Help bring Bravely Default (RPG - 3DS- Square) to US/Europe

#61JunpeiIoriPosted 1/16/2013 6:52:13 PM
Do you realize how much text is in modern day RPGs? MASSIVE amounts, plus the quality of the translations has only gotten better. This isn't Ted Woolsey caliber work anymore, we're getting good stuff.

Not only do you have to pay a team of people to translate the text, they also have to be good at interpreting it and making it sound natural in a completely different language. You also have to have a team of programmers who are capable of putting the new text into the game. It isn't as simple as cutting out the old stuff and inserting the new stuff. Formatting is often entirely different, so a complete recoding of dialogue boxes and the text that goes in them is necessary.

Then, if a game has voice acting, you're going to need to record that in the new language. Gotta pay for studio time and pay for actors.

After all that is done, debugging needs to be done, which can sometimes take months. After all, you're messing with the game's code and you want to make sure the things you've changed didn't bring up any new bugs or glitches.

After that. you need to send a copy to the first-party publisher (Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft) putting the game on their system. They don't just LET you put anything you want on their product.

Oh, and getting your game rated by the ESRB isn't free. That costs money too. Also, add in the cost of any marketing you're going to want to do. This is important, because you're investing a lot of money into bringing a foreign title into a new culture. You need to make sure you drum up interest.

The entire process of localizing a game can take anywhere from a year to a year and a half, on average. Not only is that a lot of time but that's a lot of money you're spending during that time.

So, how much do you think all of that time, resources, and people cost to utilize during that period? Here's a hint...it's a lot.

So yeah, localizing a game can ABSOLUTELY cost more than the amount of money they would make by selling the game. That's why we don't get every game you could ever want. If a company doesn't think their title would make a profit, they're not going to bother wasting their valuable cash on costly localizations.

Making games is expensive, dude.
---
PSN / XBL: JunpeiIori
Well, everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn. What this book presupposes is... maybe he didn't.
#62HolyAjoraPosted 1/17/2013 2:30:22 AM
All right then, I'm confused. Are we supposed to relax and assume the game will come eventually? That there is no need to panic at all.

Or are we supposed to conclude we'll never get the game because localizing games is expensive and the game will probably bomb?

All I know is this, history reminds us that we don't get everything. Yet it also reminds us that we still get some games.
---
"Oh five spirits that rule the world, give me strength!"- Judy (Unlimited SaGa)
#63JunpeiIoriPosted 1/17/2013 6:26:06 AM
I'm going to tell you to be patient. The game has been received well enough and has sold well enough that I'm positive Square has already decided whether or not they're localizing the game. If they've decided that they are, then it's already being worked on but it hasn't been announced yet because, like I said, localizing a game can take a long time. You don't want to announce it too early.

Look at Pandora's Tower, that game was just announced for the US yesterday and it's coming out in...what, March? With that little bit of time left, that means they're done with practically everything, they're probably just waiting for final approval from Nintendo and getting everything manufactured. That's when you announce something is coming out, not when you start the process, then everyone is left going, "How long does it freakin' take?!"

My two posts regarding the subject of difficulty, cost, effort, etc in regards to localizing games, was directed at the two people who acted like everything in the world of video games is lollipops and hyperspace rainbows. I was trying to let them in on how the process is not nearly as simple and cheap as they would like it to be.

If they think it's so easy and there is so much money to be made, then I'd like to see them open up their own localization company.
---
Well, everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn. What this book presupposes is... maybe he didn't.
#64Jag85Posted 1/23/2013 12:54:49 PM
What interests me most about Bravely Default is the writer Naotaka Hayashi. He's the guy who wrote the highly acclaimed visual novel Steins Gate, which was later adapted into an equally acclaimed anime series. For those not familiar with Steins Gate, let's just say that it had one of the best sci-fi narratives I've seen in a very long time... in any medium, let alone video games.

In other words, I'm pretty interested in what he has to offer with Bravely Default. The plot sounds like a stereotypical JRPG fantasy tale so far, but knowing Hayashi, there must be a lot more to it than just that... The way he subverted a lot of anime cliches in Steins Gate, it would be pretty neat to see him do the same thing for a lot of the JRPG cliches.
#65ikilledkenny2Posted 1/23/2013 1:09:20 PM
Yeah, Steins;Gate's writer is one of the biggest reasons I'm interested in this game

besides having a really fun classic style jrpg on my 3DS, of course
#66loosingENDS(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 9:55:53 AM
Rich from IGN is trying to garner support for Bravely Default. Everyone, jump on your Twitter machines and give him a hand!

https://twitter.com/RichIGN/status/293445955179655168

Hopefully this great game makes it to US/Europe at some point
#67loosingENDS(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 10:20:36 PM
http://gengame.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/bravely-default-ff-tgs-2012.jpg

Petition reaches close to 1300 signatures :)

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/operation-brave-square-enix-bring-bravely-default-flying-fairy-to-the-west

Here is also a thread i made in GAF with much info and art

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510483

I plan to make a similar thread here, or just upgrade/change this one
#68DavzzPosted 1/28/2013 10:32:03 PM
Well I'm going to poop the party and say you know Squaresoft probably isn't going to care about 1300 people, right?

Heck, even if you add a bunch more zeros to that number, they'll probably still not care.
---
http://ontlogy.wordpress.com/
"Don't blame me, blame yourself or the RNG."
#69JunpeiIoriPosted 1/29/2013 6:35:06 AM
Oooooh, 1,300! Man, the combined $52,000 they get off those sales will totally make up for the hundreds of thousands of dollars it will take to localize the game!

Oh wait, all 52,000 of those dollars aren't even going to Square, since I used the $40 price tag it will retail at. Even less money...yup, totally still worth it!
---
#70Lord of NightmaresPosted 1/29/2013 6:40:21 AM
Jag85 posted...
What interests me most about Bravely Default is the writer Naotaka Hayashi. He's the guy who wrote the highly acclaimed visual novel Steins Gate, which was later adapted into an equally acclaimed anime series. For those not familiar with Steins Gate, let's just say that it had one of the best sci-fi narratives I've seen in a very long time... in any medium, let alone video games.

Really? I watched Steins;Gate and I found it to be alright, although I didn't think it lived up to all the hype. The first half just seemed a little too slow-moving for my tastes and could've been done in maybe 2/3rds as many episodes, although it did pick up somewhat during the second half.

Also, it's obvious that it was inspired quite a fair bit by Back to the Future, but I still prefer the latter trilogy by a mile.