Voice Acting Wonder: Patrick Warburton

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Cartoons and Animation
  3. Voice Acting Wonder: Patrick Warburton
5 years ago#1
This week: Patrick Warburton!

Stand out roles: Brock Samson (The Venture Bros.), Kronk (The Emperor's New Groove), Joe Swanson (Family Guy).
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0911320/

This is the first topic of several I'd like to make. Each week, I want to feature a voice actor or actress from the animation world that I think is talented or experienced, and hear from you 2 things. 1) What is their best acting role, in your opinion? 2) Why/what makes it memorable?

Quotes from the actor's shows are welcome, and fun!
The best game ever made with Mario, Halo, Sonic, Megaman Legends, Kirby, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, and Duke Nukem: http://www.youtube.com/user/MKFusionTeam
5 years ago#2
As much as I like Patrick Warburton, he doesn't have alot of range as A voice actor. Don't get me wrong, I love his work, but if you put Joe Swanson, Brock Samson, Kronk, Sheriff Stone, and Steve Barkin in the same room, you could barely tell who's who.
5 years ago#3
I remember him most for the role of David Puddy on Seinfeld, but yes, he has a great voice and presence. It's just that it sounds like he's about to snap at any second.
George W. Bush--proof against government intelligence.
5 years ago#4
His voice is more obvious than Gilbert Gottfried, and that's really saying something....
My name is guncrashdx, but you can just call me TC.
5 years ago#5
i bet he does it just for THE SEXUAL THRILL! THE SEXUAL THRILL! lol
Diamond FC:0817-3919-8995
Black FC: 3224 4870 9223
5 years ago#6
I don't really consider Patrick Warburton a "voice actor". As others have said, every character sounds exactly the same to me. Every time I hear that voice in a cartoon, it's like "Oh, him again". That said, I did enjoy Kronk in The Emperor's New Groove.
-------------------------------
5 years ago#7
^Why wouldn't you see him as a voice actor? He's had more voice acting roles than live ones. I dare say he's played better, more famous characters as well, compared to his live ones.

Does anyone really remember his 20 minutes or so of his sub-par acting in MiBII? I don't think so.
The best game ever made with Mario, Halo, Sonic, Megaman Legends, Kirby, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, and Duke Nukem: http://www.youtube.com/user/MKFusionTeam
5 years ago#8
He does only have one voice, but what makes him a good actor is that he still manages to give each role a different personality. Buzz Lightyear (from the animated series, not the movies) sounds appropriately heroic, Kronk sounds appropriately dim, and Brock sounds appropriately on the verge of going into a homicidal rage at any moment.

He doesn't have as much variety as some voice actors (say, Mark Hamil - his normal voice sounds nothing like the Joker or Solomon Grundy - or, one of my favorites, Jim Cummings, whose voice roles range from Winnie the Pooh to Negaduck), but he still puts a different spin on every character.

I don't think I have a favorite Warburton role, though.
-Raiutaryuu-
5 years ago#9
do voice actor George Lowe next
http://www.se51.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Black-Lagoon-Ruanapur-City.jpg
5 years ago#10
JCvgluvr posted...
^Why wouldn't you see him as a voice actor?

I guess that does come off as a bit extreme. But to me, voice actors need both acting talent and vocal talent. Warburton has a good voice, but he doesn't have that much actual vocal talent. I did just hear his Buzz Lightyear, which I was unfamiliar with, and it is slightly different than the voice he always uses. Maybe he is just a victim of typecasting.

Anyway, great topic! I've been meaning to do one like this for a while now, but just never got around to it.
-------------------------------
  1. Boards
  2. Cartoons and Animation
  3. Voice Acting Wonder: Patrick Warburton

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived