why do they make ash lose the pokemon league

#1nh38fcv37jf04h3Posted 3/11/2012 11:17:57 PM
it's like he gets to battle his rival or something and he'll win, then some character that's never appeared before and nobody knows comes along and beats ash. like what's the point of making him lose, especially losing horribly in the sinnoh tournament

shouldn't the main character achieve whatever goal they're trying to accomplish? building him up just to make him lose like that leaves a bitter taste. why would people want to watch this show
---
http://killmoderation.com/
We are better than you
#2seventy_fivePosted 3/12/2012 1:18:14 AM
It's not about beating the pokemon league.
The show is based upon the maturation of a young boy as he learns about responsibility, good sportsmanship, and friendship and in the final episodes he overcome his final hurdle- loss. Which is one of the many reasons why the anime used to be" completely badass."
---
You're all sheep.
#3DonkeyKongSongPosted 3/12/2012 6:09:11 AM
nh38fcv37jf04h3 posted...
shouldn't the main character achieve whatever goal they're trying to accomplish? building him up just to make him lose like that leaves a bitter taste. why would people want to watch this show

If he actually does accomplish his goal, then that's the end of the series. As long as he doesn't accomplish it, he can still continue.

That being said, the Japanese version of the DP finale mentioned winning the league is ONE STEP toward being a Pokémon master, so I don't see why they can't have him win a league and then get beaten by an Elite Four member or a Champion Master.
---
Petition to merge the broadcast and cable TV boards into one:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/57681911
#4pokedude900Posted 3/12/2012 6:34:28 AM
He had to lose his first league battle because they needed a reason to continue the story. All the ones after that got rather repetitive. And the Sinnoh league was just ridiculous, especially since they hyped up the elite 4 for the first time.

Anyway, the main character losing is not something new. Just look at Dragon Ball. Goku lost his first two tournaments. And he had to win the third because he was fighting an evil being.
---
"Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"-Albert Einstein; see my quote for discussion of both
#5DonkeyKongSongPosted 3/12/2012 9:08:24 AM
pokedude900 posted...
He had to lose his first league battle because they needed a reason to continue the story. All the ones after that got rather repetitive. And the Sinnoh league was just ridiculous, especially since they hyped up the elite 4 for the first time.

QFT, though I think the first one was even more ridiculous. As cheap as that battle against Tobias was, I'll take it over the Richie battle anyday.

Anyway, the main character losing is not something new. Just look at Dragon Ball. Goku lost his first two tournaments. And he had to win the third because he was fighting an evil being.

Dragon Ball is different. I think the main goal in Dragon Ball is fighting evil beings, though I'm not that far in the original and haven't started Z yet (actually lost interest, will try Kai after finishing original, no interest in GT whatsoever). It's also part of the reason I don't draw comparisons to shows like Digimon, Bakugan, Yu-Gi-Oh!, etc. as much anymore (the former two I only use for shipping b/c someone else brought it up), as well as brutality. (I know the Digimon don't really die, but it's still the kind of brutality I don't want to see in Pokémon, sans the movies.)
---
#6tvmasterdoodlesPosted 3/12/2012 11:36:07 AM
I want ash to lose the very first battle of the very first round of he unova league
---
Diamond FC:0817-3919-8995
Black FC: 3224 4870 9223
#7DonkeyKongSongPosted 3/12/2012 12:12:54 PM
tvmasterdoodles posted...
I want ash to lose the very first battle of the very first round of he unova league

That's going a little too far. With the way things are going though, I doubt he'll make it to the top 4 though. I'd say 8 again or maybe even 16. That said, there's little doubt in my mind he'll beat Trip in the Unova League.
---
#8tvmasterdoodlesPosted 3/12/2012 12:40:50 PM
I hate how they basically made Trip a new trainer as strong as paul
---
#9tvmasterdoodlesPosted 3/12/2012 12:48:50 PM(edited)
Donkey Kong Song III posted...
tvmasterdoodles posted...

That's going a little too far. With the way things are going though, I doubt he'll make it to the top 4 though. I'd say 8 again or maybe even 16. That said, there's little doubt in my mind he'll beat Trip in the Unova League.

He kinda deserves to lose in the first round first battle with how stupid he's been i mean have you seen his battle against elesa? i mean i haven't because I can't stomache it but i've heard about it, idiot boy thinks he can win with only one pokemon just because of type advantages, and it has barely batled at that, only real battle experience for palpitoad was in that stupid filler tournament for those idiotic wings, and don't go telling me it wasn't because In my eyes it was, that big haired louse Iris deserved to lose, back on topic for his battle against elesa he should really know better by now that type isn't the only thing that matters
---
#10tvmasterdoodlesPosted 3/12/2012 12:56:02 PM
and another thing why doesn't ash catch any leegnday pokemon he encounters, or at the very leat attempt to? I get sme cases like suicune and entie and lugia but what about zapdos and dialga and palkia as well as the lake trio
---