How is Gwen not Peter's fault? (spoilers)

#1Cena_Is_SexyPosted 4/17/2012 8:38:20 PM
People like to blame Goblin for this one, but let's be honest...he's a crazy bastard. Ignorantly crazy even. Peter, knowing he had enemies should be very outright about who is and what he does and insist to Gwen that they keep their relationship secret and that NOBODY knows of it. If Gwen can't deal with that...fine if you love it let it go. Her life could have been saved right there.

Now, all that aside, we'll fast forward to the Goblin throwing her off a bridge. Mr "I can calculate s*** like nothing because I'm a genius" catches her with his webs and breaks her neck. Now, he's done this tons of times and never before have any necks been broken, or afterwords. It makes no sense. It's almost has if he meant do it on some subconscious level. I know he didn't, but it's still ignorant story telling. No matter how you look at it, Spiderman catching Gwen like a douche, for the first and ONLY time is what killed Gwen. Sure, Norman dropped her....but Spider-Man saving falling people is kind of something he does on a damned regular basis, with little to no issue. Hell sometimes he manages to catch people inches from the ground. This ONE time(when it's somebody he loves more than anything btw) he ignorantly messes up and causes such a bad case of whiplash, she dies. It's his fault and lack of calculation in my opinion, and it doesn't jive with the character. It's his fault, and it's also bad writing. I'm a fan of Spidey, but I sure can't condone this. It was never right as a story, but it's such an iconic moment. I don't think bad writing should be such an integral part of history, once again in my opinion.
---
Repent.
#2DonomarkPosted 4/17/2012 8:44:17 PM
What most people either don't know or forget is that Peter had a mad cold and could barely fight in the issue.
---
"Let me save us all some time: You won't agree and this thread will continue."-TheVerbos
#3gamesrgreatPosted 4/17/2012 8:47:58 PM

It's almost has if he meant do it on some subconscious level.

He wanted to bang his hot neighbor
---
The Miami Heat
#4scooter2929Posted 4/17/2012 8:53:08 PM
Yeah Peter wanted her dead that it......
You ever think Gwen didn't just fall like a rock and moved around which is why Pete missed? So i guess Gwen wanted to die so she to blame or just maybe we could blame to guy who tossed her.
---
The Official [D] [E] [S] [T] [R] [O] [Y] [E] [R] of C&GN
What a superhero without a super villain?... A fool in tights. Superpowers.
#5Cena_Is_Sexy(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2012 8:55:57 PM
scooter2929 posted...
Yeah Peter wanted her dead that it......
You ever think Gwen didn't just fall like a rock and moved around which is why Pete missed? So i guess Gwen wanted to die so she to blame or just maybe we could blame to guy who tossed her.

Well, I said, it wasn't actually his intention, I just said it seems that way.
---
Repent.
#6scooter2929Posted 4/17/2012 9:04:23 PM
Well, I said, it wasn't actually his intention, I just said it seems that way.
Why would it? you act like him failing must means he wanted to.
---
#7Cena_Is_Sexy(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2012 9:20:06 PM
Well, it's not as if anybody falling didn't thrash about. Why this one time did he fail? It's at least suspect. Even then, she officially died from him catching her. It was HIS fault at the end of the day.
---
Repent.
#8Dan0429Posted 4/17/2012 9:25:53 PM
Yeah. I agree. In a way it was his fault. Although the whole reason that story was done was because a bunch of comic fans like us wanted MJ to be his love interest. So in a way, the fans killed her.
---
"That's another reason why you must die, Parker. Only you know who the Green Goblin is just like I know who Spider-Man is." Green Goblin ASM #40
#9scooter2929Posted 4/17/2012 9:36:44 PM
Why this one time did he fail? It's at least suspect.
Yeah no one died around Pete other then Gwen and he never missed before and someone just pointed out he was sick too.

Even then, she officially died from him catching her. It was HIS fault at the end of the day
Really... it Pete fault for trying to save her from the acts of GG, so you would blame the guy who tried to save her from death not the guy who tossed her? But hey if Peter didn't act everything would of turn out great!
---
#10RAVEN79Posted 4/17/2012 9:43:56 PM
Cena_Is_Sexy posted...
People like to blame Goblin for this one, but let's be honest...he's a crazy bastard. Ignorantly crazy even. Peter, knowing he had enemies should be very outright about who is and what he does and insist to Gwen that they keep their relationship secret and that NOBODY knows of it. If Gwen can't deal with that...fine if you love it let it go. Her life could have been saved right there.

Now, all that aside, we'll fast forward to the Goblin throwing her off a bridge. Mr "I can calculate s*** like nothing because I'm a genius" catches her with his webs and breaks her neck. Now, he's done this tons of times and never before have any necks been broken, or afterwords. It makes no sense. It's almost has if he meant do it on some subconscious level. I know he didn't, but it's still ignorant story telling. No matter how you look at it, Spiderman catching Gwen like a douche, for the first and ONLY time is what killed Gwen. Sure, Norman dropped her....but Spider-Man saving falling people is kind of something he does on a damned regular basis, with little to no issue. Hell sometimes he manages to catch people inches from the ground. This ONE time(when it's somebody he loves more than anything btw) he ignorantly messes up and causes such a bad case of whiplash, she dies. It's his fault and lack of calculation in my opinion, and it doesn't jive with the character. It's his fault, and it's also bad writing. I'm a fan of Spidey, but I sure can't condone this. It was never right as a story, but it's such an iconic moment. I don't think bad writing should be such an integral part of history, once again in my opinion.

Because you touch yourself at night.