on poetry critique,

#1g980Posted 2/23/2012 7:08:16 AM
once you get past the general realm of really obvious sloppy stuff, how do you separate your own personal preference from fair critique of a poem?

i feel like the inherent subjectivity of poetry would make the line kind of blurred

jw what you guys think because i'm still pretty comfy in the realm of obvious sloppy stuff
---
-Washington Irving
Math Slut
#2BestNameEverMadPosted 2/23/2012 8:31:27 AM
as you brush up on more theory and such you realize that stuff that is not as obviously sloppy is just covertly sloppy.
---
of wheat.
#3g980(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2012 9:28:10 AM
Any suggestions on where to read up on some poetry theory? I'm graduating, sadly, and don't have the luxury of formal schoolin' beyond this intro class
---
-Washington Irving
Math Slut
#4BestNameEverMadPosted 2/23/2012 9:36:56 AM

Any suggestions on where to read up on some poetry theory? I'm graduating, sadly, and don't have the luxury of formal schoolin' beyond this intro class

hmmm I'm not sure in the way of full texts aside from The Poet's Companion, which is pretty great, but isn't totally theory/craft. It has some stranger sections. It seems really elementary, but its actually fantastically written and has some great insight.
---
of wheat.
#5Balrog0Posted 2/23/2012 9:54:20 AM
I'm reading A Field Guide to Contemporary Poetry and Poetics

ts broken up into different sections that are composed of short essays/papers by poets all giving a different take on different aspects of poetry - for example, two sections are called The Image: A Symposium and The Poetic Line: A Symposium. There's also one about the process of writing more generally

I dunno if I'd call it a straight up book about theory but it does help me understand poetry a little better
---
The art of economics consists in looking not merely at
the immediate but at the longer effects of any act or policy
#6ShyOxPosted 2/23/2012 6:37:13 PM
I think if you have to read a guide about it, it's probably utter bullcrap when it comes to anything in art. Just decide for yourselves, by reading guides you're just letting someone ELSE'S personal preference get to you. We aren't in grade school anymore.... I mean are you going to read a guide about music to teach you how to enjoy it? Symbolism is a wash woman's game.
---
(9:20)AdmiralPiett: Intensify firewall security!
(9:20)MoffJerjerrod: Too late!
#7g980(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2012 7:40:41 PM
Shy0x that's some madness

I don't need a guide to tell me what I enjoy, for sure,
But that's a very limited view
Poetry can have merit outside my own enjoyment, right?

Like, I really hated Self Portrait in a Convex Mirror
It's long and abstract and nothing I like really
But certainly people who do like it have a reason

I mean geez
Even just so I can adequately understand, articulate, and try to recreate what I do enjoy in others' poetry
---
-Washington Irving
Math Slut
#8Balrog0Posted 2/23/2012 7:53:21 PM
That's all this board is about, I thought: you post a poem, I offer an opinion, you decide to revise it or not depending on how convincing an argument I've made for my position. By exposing yourself to my opinion you hopefully glean some insight into your own work and maybe even poetry in general

Why would it be a bad thing to condense that kind of thing into the form of a book and replace me with someone who is actually an accomplished poet? I really just don't understand the opinion. Unless you think a guide is a rule book or something along those lines (thats kinda what that remark about symbolism makes me think but its hard to say because it came so out of no where).
---
The art of economics consists in looking not merely at
the immediate but at the longer effects of any act or policy
#9BestNameEverMadPosted 2/24/2012 1:12:44 AM

I really just don't understand the opinion. Unless you think a guide is a rule book or something along those lines (thats kinda what that remark about symbolism makes me think but its hard to say because it came so out of no where).

this.

ShyOx, give it a try.
---
of wheat.
#10ShyOxPosted 2/24/2012 7:05:23 AM
I have given it a try. Read 4 books of someone telling me how to try and enjoy poetry, got nothing out of it but the idea that some people really think they know what they're talking about when it comes to poetry.

If it was a book by someone I really liked, sure, I'd give it a shot, but it's always some unknown who could never really make it in the business anyways, and they get hung up on odd things anyways.

Then again, I'm an advocate on the side of the uneducated masses who aren't going to read a guide, and since I'm really telling the story to them, what do I care if a bunch of stuck up art fart poets like it or dislike it? I like people to tell me what they thing about my poems, whatever it is, and most of the time it is not good advice, but I still take it into consideration, because it's honesty.

I dunno, I just think if you're trying to really make it as a poet, it's pointless. Same with reading a book about writing music or something, it's something you teach yourself, not what someone else can teach you, atleast in my experience. It's a unique skill.
---
(9:20)AdmiralPiett: Intensify firewall security!
(9:20)MoffJerjerrod: Too late!