Shadowrun 5th Edition Blogs

#1moonnightmare13Posted 2/2/2013 8:54:44 PM
Shadowrun 5th Edition Developer Blog

Just thought I pass the word around about 5th Edition and its progress.

Blog 1: Principles of the new edition
http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/2013/01/shadowrun-fifth-edition-the-next-step/

Blog 2: Dice Pools, Skills and the new trait Accuracy for Weapons
http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/2013/02/sr5-dev-blog-where-do-dice-come-from/

-^_^-
#2n00bdragonPosted 2/2/2013 9:03:56 PM
I'm more interested if glitches will be going away or at least being changed so that you aren't more likely to glitch the better you are at something.
---
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
John Adams (1735 - 1826)
#3Fenris_LathiinPosted 2/3/2013 10:47:26 AM
Let me double check. They're not only keeping giant pools of dice, they're increasing the level PCs can bring their skills up to so they can throw around more dice. Is that basically what's going on?
---
This sig is original!
#4moonnightmare13(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 12:24:28 PM
Basically the design idea is that dice pools should be related to your character's Skills and Attributes (skill are raise to 12 now), not gear. Gear will contribute to Accuracy instead or some other kind of bonus but not dice pool bonuses. Also, it seems by raising the skill up to 12 it let's players have room to grow instead of getting max out at 6 or 5 in a skill at character creation. i. e. your character will not be at its full potential from the start of the game and you have something to work towards now, which is something I felt SR 4 was lacking IMO.

-^_^-
#5n00bdragonPosted 2/3/2013 3:40:19 PM
One of the problems with SR4 though is it had giant giant pools of dice. This doesn't appear to be fixing that at all.
---
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
John Adams (1735 - 1826)
#6Fenris_LathiinPosted 2/3/2013 4:28:12 PM
Also, it seems by raising the skill up to 12 it let's players have room to grow instead of getting max out at 6 or 5 in a skill at character creation.

So, not only are we going to have big dice pools at the start of the game, they're getting bigger? I was right? OK.

This does not sound like an improvement. I suppose my die rolling app on my phone would take care of most of that, but still, dice pools are kind of a crappy mechanic to begin with, why make them bigger?
---
This sig is original!
#7LobsterDandyPosted 2/3/2013 10:13:28 PM
I hope they **** over physads hard.
---
I believe in Artemis Hound & John Magnum
The heroes 215 deserve.
#8moonnightmare13(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 3:46:50 PM
Fenris_Lathiin posted...
Also, it seems by raising the skill up to 12 it let's players have room to grow instead of getting max out at 6 or 5 in a skill at character creation.

So, not only are we going to have big dice pools at the start of the game, they're getting bigger? I was right? OK.

This does not sound like an improvement. I suppose my die rolling app on my phone would take care of most of that, but still, dice pools are kind of a crappy mechanic to begin with, why make them bigger?

It could be that since gear isn't going to give any dice pool bonuses anymore (besides cyber, bio or magical enhancements to a lesser degree) and that skill caps are raised to 12 now, the dice might cancel/even out. For example, no more +1 to Firearms with Laser Sight, no more +2 to Firearms with Smartlinked, no more +1 to weapons with personalize grip, no more + rating to First Aid with a Medkit, just to name a few. Its now all about raising your skill to get that extra 1 or 2 or 3 points, etc. Now its seems that its 80% skill and 20% gear IMO.

This is just speculation since not much is known besides that Catalyst Game Labs wants skills to dominate/be important instead of gear. Got to wait and see what happens...

-^_^-
#9Fenris_LathiinPosted 2/10/2013 10:02:49 AM
Why don't they just get rid of dice pools? Tradition? Man, **** tradition. Dice pools were a crappy mechanic from the 90's.

I put together a Savage Worlds hack for Shadowrun in an afternoon and it was better for running Shadowrun than Shadowrun. I know part of the appeal of Shadowrun is to go shopping, but damn, they could really take hatchet to the rules and pair down some of the dumber mechanics.
---
This sig is original!
#10moonnightmare13(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 3:19:54 PM
I don't mind the dice pool system, I just wish SR had a limit cap on how much you roll b/c it sure can get out of control pretty quick. Legend of the Five Rings uses a dice pool system as well but at least they have a limit cap on how much you roll. You well never roll more then 10d10s and what ever dice are left over from the rolled dice and the kept dice gets converted into a stacking static number (very clean).

-^_^-