What do you think scares potential comic readers away most? (Poll)

#41tara720Posted 2/21/2013 3:32:30 PM
Because the only option is comic shops herp derp yes because that's doing so good right now.
---
http://i.qkme.me/3og3d9.jpg http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-follow-the-damn-train-cj.png http://i.qkme.me/3qcx9x.jpg
#42SmokingbombHPosted 2/21/2013 3:46:44 PM
MasterFoxCheif3 posted...
1. Money

2. Most people (dumb people) don't want to read.

3. People making fun of them for liking comic books.

Those kids would have a lot of trouble with the other 5th graders.
---
Official Deidara of TNS.
#43DarkLazarusPosted 2/21/2013 3:51:42 PM
Cost and the fact that you don't really see comics everywhere like you used to.
When I started reading comics as a kid I didn't care about continuity, I just saw a comic on some small supermarket or something, thought it looked cool and bought it with my allowance money because it was affordable. I jumped in the middle of events and crossovers and never had any trouble enjoying the stories.
Nowadays I feel the cost is prohibitive and there's not enough ease of access to comics.
---
PSN: Nocturnvs
Just a microscopic cog in the catastrophic plan designed and directed by the red right hand.
#44Game WeaselPosted 2/21/2013 4:50:23 PM
DarkLazarus posted...
Cost and the fact that you don't really see comics everywhere like you used to.
When I started reading comics as a kid I didn't care about continuity, I just saw a comic on some small supermarket or something, thought it looked cool and bought it with my allowance money because it was affordable. I jumped in the middle of events and crossovers and never had any trouble enjoying the stories.
Nowadays I feel the cost is prohibitive and there's not enough ease of access to comics.

Ding ding ding, whadda we have for him Johnny!?!

Summed up so much there. In the past you could walk into a store and walk out with your weekly stack of comics, it wouldn't cost more than your allowance, and you wouldn't be likely to get called a nerd or a geek for enjoying it.
Today it can cost anywhere from 40 to 100 dollars if you've got a large pull list. Combine that with needing to find a specialty store that sells them, and knowing that most people are going to think you're some kind of geek or "man-child" for enjoying them, and there is just not a lot of incentive for normal people to get into comics.

Sad as I am to say it, the only way for our favorite characters to reach the mainstream audience these days is through movies and video games. Comics are a niche medium, and the steps necessary to change that are too large for the companies to be willing to take.
---
"If any super villain had a can of RAID near the beginning of Marvel comics first steps, our entire hero line up could've been wiped out!" -Stan Lee
#45playboydojoPosted 2/21/2013 5:25:02 PM(edited)
I don't think continuity is that big a problem-- especially since so little of the massive back story people keep referring to is ever relevant. You don't need to know what Superman went through twenty years ago to understand what he's doing today, and if anything from twenty years ago is every relevant, the book will simply tell you.

People jump into the middle of television seasons/series all the time, they aren't intimidated by not knowing what's going on. But television episodes are often more self-contained. They don't span multiple shows with the need for checklists, or the need to wait 3-6 months to resolve a single, minor arc, or have an episode half of which is the protagonist thinking to himself or something equally ridiculous.

Comics waste a ton of their own space, wasting both your time and money. Not all, of course, but as a general rule they spend nearly their entire time going nowhere and evolving as little of a story as possible.
---
...and then I said, "Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!"
#46TimePharaohPosted 2/21/2013 6:43:45 PM
Reaper115 posted...
theRedDeath posted...
Continuity doesn't deter "new" readers. All it takes is two seconds on Wikipedia if they really care. The only fans continuity deters are fans who are already reading some other comics and just don't want to increase the investment they're already making.

Physical availability is what deters new readers.

---

Coming from someone who started reading DC comics with the launch of New 52 and Marvel comics with the launch of Marvel NOW, I can say that this is complete bull.

Wikipedia doesn't help when it comes to 60+ years of comics. It's either too vague to be helpful or too extensive to be comprehensive and understandable.

And I don't think it's price, either... comics are expensive, but if you only buy four or five a week like I do, it's only like $20 a week.

As for it taking up too much time? Yeah... same thing with price. I can go through four or five in an hour tops, and that's me taking time to look at pictures and stuff. Even a high school drop out with an IQ of 1 can go through some comics every Wednesday without it taking more than a couple of hours.

You seem to think you need to know everything that happened in 60+ years. You don't.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
#47skaskiPosted 2/21/2013 6:50:35 PM
all of these things.

and also us. the community. hobbies usually give people a sense of belonging to a group. paradoxically, these groups tend to be pretty hostile and unfriendly to new members. the comic book community is small, so the benefit of belonging to it doesn't seem worth the cost or stress or time. the social stigmas attached to comic book fans are still around, and there's a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy happening from the outside. uh, apart from that, publishing quality from the big two.

i had my brother reading a few months until he gave up. "this is stupid" he said.
---
the solenoid robot is
dzzt
#48Game ShowPosted 2/21/2013 7:32:44 PM
1. Other: Perception of comics as an immature/nerdy hobby, or fear of social rejection because of said perception

2. Availability/Distribution
3. Continuity, but more precisely misconceptions thereof

Robot_Soopa posted...
I wonder what kind of effect it would have on comics if nothing was numbered anymore except story-lines.

So we got a new number one with each new arc.

I've been thinking for awhile that they should try just listing the month-year on the cover like regular magazines. Then, similar to what you said like you said, list the story line number on the inside
---
"When it comes to eating out, being a girl is the only way to go." - Ranma
#49HojjeePosted 2/21/2013 7:40:45 PM
TimePharaoh posted...

You seem to think you need to know everything that happened in 60+ years. You don't.

Right but newbies dont know that. Plus, theres way more enjoyment to reading a comic when you know the whole history cuz the characters are more fleshed out for you.

continuity kept me away for a long time, i did collect the ultimate comics when i was younger though i did miss out on the first year or so of issues, but i never read mainstream until i got older because i always thought it would mean less having not read everything preceding where i jumped on.
#50Uranus_DayPosted 2/21/2013 8:07:17 PM
tara720 posted...
Because the only option is comic shops herp derp yes because that's doing so good right now.

You posted that the ongoing monthly format needs to die -period. I believe tc meant U.S.

It's funny that you still want to come off as a jerk when you were just completely wrong. It would take a fool to even consider trying that, no one in either co. is that uninformed. They're shooting themselves in the foot, yes but that'd be nuking yourself.
---
Now, for the astronomers in the audience, get ready to see the Dark side of the moon. And here's Uranus!