A job for Intermediate programmer?

#1GreenTreeClubPosted 6/19/2014 10:39:59 AMmessage detail
I'm not an expert programmer, but I understand stuff up to the intermediate level like Objects. Interfaces, Abstract classes, inheritance, polymorphism, and such things. But I never went any deeper since I was taking a Programming 2 class, acing the assignments, but failed the midterm so I had to drop, which meant I never got a chance to go to Programming 3 and I am graduating in a few months.

So my question is, what type of job will suit me in programming, and two, what are some important subjects to cover that I may have missed?
#2kanatoPosted 6/20/2014 11:02:50 AMmessage detail
Someone who's at an "expert" level in an undergraduate degree would qualify for an entry level position in industry. It sounds like you're below that, so you should be looking at internships.

Have you studied data structures?
---
Cross platform C# game development
http://www.agatelib.org/
#3MutantJohnPosted 6/20/2014 11:25:43 AMmessage detail
Well, internships are out of the question now if you're graduating.

Your best bet is to probably find a project to work on and see it to completion. Make sure it's relatively complex (like big-boy complex) and that it emphasizes skills the industry you want to work in desires.
---
"But I am still alive, in love and wide-eyed in my time, not a mummy shrinking in its cloths." - Why?
#4GreenTreeClub(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2014 11:31:57 AMmessage detail
Have not studied data structures.

As for internships, I've heard they are possible even after graduation.
#5MutantJohnPosted 6/20/2014 11:41:26 AMmessage detail
GreenTreeClub posted...
Have not studied data structures.

As for internships, I've heard they are possible even after graduation.

Lol you can think that. But most require that you're in school so they don't have to pay you. I mean, if you can find one, go for it. But don't be counting on it. I'm telling you, find a real open-source project to contribute to or make one of your own.

The point is, you demonstrable experience. And it looks good if you find a relatively good-sized project independent of school that showcases your talents.
---
"But I am still alive, in love and wide-eyed in my time, not a mummy shrinking in its cloths." - Why?
#6GreenTreeClub(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2014 12:55:30 PMmessage detail
^ Well, but I'm not really sure if I have those kind of talents. I just want a job that involves programming that is not too complicated. And if I find an internship, I will tell them its OK if they don't pay even if I am out of school. I don't mind.
#7ReconditePhreakPosted 6/21/2014 8:42:36 AMmessage detail
Is it normal for internships for software dev's to be unpaid nowadays? Did something change, because that used to not be the case, and I encourage anyone who's looking into an internship to refuse doing it for free.

You can get work without a degree, you can *certainly* get work without a degree while in school.
---
Believes the individuals who report to moderators wish they had more control than they do.
#8kanatoPosted 6/22/2014 6:08:30 PMmessage detail
Yeah I have an intern working for me right now. He's still in school and he's being paid.

Another option might be to look for a QA position. Having some knowledge of programming and how to test software and be systematic may help there, while not having coding skills that are competitive with CS or SE graduates probably won't be as much of a disadvantage.
---
Cross platform C# game development
http://www.agatelib.org/
#9ElementalWindPosted 6/23/2014 4:14:56 PMmessage detail
Lol you can think that. But most require that you're in school so they don't have to pay you.
Maybe in journalism, film, etc., but internships in software development are generally paid.

Another option might be to look for a QA position. Having some knowledge of programming and how to test software and be systematic may help there, while not having coding skills that are competitive with CS or SE graduates probably won't be as much of a disadvantage.
And rudimentary skills might help with automating test cases.
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero
#10GreenTreeClub(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2014 5:19:53 PMmessage detail
You guys mean like Unit Testing?