[D&D 3.5] Necropolitan or lich for my necro-cleric?

#1Hamstah_FwendPosted 2/28/2012 2:46:25 PM
So in an upcoming campaign I'm set on playing the archetypal evil cleric who uses his Rebuke/Command (and later on spells) to amass a badass army of undead. And from that handy-dandy Revised Necromancer's handbook, I know he's gonna be built like...

1. Domains: Evil + Deathbound.
2. Take the Corpsecrafter feat as much as possible if I wanna invest in powered-up minions ASAP.
3. Be or become undead in order to go Spellstitched and gain Animate Dead as a spell-like ability, working around that annoying material component cost.

#3's where I've got two options that appeal to me. I could start Necropolitan and just go Spellstitched later. Except the flavor of eventually becoming a full-blown lich is really appealing to me, especially the thought of abusing that paralyzing touch with cleric tanky shenanigans (not to mention that negative energy touch is gonna be a healing battery for me n' my skelezombies that I take adventuring). Not to mention, the potential for corny Warcraft-related jokes.

So, 215. Which'll it be, or is there an even better option I'm missing?
---
Well, I know who'd lose! The audience for such a crappy matchup!
nominate Ryuchan poster of the year
-Squirrel In My Pants
#2Hamstah_Fwend(Topic Creator)Posted 2/29/2012 12:40:49 AM
Okay so I just read that you can't take Necropolitan at Level 1 anyway. Should I bother taking Tomb-Tainted Soul then just bargain with the DM for retraining it out once my character actually becomes undead? Between Necropolitan and Lich, which one'll be more optimized?
---
-Squirrel In My Pants
#3Dekar the GreatPosted 2/29/2012 12:11:03 PM
Let's see.. +4 LA vs no LA...

The answer should be painfully obvious.

In case it isn't, go with the no LA. +4 LA on a caster is a huge no. The spells you lose are better than the racial stuff you gain.
---
Loli is the best.
#4Hamstah_Fwend(Topic Creator)Posted 2/29/2012 8:54:39 PM
Does Spellstitched have an LA? I only saw a CR adjustment and it didn't even list any costs when I was reading through my old MM2.
---
-Squirrel In My Pants
#5Dekar the GreatPosted 2/29/2012 8:59:52 PM
Given that the 3.5 update booklet doesnt include LA, (It says LA - ), I think that means it cannot be gotten by a PC.

And the 3.5 version in Complete Arcane is lacking in LA as well.
---
Loli is the best.
#6Hamstah_Fwend(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2012 10:24:19 PM
Okay, here's a rough draft of the character to come. My character concept's to basically toss in as many pirate, necromancy and evil overlord tropes as I can when playing this guy.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=378068

Any suggestions on how to optimize him better? The restrictions and guidelines are:
•Start at Level 10.
•Start with 49, 000 gp (standard wealth for the level according to our DM's references)
•No using XP on itemcrafting since you start the game at the exact amount for hitting Level 10.
•Might wanna load up on undead-killing stuff since the campaign's essentially the Atropus(sp?) scenario from Elder Evils.
•DM allowed me to spend appropriate gp on Animate Dead minions.
•Try not to over-optimize (or if you do, don't make it blatant in-game) since we don't wanna overshadow the newbie(s).

That last bullet point means I'll probably be doing more of a supporting role, and my undead minions will be more for utility. The bullette and the ship with a crew (originally I was planning to just get something like an undead whale but the Rule of Cool prevailed) are for transport; the undead gold dragon (Skellies retain their swim speed, right?) is meant to be the guardian of the ship and will really only be brought into adventures as a sorta tactical nuke.

Due to personal preference I intend to maintain the whole 'captain of an undead pirate ship' bit so we'll assume that 10K of that gold is going into a longship and a chunk of his undead followers and/or Animate Dead HD are getting invested in at least 50 skeletons or zombies (the minimum for crewing a longship).

Could those Spellcraft ranks go into anything better? That's just there from an earlier incarnation of the build wherein I took Divine Defiance (or whatever that turn-rebuke-attempts-into-counterspells feat's called).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Violent reactions?
---
-Squirrel In My Pants