What is the best online RPG without monthly fee? NOT a MMORPG, just "MORPG"

#1TheRaven1406Posted 6/8/2011 4:47:49 PM
I loved Diablo, Diablo2 and especially Neverwinter Nights 1, then I got lost in MMOs but I am now tired of their concept and the monthly fees

btw I tried Guild Wars and I hated it (controls suck as did the community and it was too pvp focused and you only had like 6 active skills), also tried some weaker Diablo clones (like Dungeon Runners)

Perfect would be a game with deep character building system, lots of stats, strategy like NWN 1 (NWN2 isn't too great :-/ ) !
#2zavlinzPosted 6/8/2011 5:41:26 PM
eh, you could try d&d and lord of the rings. Those are both games that used to be pay to play and are now free.
#3XamdPosted 6/8/2011 7:36:38 PM(edited)
PSO all the way by a lightyear and then some.
- it's an action rpg and not point and click (no melee skills, only spell though)
- no traveling, 1 town from which you warp to several dungeons
- all dungeons are instances with somewhat randomized maps
- 4 players maximum per room
- while heavily equipment driven, character stats also matter a lot and without either you can still make up for it to a good extent by playing skill
- you can pinpoint the drop location of almost every item, making hunting much more efficient, if slow because of the drop rates
- 100% free to play, several private servers, though the only one with a n amount of active players worth mentions is schthack
- community can be good...at times. While full of jerks, I managed to make tons of friends, but I guess it's like that about everywhere
- decent economy, so you don't have to hunt for everything but can buy/sell/trade (no special feature, make a room with the appropriate name and people will find you...mostly)
- 3 different episodes with 11 dungeons and 9 bosses
- a lot of quests
- 12 classes
- decent customization options during character creation
many different build/set up options for the classes
---
Chosen wa pantsu banchou, ne.
Nanto, ware wa nanji, nanji wa pantsu, ware wa pantsu no hangan nanoka? Ki ni suru na yo, my Raddy!
#4TheRaven1406(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2011 1:17:50 AM
Thanks for the suggestions,

- tried DDO and I like it quite a bit, except for the sketchy UI and controls, however it is VERY limited in free to play (all best dungeons are locked and it's difficult to level 10+ because of lack of free dungeons)
While not a true MMO (lots of instancing, small world), it has some of the disadvantages of the genre, like grinding (especially as a free player as you have to grind out the turbine points)

- Lord of the Rings is a true MMO, I found the trial ok (but not better than WoW) ,when it was still P2P. Is it very limited as free to play?

- PSO is an asian style RPG.. I'm not too fond of these, and it's very old now, but I might try it out

Is there even a CO/OP / online multiplayer strategical RPG other than NWN 1&2 ?

I know these games are rare now even for single player... it's all about the simplified action RPGS and MMOs now
#5LizardneckPosted 6/9/2011 3:00:02 AM
The Raven1406 posted...
btw I tried Guild Wars and I hated it (controls suck as did the community and it was too pvp focused and you only had like 6 active skills)

The community part's frequently true, and it's 8 skills instead of 6, but the rest of that makes me wonder if you actually have played the game at all.

Is there even a CO/OP / online multiplayer strategical RPG other than NWN 1&2 ?

A friend of mine was telling me about League of Legends recently, but I've never played it.
#6chocomogPosted 6/9/2011 6:15:06 AM
LoL is PvP only; it's not really an RPG, seeing as matches are about an hour long and you start with a level 1 hero in every match.
---
2011 Chicago Cubs: 23-28
What's that? Ah -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs?! You kidding me?! Playoffs?! I just hope we can win a game! Another game!
#7spotaflint33Posted 6/9/2011 7:22:24 AM
Sacred 2. Its better on the consoles, but still good on the computer. Its free online, its a straight up diablo clone to the point where Blizzard reccomended it for people waiting for Diablo 3. It has a cool skill system where you can hot key around 12 skills and even write combos of skills (which can also be hot keyed instead of individual skills).
---
pancakes
#8PS2GamerPosted 6/9/2011 8:40:00 AM
Atlantica Online?

It isa turn based MMO with a party up to 9 characters... I found it a lot of fun but haven't played in quite a while...
---
~ ~ ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way ~ ~ ~
/| ~ Love would have conquered all..... ~ |\
#9pyro_buntaPosted 6/9/2011 9:05:41 AM
Private server games are the way to go if you want free ones.
---
...then blame it to the cabbages