My Little Pony XXXIX: "Jet Set Radio Vinyl!" (Official FiM Discussion Topic)

#321Inferno Dive DragoonPosted 4/19/2013 8:09:04 AM
They probably already have considering how poorly handled the build up for Alicorn Twilight was. However it does seem like they are deadset creating an alicorn mythology using Twilight as the medium to develop the ideas on what it means it to be a princess and an alicorn. It would have been nice had it been more centered on Luna and Celestia, but I suppose a young and inexperienced one like Twilght will have to do.

That's one of the many reasons why Twilicorn annoys me so much, that after several seasons of speculating about aliocrn lore, everything we knew from Faust involving Celestia & Luna was torched and being rebuilt from the ground up by McCarthy using Twilight (and maybe Cadence) instead.

As a result of that I can't say I'm as interested in learning about alicorns now as I was before, and I wonder if Celestia & Luna are going to end up neglected/discarded as a result of the new Twilicorn focus. Unlike the other mane 5, McCarthy isn't exactly under any obligation to give supporting cast their due, nor am I aware of her personal opinion of Celestia & Luna. (Though given how "off to the side/suddenly ineffective" they were when it came to A Canterlot Wedding and The Crystal Empire...)
---

And now we are seeing McCarthy and Hasbro reshape MLPFIM to conform to their vision and creative control. They do seem to be perverting some of Faust's original intentions for the show just to sell some toys, but that is part of the business I suppose.

The terrible irony here is that Faust's attempt to give MLP a kick in the pants was partially to help move it away from being purely toyetic (much in the same vein as those who made Beast Wars for Transformers), and now there's a possible risk that MLP is heading right in the same direction before this generation even closes out.

This is also why I'm weary of Equestria Girls, because even though it might be G4 as well, it's G4 without Faust to help convince folks to give it a chance.
---

I think Faust did a better a job at replying to complaints and criticisms though as McCarthy responses have been more polarizing depending on the nature and context of such remarks.

It probably helped that Faust didn't have any noted favoritism that leaked into the show (same with some of the other staff), and thus a lack of accusations that could be made about certain decisions she made. Whereas everything McCarthy does is always going to carry that suspicion that she's doing it just for Twilight.
---

I like to think Twilight never mentioned Shining Armor anytime earlier before A Canterlot Wedding so she could prevent her friends from meeting him and keeping him all to herself.

Not surprisingly, when it comes to fanworks that play around with the idea of Shining Armor hooking up with one of the mane 6 instead, the vast majority have him end up with Twilight one way or another whether by outright incestuous hook-up or by having him decide to not get married at all and just keep hanging with Twilight ...while still being vaguely incestuous.

Ah well, just means more CadencexChrysalis/Cadenza.
---
N/A
#322Inferno Dive DragoonPosted 4/19/2013 8:17:12 AM
That was just ironic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_bomb_scare

I like how ridiculously paranoid they were for a harmless prank and yet somehow dropped the ball on an event that supposedly already had security assigned to it.
---

Wasn't there a statement in some interview or something before the movie was released that if the movie was successful there would most likely be a new anime?

I'm down for anything that continues to render GT as lulzly non-canon.
---

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/531/087/3bb.jpeg

really?

To quote myself from Derpibooru;

Hoo boyÖ I wonder how long itíll take for this stunt to start creeping up on her DeviantArt and such? If she thought she was being harassed before, I canít begin to imagine the possible fallout from this.

Admittedly, yeah, I was one of those who thought she had been wronged before in regards to the BronyCon funds incident (some of those accusations just donít add up), but I think this just curbed a lot of sympathy for her.
---

I dare say more of the focus and problems should be placed on her new title which seems to be the one thing that impacts and changes her role the most in the long run. The alicorn thing seems to be more of a cosmetic move to sell more toys while making Twilight a little more versatile, while the whole princess thing is a move that fundamentally alters the dynamics of the show and Twilight's role on the show.

The princess thing is less worrying partially because there's *some* reasoning behind it (whether you think take it from Faust or McCarthy's view), whereas the alicorn thing is just out of nowhere with no real logic outside of favoritism on the part of Hasbro or McCarthy.

As well, McCarthy has already told us that Twilight isn't relocating to Canterlot, isn't going to be wearing her royal regalia (even her crown thingy) beyond special occasions, and even the royal formalities are going to be skipped when it comes to the others addressing her. For all intents and purposes they're already playing down or ignoring the princess stuff.

On the other hand however, McCarthy has already said she's going to spend the next two episodes with Twilight getting accustomed to being an alicorn, from a history lesson on the race to possibility even a flying lesson even though she was shown flying just fine. Hell, Equestria Girls hasn't even been released yet and they've already changed the character designs just to ensure that Twilicorn got to keep her wings, but it's doubtful that her title as a princess will be relevant. (If it gets brought up at all.)
---

Who here has seen the older series? Recently I have been watching all the old episodes/specials & am part way through "My Little Pony Tales". It's interesting to see the origins of ideas in Friendship is Magic. For example the plot of The Ticket Master seems to be inspired by the Tales episode "And the Winner is..."

I watched G1 back in the day when I was younger. Alongside Transformers, it was one of the very first shows I can remember watching and enjoying, which is why I've grown as attached as I am to Friendship is Magic because it was great seeing another franchise from my childhood getting a new chance to shine ...and subsequently why I get agitated about certain developments because Hasbro still treats it like a "dumb girl's show just for selling toys" regardless of the potential that Faust brought to it.
---
N/A
#323King_Shortt_IXPosted 4/19/2013 11:41:21 AM(edited)
The alicorns snatched them and reformatted the unicoms pony types. Oops, wrong gen

Scratch that thought. That could make for an interesting episode to see the fallout of what happens when a pony race disappears.

The princess thing is less worrying partially because there's *some* reasoning behind it (whether you think take it from Faust or McCarthy's view), whereas the alicorn thing is just out of nowhere with no real logic outside of favoritism on the part of Hasbro or McCarthy.

Both were handled rather awkwardly, but I had to groan when Fluttershy made that remark about Twilight looking like a princess.

On the other hand however, McCarthy has already said she's going to spend the next two episodes with Twilight getting accustomed to being an alicorn, from a history lesson on the race to possibility even a flying lesson even though she was shown flying just fine

I don't expect them to be consistent on the matter considering they are overhauling everything just for Twilight, but I am hoping to get some answers to some of the questions that MMC left unanswered in its rush to alicornize and crown Twilight. I want to see the next two episodes written by her to see if she can back up the claims she has made about Twilight.

For all intents and purposes they're already playing down or ignoring the princess stuff.

I am more intrigued to see what McCarthy defines as toning it down. It is probably for the best the are keeping things casual for the most part as the show would get slowed down with excessive formalities.

Nothing like having great hope for something, only to lose it.
http://csimadmax.deviantart.com/art/hopeless-366330414?offset=10#comments
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#324NGagePosted 4/19/2013 8:08:03 PM
NocturneD85 posted...
I think there was another episode where the unicorns suddenly vanished and the gang had to go out and find them (i know it wasn't the 1st movie either) because this one had a song called "Where did the unicorns go?" or atleast that's what i think it was called.

Yeah whenever the unicorns winked out (teleported), they never came back (even if the intended destination was a few feet away).

Inferno Dive Dragoon posted...
I'm down for anything that continues to render GT as lulzly non-canon.

Actually GT might be validated by this.The movie introduces the idea of there being twelve universes, a universe where GT happened might be one of those.
---
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a bad game is bad forever." - Shigeru Miyamoto
#325King_Shortt_IXPosted 4/19/2013 8:51:54 PM(edited)
To fly or teleport. That is Twilight's new transportation problem. Maybe she should do both.

I wonder if Celestia & Luna are going to end up neglected/discarded as a result of the new Twilicorn focus.

They already are neglected enough as is, but I would rather have them ignored than to turn into mere objects for Twilight to surpass, and so far Twilight has shown no signs of slowing down when it comes to self- improvement in increasing her abilities.

Though it is interesting to see Rainbow Dash go from teasing Twilight often into probably the first out of the other five to come to Twilight 's defense .
---
#326CyberneticRatPosted 4/19/2013 9:54:59 PM
A theory's been floating around that Princess Celestia actually promoted Twilight to Princesshood so she could have more power. After Luna's banishment, Equestria was an absolute monarchy. Now that Luna is back, Celestia has to share power and she can't just go throwing legislations left and right because Luna has to agree to them too. With Twilight in the scene, Celestia can practically have her agree to every law she passes and Luna's voting against them would do nothing.
---
Gamer Tag: MANNKILLER83
Proud Supporter of The Wonderbolts
#327King_Shortt_IXPosted 4/20/2013 4:39:43 AM(edited)
Twilight could provide a third wheel to balance Celestia and Luna, but Celestia seems content to split duties with Luna. Besides Luna seems to be okay with Twilicorn considering she was the first one to grab that Starswirl spell book, so I take it Celestia actually bothered to talk Luna concerning Twilight.

One would think they could have used Cadence instead if they needed a third wheel, but I suppose Celestia had already had a plan in store for her. It is no secret that Twilight is viewed highly by Celestia and thus Celestia may feel Twilight could do better and greater things as an alicorn princess. Though the move may her manipulating things so Twilight will become the pony Celestia wants her to be.

Or it could be a move to ensure Twilight's continued support and service . Whatever the reason may be it looks like Twilight was right about Celestia holding Twilight's fate in her hooves .
---
#328The Catgirl FondlerPosted 4/20/2013 6:39:03 AM
Actually GT might be validated by this.

Well, poo.
---

A theory's been floating around that Princess Celestia actually promoted Twilight to Princesshood so she could have more power. After Luna's banishment, Equestria was an absolute monarchy. Now that Luna is back, Celestia has to share power and she can't just go throwing legislations left and right because Luna has to agree to them too. With Twilight in the scene, Celestia can practically have her agree to every law she passes and Luna's voting against them would do nothing.

Accusations of Tyrantlestia are hardly new, the only thing that's changed is the method by which Celestia gets accused each season.

Naturally, this same theory also tends to be followed by the idea of Celestia needing to be taken down/de-alicorned and Twilight taking her place while ruling in total fairness with Luna, because Luna has *never* had thoughts about being the sole ruler of Equestria or made any evil plans whatsoever.

Seriously, the wanton hypocrisy/white-knighting from the majority of the fandom in regards to Luna is a large part of why I can't bring myself to like her completely because her fanboys are *that* insufferable (with Twilight ones doing their damnedest to catch up), to say nothing of how suffocating her presence is with fanworks altogether.

Not that Celestia did herself any favors during season 3 with some of her actions (it even managed to annoy *me*), but I hope it isn't leading up to Celestia becoming an antagonist/villain herself, the last damn thing I need is a bunch of Luna fanboys gloating about how they "were right all along".
---
N/A
#329GigaraverPosted 4/20/2013 11:10:33 AM
This is late, but...

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/04/horselike-pony-plushies.html

Rarity - "There are you are Fluttershy dear! Are you coming to the spa today?"

??? - "I'M NOT FLUTTERSHY!!"

Rarity - *wakes up* YAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!
---
Gamertag - The Hyperdon --- {Now Playing: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3}
Nintendo 3DS FC - [3394 - 3563 - 6616]
#330brian577Posted 4/20/2013 1:55:11 PM
Well I guess we can be certain that at least one aspect of Equestria Girls won't suck.
https://www.facebook.com/dannyimusic/posts/514998685214375
---
Love and Toleration, it is a difficult concept.