Why was Gimli so surprised everyone in Moria is dead?

#1EricxPosted 9/11/2013 11:44:06 AM
It seems to me, and granted it's been a long time since I read the books, that the dwarves in Moria had been dead a pretty long time. Yet Gimli talks it up like it is still a glorious hall. Did he just not know, or was it because he thought Balin had successfully resettled there?
#2MasterAdeptAlexPosted 9/11/2013 11:51:34 AM
I always assumed the reason was because he didn't know.
---
"There is good in this world, Mr.Frodo.....and it's all worth fighting for." Samwise Gamgee in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
#3suchiuomizuPosted 9/11/2013 1:29:57 PM
Obviously he knew all the pre-Balin dwarves were dead or abandoned the place. He wanted to believe Balin was successful, though from what I remember there had been lack of recent contact with Erebor that implied it was not the case.
#4solderguy1Posted 9/11/2013 3:56:57 PM
But with dwarves a lack of news could also mean everything was going great and they forgot to report in. They're kind of single minded when wealth appears.
#5gameman713Posted 9/11/2013 11:21:40 PM
At Rivendell the dwarves mention that all of the reports were very positive, that they had beaten back the orcs, they'd discovered or located many places and things, and that all of the work was going smoothly. And then they heard nothing for a good while. They'd just assumed no news was good news. This didn't fly with everyone else because they knew Moria's reputation, even though they'd prefer it if the dwarves' interpretation was the correct one.

Remember, the dwarves weren't in Rivendell because of Moria and Balin, but because of the dark strangers in Dale and the Lonely Mountain who were asking questions about hobbits and rings.
#6ErugiosPosted 9/15/2013 6:54:39 PM
Ericx posted...
It seems to me, and granted it's been a long time since I read the books, that the dwarves in Moria had been dead a pretty long time. Yet Gimli talks it up like it is still a glorious hall. Did he just not know, or was it because he thought Balin had successfully resettled there?

He was only surprised in the movie. In the books, he (and all the other dwarves in Erebor) had sort of suspected it. I mean, it had been YEARS since they last heard from Balin's party, no? Like others said, they assumed no news was bad news.

No one particularly wanted to go through Moria. Gandalf and Aragorn in particular had been through there before and knew it was no good. They didn't have a choice though, a fact more discussed in the book than the movies.
---
"One of these days, I'm gonna find a loophole my friend." - Man in Black