Looking for a good Starting Point for a couple of series

#1spotaflint33Posted 6/29/2013 6:37:37 PM
My journey of comic discovery has continued quite happily and I've discovered a few more Characters that I'd like to read a bit more of. One admittedly is more based on summer movies (that I'm not going to see) and another based just on other reading I've been doing. I'm just looking for better volumes for these characters to read up on, and good books overall to get. The DC ones are a little easier thanks to the New 52 series, but the Marvel stuff is a little more different.

I'm not necessarily looking for a regular to buy book yet, I'd rather go with volume books still or trades of completed runs still.

Green Lantern:
I've looked into Brightest Day Series and the Blackest Night: Tales From the Corps book, Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps. Is there a difference between the Blackest Night book I listed and the others with the same title, or is it the name of a trade and a series as well (not counting the BL stuff that is by subtitle different)

Iron Man:
I just don't know where to start with this, I've never seen the movies, but the constant ads piqued my interest in the books (but if the movies are in fact good please inform I tend to stay away from Comic Book Movies).

Nightwing:
Just looking for some good volumes of a story arc, I just assume to start with New 52.

Hawkeye:
A couple of Podcasts I listen to mentioned that the current run was pretty good.

Also one odd question how many volumes of Batman New 52 covers the Court of Owls? I picked up the Vol: 1 Court of Owls I just didn't know how far out this one went.
Thank you in advance for the help.
---
pancakes
#2SocialAssassinPosted 6/29/2013 6:40:18 PM
Green Lantern:

The last issue (#21) was the start of the post-Johns era. So it might be a good place to jump into. This goes for all the other GL-related titles.

Iron Man:

The Marvel NOW! run.

Nightwing:

Not sure about pre-new 52, but new 52 Nightwing is bland and boring. So I can't help you there.

Hawkeye:

Just go into the current ongoing. Very new-reader friendly and very good.
---
Hoist the colours high!
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story.
#3WilhuffTarkinPosted 6/29/2013 6:48:41 PM
I can make some Nightwing recommendations.

-Batman: A Lonley Place of Dying. This is not exclusively a Nightwing story, but Nightwing is very important to it. It's the story of how Tim Drake becomes Robin, why Batman needs to have a Robin, and how Dick Grayson played that role and how he has adjusted since taking the identity of Nightwing. It's honestly one of my favorites, so I definitely recommend it.

-New Teen Titans: The Judas Contract. I haven't read it yet actually--I'm expecting it to arrive in the mail on Monday. But based on what I've gathered, this is one of the most popular Teen Titans stories if not most popular outright. Nightwing is still the team leader at this point.

-Nightwing: Mobbed Up. This is the one that I see come up most often when people ask for strictly Nightwing stories. I found it for pretty cheap at a local comic store recently, and I think it's worth picking up. I think it takes place after Batman's War Games arc, and features a wounded Dick having given up his superhero identity and working for a mob boss. He's doing this because all of his conflicted emotions about Batman, himself, and crimefighting seem to have come to a head. He struggles with trying to move beyond that life and invariably finding himself drawn back to it.

Here's a link you might find helpful:

http://ifanboy.com/articles/nightwing-where-do-i-start/
---
Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.
#4WilhuffTarkinPosted 6/29/2013 6:52:02 PM
By the way, there are many more "Where Do I Start?" pages for other characters on the site I just posted a link to. I think Green Lantern, Iron Man, and Hawkeye are all covered, so it might be worth cruising around on that site for a while.
---
Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.
#5UltraMarcusPosted 6/29/2013 7:08:23 PM
If you're looking to REALLY get into Green Lanter, start at Rebirth, and continue on from there. That will take time.

Iron Man, the best run to start on is Matt Fractions run, found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Iron-Man-Omnibus-Vol/dp/0785142959/ref=sr_1_25?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372558020&sr=1-25&keywords=iron+man

there are 2 Omnibi out now, that are fantastic. If you're looking for something a little more recent, start at Marvel Now, although I find that a little less new reader friendly.

Hawkeye, start with the new series, It's as good as you've heard.
---
"You're scared of being insulted on the internet by a guy who goes to work in his underwear?" - Sniper_Extreme
https://twitter.com/Ultramarcusaway
#6Johnny_KillPosted 6/29/2013 8:06:25 PM
Guide To Green Lantern:

Start off with Green Lantern Rebirth and hop into it with GL Vol. 4 starting with trade #1 No Fear. Go from there till the end of Geoff Johns run. Green Lantern Corps by Peter Tomasi is another incredible run that starts off with a miniseries called GLC: Recharge.

As far as Blackest Night goes all of the main action takes place in the main miniseries and the GL and GLC issues. Other than that everything else is really just tie-ins.
#7spotaflint33(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 9:29:22 AM
Thanks I will look into those suggestions as good starting points. It seems like there are some series with better and easier jumping on points or at least stuff that doesn't require as full knowledge as others or just has a larger amount of material that can be easily latched onto or stand alone stories that work well with no prior knowledge and work to give you a good starting point. I was hoping to see if they had some good standalone arcs that didn't require as much.

Also I will look at that site to see what it holds for me I was just trying to get as many topics as possible in one topic to avoid staring at a wall of books in the store and trying to figure it out.
---
pancakes
#8SirThinkALotPosted 6/30/2013 9:43:28 AM
Green Lantern: Start with the Sinestro Corps War and Secret Origin.

Nightwing: Really you can start at the beginning of the N52.

Hawkeye: Start at the begining of its Marvel Now series.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#9PrivateBiscuit1Posted 6/30/2013 10:10:24 AM
SocialAssassin posted...
Iron Man:

The Marvel NOW! run.

I do not recommend this Marvel NOW! run. The first arc was alright, but the current story is so bad.
---
Check out my entertainment blog!: www.heroicbiz.com
I discuss video games, comics, movies, and TV!