What do you think scares potential comic readers away most? (Poll)

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. What do you think scares potential comic readers away most? (Poll)
2 years ago#1
What do you think scares potential comic readers away most? - Results (192 votes)
Continuity
43.23% (83 votes)
Cost
35.94% (69 votes)
Lack of physical book stores/disdain for E-comics
10.42% (20 votes)
Other
10.42% (20 votes)
This poll is now closed.
?
---
Check my game, film, and comic book reviews at http://joforeviews.blogspot.com/
2 years ago#2
Cost.

Not just money, but time.

Reading costs time.
---
The Official Manchester Black of the C&GN Board
"Fly me to the moon, and let me play among the stars. . . "
2 years ago#3
Continuity kept me away for a while. I had zero idea where to start and had doubts on whether I should dedicate myself to a comic when chances are they'd just reboot something or cancel a series. Then I just learned to stop caring and enjoy stories for what they are, and I've been collecting since.
---
...Ok, lets put it this way.
Dracula is vampire Jesus. ~red255
2 years ago#4
General lack of interest, combined with alternate outlets for similar kinds of entertainment. I think most people would just rather watch a movie or play a video game than sit down and read a comic book featuring the same characters and concepts.
---
Check out my Hawkman blog, The Stonechat Museum, at:
thestonechatmuseum.blogspot.com
2 years ago#5
Continuity first, then cost.

Those are two major humps, comics are an expensive hobby.
---
I ****ing love to cuddle.
I'm being oppressed!
2 years ago#6
I don't think disdain for ebooks and lack of LCS' should be in the same thing. I don't think think the average potential comic reader has a disdain for ebooks. I think the average potential comic reader doesn't have that much knowledge of them.

I also think the lack of LCS' plays a factor. I live in a fairly heavily populated area of Northern Virginia and we have one LCS.

The combination of the two plays a big part in new readers not getting involved.
---
Rudimentary creatures of bone and flesh. You touch my balls fumbling in ignorance--incapable of understanding
2 years ago#7
DC Continuity terrified me. I saw that the New52 as a good entry point, so I jumped in on it.
Now cost is holding me back to just trade waiting. (In the case of DC trades, trade hibernating...)
2 years ago#8
I wonder what kind of effect it would have on comics if nothing was numbered anymore except story-lines.

So we got a new number one with each new arc.
2 years ago#9
Continuity also kept me away from DC for a long time, and theirs was particularly tough to get into at a time. I just chose which one's I waned to read and tried to learn as much background info afterward.
---
I tried the Nu52...I want Marvel NOW!
2 years ago#10
Figuring out where to start is always the issue. Comics need to break the stigma that a reader must have read everything prior to that book in order to enjoy or understand it.
---
"This is the work of Dalang. His skill makes us believe that we see a war between two great armies, but there is no war. There is only the Dalang."
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. What do you think scares potential comic readers away most? (Poll)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived