What is the best online RPG without monthly fee? NOT a MMORPG, just "MORPG"

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. RPGs - Everything Else
  3. What is the best online RPG without monthly fee? NOT a MMORPG, just "MORPG"

User Info: TheRaven1406

TheRaven1406
5 years ago#1
I loved Diablo, Diablo2 and especially Neverwinter Nights 1, then I got lost in MMOs but I am now tired of their concept and the monthly fees

btw I tried Guild Wars and I hated it (controls suck as did the community and it was too pvp focused and you only had like 6 active skills), also tried some weaker Diablo clones (like Dungeon Runners)

Perfect would be a game with deep character building system, lots of stats, strategy like NWN 1 (NWN2 isn't too great :-/ ) !

User Info: zavlinz

zavlinz
5 years ago#2
eh, you could try d&d and lord of the rings. Those are both games that used to be pay to play and are now free.

User Info: Xamd

Xamd
5 years ago#3
PSO all the way by a lightyear and then some.
- it's an action rpg and not point and click (no melee skills, only spell though)
- no traveling, 1 town from which you warp to several dungeons
- all dungeons are instances with somewhat randomized maps
- 4 players maximum per room
- while heavily equipment driven, character stats also matter a lot and without either you can still make up for it to a good extent by playing skill
- you can pinpoint the drop location of almost every item, making hunting much more efficient, if slow because of the drop rates
- 100% free to play, several private servers, though the only one with a n amount of active players worth mentions is schthack
- community can be good...at times. While full of jerks, I managed to make tons of friends, but I guess it's like that about everywhere
- decent economy, so you don't have to hunt for everything but can buy/sell/trade (no special feature, make a room with the appropriate name and people will find you...mostly)
- 3 different episodes with 11 dungeons and 9 bosses
- a lot of quests
- 12 classes
- decent customization options during character creation
many different build/set up options for the classes
Chosen wa pantsu banchou, ne.
Nanto, ware wa nanji, nanji wa pantsu, ware wa pantsu no hangan nanoka? Ki ni suru na yo, my Raddy!

User Info: TheRaven1406

TheRaven1406
5 years ago#4
Thanks for the suggestions,

- tried DDO and I like it quite a bit, except for the sketchy UI and controls, however it is VERY limited in free to play (all best dungeons are locked and it's difficult to level 10+ because of lack of free dungeons)
While not a true MMO (lots of instancing, small world), it has some of the disadvantages of the genre, like grinding (especially as a free player as you have to grind out the turbine points)

- Lord of the Rings is a true MMO, I found the trial ok (but not better than WoW) ,when it was still P2P. Is it very limited as free to play?

- PSO is an asian style RPG.. I'm not too fond of these, and it's very old now, but I might try it out

Is there even a CO/OP / online multiplayer strategical RPG other than NWN 1&2 ?

I know these games are rare now even for single player... it's all about the simplified action RPGS and MMOs now

User Info: Lizardneck

Lizardneck
5 years ago#5
The Raven1406 posted...
btw I tried Guild Wars and I hated it (controls suck as did the community and it was too pvp focused and you only had like 6 active skills)

The community part's frequently true, and it's 8 skills instead of 6, but the rest of that makes me wonder if you actually have played the game at all.

Is there even a CO/OP / online multiplayer strategical RPG other than NWN 1&2 ?

A friend of mine was telling me about League of Legends recently, but I've never played it.

User Info: chocomog

chocomog
5 years ago#6
LoL is PvP only; it's not really an RPG, seeing as matches are about an hour long and you start with a level 1 hero in every match.
2011 Chicago Cubs: 23-28
What's that? Ah -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs?! You kidding me?! Playoffs?! I just hope we can win a game! Another game!

User Info: spotaflint33

spotaflint33
5 years ago#7
Sacred 2. Its better on the consoles, but still good on the computer. Its free online, its a straight up diablo clone to the point where Blizzard reccomended it for people waiting for Diablo 3. It has a cool skill system where you can hot key around 12 skills and even write combos of skills (which can also be hot keyed instead of individual skills).
pancakes

User Info: PS2Gamer

PS2Gamer
5 years ago#8
Atlantica Online?

It isa turn based MMO with a party up to 9 characters... I found it a lot of fun but haven't played in quite a while...
~ ~ ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way ~ ~ ~
/| ~ Love would have conquered all..... ~ |\

User Info: pyro_bunta

pyro_bunta
5 years ago#9
Private server games are the way to go if you want free ones.
...then blame it to the cabbages
  1. Boards
  2. RPGs - Everything Else
  3. What is the best online RPG without monthly fee? NOT a MMORPG, just "MORPG"

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived