how come there's no black people in the lord of the rings?

#1nh38fcv37jf04h3Posted 10/5/2012 2:57:51 PM
there are no black people and it's something i've noticed. i am an african american and i am offended by these movies.
---
I am better than you
#2tuchPosted 10/5/2012 4:13:12 PM
Someone like you would be offended by this.
---
"Wrong again, idiot." ~ Prof. Farnsworth
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6963/profer0.gif
#3ChocolatlPosted 10/5/2012 5:14:13 PM
Because there weren't any black people in Prehistoric Europe.
---
Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.--Mark Twain
#4Distant_RainbowPosted 10/5/2012 6:28:35 PM
None by name, but they're mentioned a lot.

Read about the Haradrim.
---
GFAQs F-Zero GX Fantasy Grand Prix Season I Champion - TN, MT, CB
Link meets Fire Emblem in Tales of Elibe! Find out what happens! *UPDATED*
#5Goodgames182Posted 10/6/2012 3:32:43 AM
The southrons were black. Of course they were also either baddies or cowardly neutral. I will always maintain Tolkien should had some fighting on the hobbits' side at the end.
#6MasterAdeptAlexPosted 10/6/2012 4:47:42 AM(edited)
Well, the Uruk Hai are kinda black. lol But seriously, the story is to good for someone to be offended by this. And thats all that matters. Not the color of the character's skin. A friend of mine is black and he isn't offeneded by this as you are. Because he enjoys the story and places more than what the character's skin color is.
---
"Hey someone help bat baby up off the floor." The Joker in Batman Arkham Asylum
#7ChocolatlPosted 10/6/2012 10:53:09 AM
Goodgames182 posted...
The southrons were black. Of course they were also either baddies or cowardly neutral. I will always maintain Tolkien should had some fighting on the hobbits' side at the end.

Actually, they weren't either. They were deluded by Sauron's lies.

Would you want to fight against your friends and relatives, even if they were on the wrong side? Tolkien himself pointed out that if you accept war as the basis for a story, you can't really complain that everybody on one side is against everybody on the other side. Tolkien did, in fact, have some of the Southrons working for Aragorn & Co. at the end.
---
Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.--Mark Twain
#8Goodgames182Posted 10/6/2012 1:44:04 PM
Chocolatl posted...
Goodgames182 posted...

Actually, they weren't either. They were deluded by Sauron's lies.

Would you want to fight against your friends and relatives, even if they were on the wrong side? Tolkien himself pointed out that if you accept war as the basis for a story, you can't really complain that everybody on one side is against everybody on the other side. Tolkien did, in fact, have some of the Southrons working for Aragorn & Co. at the end.

Allow me to clarify what I wanted to say. The Haradrim did in fact have legitimate reasons to hate Gondor and Sauron was an expert on playing up that hatred. The fact remains however that they were fighting on the other side, making them de facto baddies. They weren't evil in any real sense, but were baddies nonetheless.

Then we come to the southrons of the Shire and Bree-land. These men escaped from the oncoming war with Gondor (and Rohan, Lorien, Mirkwood, Dale, Esgaroth, Erebor, the Woodmen and Beornings - in fact pretty much everywhere except for the Shire and Bree-land) and upon getting there and finally getting a decent chance at a peaceful life, decided to trash the place.
Now this was mainly the work of a few hundred street thugs of Saruman who would probably have been making life just as difficult for their fellow southrons yet when Merry blew his horn and called everyone out to fight, not a single southron could be seen.

Also with Tolkien, everyone in his works was equally capable of evil. It's just that while great detail is gone into about both the best and worst of the elves, dwarves and the Dúnedain, we don't get that much about the southrons and certainly not from their own point of view save briefly the Black Serpent, in which he demonstrates fatal overconfidence. And surely that sums it up perfectly. He wasn't even considered important enough to use an actual name.

So no Chocolatl, the southrons are not truly bad if looked at in depth. The problem is that they look that way at first glance.

The only black people who were shown to be goodies were the Drúedain (who I admit I had forgotten about when I wrote the previous post, much to my shame).

I think though, that it is sad enough that this is a viable debate, not least because it detracts from all the good things about LotR.
#9ChocolatlPosted 10/6/2012 4:56:20 PM
I don't think it is a viable debate, but I didn't want to let the original statement go unchallenged.
---
#10roduPosted 10/6/2012 6:11:51 PM
I'm sorry, but when were there Southron's in Hobbiton again?