Carb Cycling

#1OfficeChairPosted 10/17/2012 7:28:54 PM
http://www.livestrong.com/article/558001-carb-cycling-for-fat-loss/

Has anyone tried Carb Cycling? Looks like it could work for cutting, but is there anyway to do it while cycling? If someone loves it, can they recommend a book?

My personal theory lately has been to minimize carbs and crappy fats and that's been working, but if I'm missing out on carb cycling, I would be down to try it.
---
this topic is ruined
[i really hate classic rock]
#2DragonX32Posted 10/17/2012 7:45:10 PM
Lyle McDonald's books discuss it. Carb Backloading is based on carb cycling. T-Nation is full of articles about it. Google is also great.

Carb cycling works. There are discussions of the topic on this board if you are willing to search
---
http://www.last.fm/user/DragonX32/journal - Top 2011/2012 albums
#3OfficeChair(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2012 7:47:13 PM
I searched the board using 'carb' and found a article that directed me to this:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/a_beginners_guide_to_carb_cycling

I still want to know though the board's general consensus on the subject. If it's cool, I'm going to jump right in tomorrow.
---
this topic is ruined
#4OfficeChair(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2012 8:31:16 PM(edited)
Okayyy. Totally going to try it.

Day One: low
Day Two: no
Day three: HIGH
Day Four no
Day Five: low
Day Six: HIGH
Day Seven: no

No - Less than 30 carbs
Low - Less than 50 carbs
High - Less than 200 carbs

I already eat super clean, so that's not going to be a problem. Just have to rearrange some things and stock up on veggies.

EDIT: I realize my plan is very reductive and rudimentary. Feel free to mercilessly poke holes in it. I just read like twenty articles but it's all kind of a ****ing blur. Nutrition jargon makes my head spin.
---
this topic is ruined
#5Arcanine2009Posted 10/17/2012 9:24:55 PM
^^high carb days are when you lift weights right? If your'e lifting weights, wouldn't you need to have 3 high carb days?

And one problem I find with this article, is that it doesn't tell you how much you should eat. Is it just assuming we eat the same amount of calories per day when carb cycling or what?
---
Less is more. Everything you want, isn't everything you need.
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg359/ProdigyCashew/pterodactyl.gif
#6OfficeChair(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2012 9:44:01 PM
Arcanine2009 posted...
^^high carb days are when you lift weights right? If your'e lifting weights, wouldn't you need to have 3 high carb days?

And one problem I find with this article, is that it doesn't tell you how much you should eat. Is it just assuming we eat the same amount of calories per day when carb cycling or what?

Because my main goal is cutting right now, I was going to try to go low on Day One and lift weights that day. Does anyone find that problematic? Should I go like mid low 75-150 carbs?

I kind of just figure I'll be eating more on "high/low" days anyways so I figure that goes into calorie count. I also read a couple articles that correlate this idea.
---
this topic is ruined
#7Arcanine2009Posted 10/17/2012 10:11:18 PM(edited)
I've actually sort of attempted carb cycling since last week.

TWTRF I went high carb and MF I went mediumish(around 200), while sunday I went low carb (as in 150 and less lol). This week I went high carb on monday and earlier today, but I went medium on tuesday, since Last Wednesday

I noticed my squats have been increasing by 5 pounds, but not today though. Not sure if it was because I didn't eat 3000 calories the other day.Only ate 2400sih.

IMO, I think you're going to gain muscle faster bulking up everyday, and carb cycling will take longer to build muscle/gain strength.
---
Less is more. Everything you want, isn't everything you need.
#8AerithPosted 10/17/2012 10:31:21 PM
The Livestrong article says to go under 25g of carbs on off days, while the T-Nation one says about 90ish. I remember a Leangains excel sheet telling me to go for about 140. Which would be the most correct?
---
~Aerith
#9OfficeChair(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2012 11:01:24 PM
Did some more reading from this article:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_carb_cycling_codex

This source really suggests to figure out how many carbs are right for you using BMR. There's a lot of jargon here but I think I'm going to go with...

Low: Less than 100
Medium: Less than 170
High: Around 300

I think this makes sense for me since I'm 5'11 and 170 and probably floating around with 15%-20% body fat.
---
this topic is ruined
#10MFRohPosted 10/18/2012 6:53:41 AM(edited)
Hey, why complicate things guys?

Eat low carb, [high protein, high fat] Mon-Fri, which means you get your carbs from fruit, vegetables and milk only. The only exception is peri-workout (before and after), where you'll need carbs for energy pre-workout, and carbs in your post-workout shake/meal.

Then cheat on the weekend. Eat high carb, high protein, high fat. Obviously don't go all out, but the carbs will be needed to restore glycogen back into the muscles. I tend to have Saturday be a full cheat day, and then on Sunday I have a cheat meal or two but keep things generally healthy.

This has worked great for me. Lost around 30lbs in 3 months.
---
roronora
MF Ro