More proof that Mike Mearls doesn't even know what he's talking about

#131LobsterDandyPosted 5/22/2012 6:40:39 PM
Fenris_Lathiin posted...
Was the Monk core in 1e? I don't even remember. I was seriously thinking it was either an Unearthed Arcana class or one of the Appendix ones, like the Bard.

It was in one of the PHB's before AD&D2e.
---
I believe in Artemis Hound & John Magnum
The heroes 215 deserve.
#132LobsterDandyPosted 5/22/2012 6:42:14 PM
MrGreenonion posted...
I really want to know where this mythical adventuring party is that WotC keeps alluding to, that forces the Wizard to hang back and plink enemies with a crossbow when he's out of spells because THE FIGHTER CAN KEEP GOING!!

Well, when we used to play AD&D2e back in the day in my neck of the woods, we never forced the wizard to keep going after using the one spell per day he got; it was pretty much agreed that we would just go on because it was stupid to wait an entire day after the wizard cast one ****ing spell.
---
The heroes 215 deserve.
#133n00bdragonPosted 5/22/2012 7:26:29 PM
But it was also stupid to go on without the wizard knowing his one spell. So... yeah.
---
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
John Adams (1735 - 1826)
#134kokushishinPosted 5/22/2012 7:55:05 PM
*reads comments* Seriously, have some of these people learned nothing in 12+ years?
---
Meet Gabriel Belmont and his Vampire Killer!
#135Fenris_LathiinPosted 5/22/2012 8:22:15 PM
<p>From: kokushishin | Posted: 5/22/2012 9:55:05 PM | #134
*reads comments* Seriously, have some of these people learned nothing in 12+ years?</p>

No. That's the point of the edition.

Or something. I don't even know anymore.

<p>From: mystic belmont | Posted: 5/22/2012 8:36:55 PM | #130
Didn't mearls mention some cap on the amount of rests per day?</p>

It's been mentioned before, but I don't know if Mearls ever said anything.

It's kind of stupid though. It doesn't actually fix the 15 minute work day. Maybe actually letting players have their abilities without tying them to an arbitrary "per day" system would fix it, but what do I know?
---
This sig is original!
#136LobsterDandyPosted 5/22/2012 10:31:10 PM
n00bdragon posted...
But it was also stupid to go on without the wizard knowing his one spell. So... yeah.

*shrugs* I was too young to know any better . . . what's the game designer's excuse?
---
The heroes 215 deserve.
#137Half-NothingPosted 5/23/2012 1:19:32 PM
Wasn't the pre-3.0 era, the ones where a Fighter could stand a chance against a Wizard (up to a certain level)?

---
Muh, the Half-Nothing.
#138Fenris_LathiinPosted 5/23/2012 1:50:20 PM
<p>From: Half-Nothing | Posted: 5/23/2012 3:19:32 PM | #137
Wasn't the pre-3.0 era, the ones where a Fighter could stand a chance against a Wizard (up to a certain level)?</p>

Sort of. In AD&D, Fighter types (which included the Ranger and the Paladin) had very good saves and could dole out some respectable damage. Further, monsters didn't have inflated hit points, spellcasters weren't as restricted and Fighters actually got some damn good magic items that only worked for them.

However, spellcasters still ruled from the time they picked up Fireball onwards. Wizards leveled up faster than Fighters during the important levels (from about 6 or 7 to 14) and spells were damn powerful. Wizards could also pick up/craft staves that complimented and expanded their power set. After a bit, it didn't matter what your saves were, since Wizards didn't always have to bother them. Supposedly, it got even worse with specialty Priests and the Spells and Magic stuff, but I never got into that.

Also, Spellcasters also had access to a lot of very powerful out of combat options that no one, except maybe Thieves, got. Fighters couldn't really do anything other than hit things with a weapon or, at level 9 or later, pay a bunch of money to maintain an army (seriously, this is a terrible endgame).
---
This sig is original!
#139ZhftnPosted 5/23/2012 4:09:23 PM
Fenris_Lathiin posted...
Fighters couldn't really do anything other than hit things with a weapon or, at level 9 or later, pay a bunch of money to maintain an army (seriously, this is a terrible endgame).

I heard that having an army was pretty cool though. Aside from all of the paperwork and number crunching that is.

Not that I would know.
---
Welcome to GameFAQs, where you're lucky if people read your entire topic title before answering, let alone your post. - JohnnyShred612
#140Half-NothingPosted 5/23/2012 4:19:07 PM
Then the Wizard sacrifice the Fighter's army for some reasons?

---
Muh, the Half-Nothing.