Is It Worth Collecting Video Games?

#21MILAD_786(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 2:44:52 PM
For people thinking my question is stupid this board is for game collectors. I want to see their opinions if collecting games was worth it.
#22BodeciaBustPosted 4/19/2013 3:50:03 PM
MILAD_786 posted...
For people thinking my question is stupid this board is for game collectors. I want to see their opinions if collecting games was worth it.

What? You're asking people to decide what you enjoy. That does not seem mad to you?

KingJames304 posted...
BodeciaBust posted...
Didn't read your paragraph but, if I may be honest, that's a stupid question. You know if it's worth it, since the worth is emotional and in your head. Is this something that would for some reason make you happy? Then yes, blow me down, it would be worth it. If you don't want to collect, then don't, why are you asking this question you crazy person?

Unless you're talking about actual money, in which case I'd still say that's stupid, because there are far better investments to make.

No need to be rude to the guy.

No need for your reply.
---
Made you look.
#23ZeoDefenderPosted 4/19/2013 4:23:50 PM
MILAD_786 posted...

I'm not sure what you want us to say here. You're already a gamer who owns a collection. Your collection will grow bigger and bigger as you buy games you're interested in. That's it.
---
"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets." - The Brigadier
#24GhostSweeperPosted 4/20/2013 7:29:45 AM
I think the question he is asking is "Looking back on our collections we have amassed do we feel any sense of regret over any purchases? Have we bought too many? Do we have a nice collection that we enjoy and are/were there times we wished we'd not bothered or bought more when the price was lower etc"
Maybe I'm wrong though...
---
www.playingwithsuperpower.com [~16-bit 4-LIFE~]
#25MILAD_786(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 7:56:06 AM
GhostSweeper posted...
I think the question he is asking is "Looking back on our collections we have amassed do we feel any sense of regret over any purchases? Have we bought too many? Do we have a nice collection that we enjoy and are/were there times we wished we'd not bothered or bought more when the price was lower etc"

Actually you are right
#26MILAD_786(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 10:28:36 AM
How about we change the topic : WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SYSTEM TO COLLECT GAMES FOR?

People dont seem to like this so maybe you can answer to this!
#27JackBurton85Posted 4/20/2013 7:21:05 PM(edited)
MILAD_786 posted...

This is a board for people who enjoy classic games, not specifically for game collecting.

The question simply doesn't make sense to me. What exactly do you mean by "collecting"? Are you asking if it's a good idea to just accumulate games just for the sake of having a crapton of em? Or are you asking if you should bother getting an nes or snes console for example and buying games for it rather then simply finding the games through wii marketplace or xbox marketplace or through emulation?

If it's the former, no, if it's the latter, then it's completely up to you. No one can change your mind as to whether you enjoy having a collection of your fav snes games or not. It's unlikely anyone can make you believe having a hard copy collection of your fav games is the best way of doing things if you don't already have a strong interest in doing so

GhostSweeper posted...

"Actually you are right"

You should have just said this to begin with. This isn't a bad topic of discussion by any means. My answer, yes. I've spent more money then i should have on certain games, i've bought a game i used to love only to discover how strong nostalgia can be haha, then you're stuck with a game you now recognize as crap. This def doesn't make me think buying classic games isn't worth it though, not by any means. A few bad buys isn't a big deal at all in the grand scheme of things, you're likely to encounter that with new games as well.
#28DarrentgPosted 4/20/2013 11:57:53 PM
I can't emphasize it enough: Moderation. Keep a good pace, don't go crazy on it, and only buy games you actually want to play. Don't buy games as an investment.

Just do it to have fun!
---
http://www.backloggery.com/darrentg
Shmup mecca: http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/27/list-games-Shmups-1-0-100-name-asc-0.htm
#29andri_gPosted 4/26/2013 12:36:39 AM
MILAD_786 posted...
Hi everyone!
I really love video games! Its a big hobby of mine and I wouldn't know what it would be like for me if I didnt encounter it. Im thinking of starting of collecting video games even though I may not have many systems (I currently own a PS3, Gamecube, NDS, DSi and a PSP) but hopefully this will expand sometime. I really love the previous eras of video games but for me to experience it I have to play on an emulator. I see people on YouTube like MetalJesusRocks, PeteDorr, HappyConsoleGamer etc have very good collections of games and I too would like to have something sort of like that. Im thinking of starting slowly by buying maybe 1-3 video games per month mainly focusing on PS2 just for now since where I live in the UK PS2 games are very cheap and there is a wide variety in local game stores. Once I build up a small collection I intend of collecting games for another system and also buy systems. What do you guys think? Should I start collecting or is it just a waste of money bearing in mind im not going to be an avid collector, paying hundreds just for a single game...

Games are the life-blood of any gaming community and gamers are the heartbeat. Collectors are the plaque that give gamers, who just want to play the games, heart attacks. There always will be some games that collectors latch onto, buy up, and drive the price up and beyond what most gamers can afford. Its sad, but true.

Having said this, I think your plan to start collecting games is a good one provided you commit to doing it as a source of entertainment and not as an investment. Someone else in this topic (apologies for not being able to recall who) also posted a comment along the lines of one of the keys to success in collecting is "buying in moderation:" not buying too many or paying too much at a time. Also good advice.

Use it as an opportunity to try to find the games that flew under the radar or were underappreciated when they were released. For some leads, check out the Metacritic ratings or read some gamers reviews on games in the genres that you already know that you like.

Good luck building your collectiion and, most importantly, happy gaming.
#30MILAD_786(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 3:11:07 PM