What do you think scares potential comic readers away most? (Poll)

#1themysteryPosted 2/20/2013 10:22:05 PM
What do you think scares potential comic readers away most? - Results (192 votes)
Continuity
43.23% (83 votes)
Cost
35.94% (69 votes)
Lack of physical book stores/disdain for E-comics
10.42% (20 votes)
Other
10.42% (20 votes)
This poll is now closed.
?
---
Check my game, film, and comic book reviews at http://joforeviews.blogspot.com/
#2Black OutPosted 2/20/2013 10:29:20 PM
Cost.

Not just money, but time.

Reading costs time.
---
The Official Manchester Black of the C&GN Board
"Fly me to the moon, and let me play among the stars. . . "
#3Queen_of_Lazy89Posted 2/20/2013 10:31:25 PM
Continuity kept me away for a while. I had zero idea where to start and had doubts on whether I should dedicate myself to a comic when chances are they'd just reboot something or cancel a series. Then I just learned to stop caring and enjoy stories for what they are, and I've been collecting since.
---
...Ok, lets put it this way.
Dracula is vampire Jesus. ~red255
#4TheWingedWonderPosted 2/20/2013 10:37:24 PM
General lack of interest, combined with alternate outlets for similar kinds of entertainment. I think most people would just rather watch a movie or play a video game than sit down and read a comic book featuring the same characters and concepts.
---
Check out my Hawkman blog, The Stonechat Museum, at:
thestonechatmuseum.blogspot.com
#5CeraSeptemPosted 2/20/2013 10:38:53 PM
Continuity first, then cost.

Those are two major humps, comics are an expensive hobby.
---
I ****ing love to cuddle.
I'm being oppressed!
#6ClemsonFAN89Posted 2/20/2013 10:39:29 PM
I don't think disdain for ebooks and lack of LCS' should be in the same thing. I don't think think the average potential comic reader has a disdain for ebooks. I think the average potential comic reader doesn't have that much knowledge of them.

I also think the lack of LCS' plays a factor. I live in a fairly heavily populated area of Northern Virginia and we have one LCS.

The combination of the two plays a big part in new readers not getting involved.
---
Rudimentary creatures of bone and flesh. You touch my balls fumbling in ignorance--incapable of understanding
#7NmbrlockPosted 2/20/2013 10:47:46 PM
DC Continuity terrified me. I saw that the New52 as a good entry point, so I jumped in on it.
Now cost is holding me back to just trade waiting. (In the case of DC trades, trade hibernating...)
#8Robot_SoopaPosted 2/20/2013 10:48:55 PM
I wonder what kind of effect it would have on comics if nothing was numbered anymore except story-lines.

So we got a new number one with each new arc.
#9pblimp360Posted 2/20/2013 11:23:14 PM
Continuity also kept me away from DC for a long time, and theirs was particularly tough to get into at a time. I just chose which one's I waned to read and tried to learn as much background info afterward.
---
I tried the Nu52...I want Marvel NOW!
#10xXBarbelithXxPosted 2/20/2013 11:28:28 PM
Figuring out where to start is always the issue. Comics need to break the stigma that a reader must have read everything prior to that book in order to enjoy or understand it.
---
"This is the work of Dalang. His skill makes us believe that we see a war between two great armies, but there is no war. There is only the Dalang."