Gaming Firsts (The Evolution of Gaming)

#1shadestreetPosted 2/17/2012 2:16:02 AM
Intent: Document significant steps in the evolution of gaming in a standard format

Format: YYYY/MM (if month available), Brief Description of Step, Platform, Title (N/A if the step is hardware related, like SNES to include L/R buttons), Publisher, Misc comments if needed

Got the idea after reading "Ready Player One", which had a lengthy commentary on how Adventure for Atari was the first videogame to include an easter egg. I started thinking about all the other 'gaming firsts' out there and assumed there would be an existing list/database. I found a promising article by students at Carnegie Melon, but the link with the data was dead. Other searches only had a handful of things.

Thought we could leverage our knowledge and build an evolving list. If it already exists and I just didn't find it, please enlighten!

Otherwise, might as well do it here. I will start, ideally try to stick to the format noted above, copy the most recent list (until we hit character max I guess), and add/update/correct what you can.

Many of the entries may inspire debate - that is ok as long we keep it healthy. For example, "First Master Quest" - do I choose Super Mario Bros, since after beating it you play through again and it is slightly harder, or do I choose Zelda, because it has a fully realized second quest with altered dungeons?

Also keep in mind many of the first attempts may be incorrect, if you know of something earlier, correct it as needed. No need to attack people because they cite FF7 as the first character death in a game.
#2shadestreet(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2012 2:35:42 AM
1979/12, Easter Egg, Atari 2600, Adventure, Atari
1980, End Boss, Arcade, Phoenix, Amstar
1988/12,Character Death, NES, Final Fantasy 2, Square
1995/3, New Game+, SNES, Chrono Trigger, Square
1991/11, First Person Shooter, PC, Catacombs 3-D, id, Or should it be Wolfenstein?
1982/12, Licensed Game, Atari 2600, E.T., Atari
1986, Cheat Code, NES, Gradius, Konami
1997/08, Unlockable Cheats, N64, Goldeneye, Rare
#3DavidXNPosted 2/17/2012 7:29:44 AM
The term "first first person shooter" is one that nobody's ever been able to pin down - you're quite welcome to invite debate on it ;) I would think that Wolfenstein 3D is the one that made people aware of the genre, and Doom the one that really exploded it... before that, there was Catacombs 3D, but it's predated by Hovertank 3D (I think... I can only find release dates of '1991' for them both).

And even before that, there are games like Dark Side, Driller and the other Freescape Engine games, which let you explore a world in 3D and interact with objects by "shooting" them... how flexible is the definition you're going for?

I apologize in advance for ruining this topic.
---
http://www.crystaltowers2.com - An action platformer Metroid-Zelda/Mario 64ish thing.
It only took me since 2007 to get it finished!
#4PStrifePosted 2/17/2012 8:48:57 AM
Except that the TG16 game Silent Debuggers further predates that, not to mention that old late 60s FPS computer game that was made.
#5BlueGunstarHeroPosted 2/17/2012 8:58:29 AM
For licensed games, I'd double check some game histories. Maybe ET was the biggest license release, but I know ET isn't the first, although I'm not too sure what is.

I know Superman came out for the 2600 in 1978, official sports licenses (NHL, NFL) started in 79 on the Intellivision, and if you only mean film licenses, Raiders of the Lost Ark for 2600 came out just before ET did.

There's also been DnD games since the 70s, but some of the earlier ones didn't carry licenses, not sure when TSR really got involved.
---
Latest: My Review of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Found on gamingsymmetry.com at http://bit.ly/uvTQbZ
#6Cinder6Posted 2/17/2012 9:13:40 AM
Wong, wasn't there an even older first-person tank game that had wireframe graphics? Its name eludes me, though.
---
stop picking on balloon fight. - kuddy53
PSN: Cinder6 | My backlog: http://backloggery.com/cinder6
#7Zohar_MetatronPosted 2/17/2012 9:20:35 AM
Battlezone?

And I believe the first licensed game was Death Race.
---
THORG HUNGRY
THORG WANT EAT
#8shadestreet(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2012 9:50:10 AM
1979/12, Easter Egg, Atari 2600, Adventure, Atari
1980, End Boss, Arcade, Phoenix, Amstar
1988/12,Character Death, NES, Final Fantasy 2, Square
1995/3, New Game+, SNES, Chrono Trigger, Square
1973,First Person Shooter (Progenitor),Imlac,Maze War, Steve Colley
1992/05, First Person Shooter (Proper), PC, Wolfenstein 3-D, id
1978, Licensed Game, Atari 2600, Superman, Atari
1986, Cheat Code, NES, Gradius, Konami
1997/08, Unlockable Cheats, N64, Goldeneye, Rare
1973,Level Editor,Imlac,Maze War, Steve Colley
1973,Network Play,Imlac,Maze War, Steve Colley
1986,Online Play,Imlac,Maze War, Steve Colley
#9shadestreet(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2012 9:56:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone - would be interested in additinoal innovations too.

Death Race was inspired by the movie, but not licensed. Nowadays it would probably earn a lawsuit.

I'll keep Superman for now, till we find something earlier.

Maze War which I had never heard of until today is amazing. I had no idea it was so influential!
#10UD4Posted 2/17/2012 12:32:56 PM
Wasn't Wizardry 4 the first time you played as a villain from another game in the series?
---
(\(\ ~ Hardcore - We'll probably be modded for this...
(='.') ~ THIS ARE SERIOUS CHAT. I ARE SERIOUS ADMIN. ~ CJayC