A job for Intermediate programmer?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Game Design and Programming
  3. A job for Intermediate programmer?
1 year ago#21
TrueKu posted...
Ya, Stick with VB6. That was the golden age

*Shudder* VB6 is even worse. It has its own level of hell, right above COBOL.
---
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
1 year ago#22
OK, so then what would you guys recommend I try to learn? Data Structures is more theoretical, but something more practical. VB.net sounded interesting and I have coded in VB6 before, but you guys say otherwise.
1 year ago#23
TrueKu posted...
BewmHedshot posted...
SeraphLance posted...
As far as I understand it, here in the US you have to pay interns if they actually add value to your company, which most software interns do (since they're basically cheap labor).

They're not even really all that cheap. We pay ours 90-95% of the equivalent hourly rate of an entry level employee in their discipline. No benefits, but still a very good rate for a summer job.

Where is this place

Downtown Chicago; but I work at a global bank so also NYC London Prague Tokyo Hong Kong and some less glamorous places like Tampa and Dallas.
---
"I wont assert myself." - Kobe Bryant
1 year ago#24
GreenTreeClub posted...
OK, so then what would you guys recommend I try to learn? Data Structures is more theoretical, but something more practical. VB.net sounded interesting and I have coded in VB6 before, but you guys say otherwise.

Computation Theory is "theoretical". Virtually every company in my area I know of won't even take an intern that hasn't had a Data Structures course.

I know it's not the most informative answer, but you want to be able to pick up any language that's required of you without much time expended. If you just want to maximize "employability" from the get-go, know that the most sought-for languages (IMO) are probably Java, C#, Objective-C, Javascript, and PHP. Python, C, and C++ are probably just a tier below those.
---
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
1 year ago#25
GreenTreeClub posted...
Well, I'm going to read a book written by a professor at my school Mark Weiss about Data Structures. Apparently he is one of the best, but I never took a class with him, so reading his book will be better than nothing.

Ewwww don't read academic tomes. Read something practical about the subject. In case of data structures I recommend Data Structures for Game Programmers
---
lol at --> http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/user.php?=89123
1 year ago#26
Any developer worth anything should have a strong understanding of data structures. You don't need to know every data structure under the sun, but you had damn well better understand the more common ones.
---
Believes the individuals who report to moderators wish they had more control than they do.
1 year ago#27
Actually, I never went to school for programming. What are the more common structures? Lists, hash tables and graphs?
---
"But I am still alive, in love and wide-eyed in my time, not a mummy shrinking in its cloths." - Why?
1 year ago#28
http://eternallyconfuzzled.com/jsw_home.aspx

don't use it as your only source of information, but it's a great place to get started.

Don't ever let your lack of education be an excuse to not know the things a CS student would know.
---
Believes the individuals who report to moderators wish they had more control than they do.
1 year ago#29
MutantJohn posted...
Actually, I never went to school for programming. What are the more common structures? Lists, hash tables and graphs?

Protip: all data structures are basically graphs.
---
"I wont assert myself." - Kobe Bryant
1 year ago#30
BewmHedshot posted...
MutantJohn posted...

Protip: all data structures are basically graphs.

They are indeed. I was thinking more of a tree/with more branches sort of thing.
---
"But I am still alive, in love and wide-eyed in my time, not a mummy shrinking in its cloths." - Why?
  1. Boards
  2. Game Design and Programming
  3. A job for Intermediate programmer?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived