety as some voice actors (say, Mark Hamil - his normal voice sounds nothing like the Joker or Solomon Grundy - or, one of my favorites, Jim Cummings, whose voice roles range from Winnie the Pooh to Negaduck), but he still puts a different spin on every character.

I don't think I have a favorite Warburton role, though.
---
-Raiutaryuu-
#9FlammableghostPosted 8/26/2011 1:58:59 PM
do voice actor George Lowe next
---
http://www.se51.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Black-Lagoon-Ruanapur-City.jpg
#10Wizard_HowlPosted 8/26/2011 7:47:31 PM
JCvgluvr posted...
^Why wouldn't you see him as a voice actor?

I guess that does come off as a bit extreme. But to me, voice actors need both acting talent and vocal talent. Warburton has a good voice, but he doesn't have that much actual vocal talent. I did just hear his Buzz Lightyear, which I was unfamiliar with, and it is slightly different than the voice he always uses. Maybe he is just a victim of typecasting.

Anyway, great topic! I've been meaning to do one like this for a while now, but just never got around to it.
---
-------------------------------