Would you like to see a retro 8-16 bit RPG of a more modern series?

#1AmenonuhokoPosted 1/30/2013 6:33:42 PM
If so, then which one? - Results (49 votes)
Yes, I would
42.86% (21 votes)
No, I don't like retro games
4.08% (2 votes)
No, there are enough original retro RPGs to bother with ruining a more recent series
18.37% (9 votes)
No, the current handhelds are as "retro-looking" as I'll go
6.12% (3 votes)
No, technology advances and so should games so get over it
12.24% (6 votes)
Maybe, but I'm not sure because...
4.08% (2 votes)
This topic is stupid and I have nothing better to do than complain
4.08% (2 votes)
I just clicked to see what others think
8.16% (4 votes)
Other
0% (0 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I've been thinking about this a lot recently as I work on fleshing out my retro game collection.
There are plenty of good original ones but why not downgrade one of my favorite series?
I began thinking, "I wonder what Squeenix would do if they decided to make an 8-bit FF game now or what a new Shadow Hearts would look like on the SNES"
Of course they probably wouldn't sell well but I imagine there are plenty of people like me who would snap them up in a heartbeat.

I'd have to say that I'm curious.
I've seen a few fan-made games that try to re-imagine games on earlier platforms and although some are pretty cool most are incomplete or have godawful bugs.
I'd like to see what a large company would do with the concept.

What do you think?
---
Winners don't lose drugs.
CO, WA...We'll kill marijuana prohibition one state at a time if we must.
#2almostexactlyPosted 1/30/2013 7:07:45 PM(edited)
Amenonuhoko posted...

I began thinking, "I wonder what Squeenix would do if they decided to make an 8-bit FF game now or what a new Shadow Hearts would look like on the SNES"

Have you seen Final Fantasy Dimensions? It's not actually 8-16 bit but it's done in that style and they released it kinda recently.
It was released before on iMode and EZWeb phones in 2010 but they remade it and put it on iOS and Android and made it available outside of Japan.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/smart/ffdl/en/
#3Amenonuhoko(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 8:20:19 PM
almostexactly posted...
Have you seen Final Fantasy Dimensions? It's not actually 8-16 bit but it's done in that style and they released it kinda recently.
It was released before on iMode and EZWeb phones in 2010 but they remade it and put it on iOS and Android and made it available outside of Japan.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/smart/ffdl/en/

Actually I've barely even heard of it, much less seen any pics.
I only use cheap-ass burner phones and use my laptop for mobile access because phones and tabs don't have the power to handle my audio/video editing and graphics design needs.
Because of that, I completely glossed over it as soon as I heard "iOS" and quickly forgot about it.

Glad you reminded me though.
If I get desperate, I'm sure that I can find some way to play it...
---
Winners don't lose drugs.
CO, WA...We'll kill marijuana prohibition one state at a time if we must.
#4JunpeiIoriPosted 1/30/2013 8:34:29 PM
It sure worked for Penny Arcade Episode 3.
---
PSN / XBL: JunpeiIori
Well, everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn. What this book presupposes is... maybe he didn't.
#5SilentSerphPosted 1/30/2013 8:55:31 PM
Final Fantasy Dimensions is more a retro imitation game than an original game.

But I do think we're going to be seeing a lot of 16 bit style RPGs for smart phones.

What I'd prefer to see is more of the things that worked in old RPGs applied to new technology. There were good and bad things about old games. They've already gotten rid of the bad things, so I'd like to see them take the good things about old games and add them to the good things about new games.

Keep the beautiful graphics and the immersive, cinematic story. Now, make the combat really quick, get rid of the forced tutorials, and make sure that within five minutes of putting the game into my system, I am engaged in actual combat.

Keep the newer menu navigation systems and the hotkeys. Now, give me full strategic control over combat. Let me explore the world on my own without being handheld, and leave a bunch of stuff around the world that's hard to find.

Keep the dungeons beautiful, but make me figure out how to get through the dungeons with my own reasoning skills.
#6Lord of NightmaresPosted 1/30/2013 8:58:10 PM
I definitely had blast with Penny Arcade Episode III and Cthulhu Saves the World, and I'm currently enjoying FF Dimensions quite a bit as well even though the plot hasn't really grabbed me yet.

I think it could work well for RPGs if they manage to get the elements just right, unlike say Megaman which I felt took several steps backwards with MMs 9 and 10.
#7ShinGundamPosted 1/30/2013 9:40:11 PM
Nope, i am not into retro wannabes, i found them to be old school just on surface and breath air of cheapness.
#8ParominPosted 1/30/2013 10:28:20 PM(edited)
As much as I enjoyed FF Dimensions and PA3.

Nope.

I'm all for well animated HD sprite work.

But 16 bit graphics is just ugh, hell the whole style (RPG maker stuff) associated with it should just die. I don't want to see high profile games that look like they were done in RPG maker.
---
Playing: Project Cross Zone, 2nd SRW OG
Waiting for: SRW 3DS
#9Wandering__HeroPosted 1/31/2013 4:50:36 AM
SilentSerph posted...
Final Fantasy Dimensions is more a retro imitation game than an original game.

But I do think we're going to be seeing a lot of 16 bit style RPGs for smart phones.

What I'd prefer to see is more of the things that worked in old RPGs applied to new technology. There were good and bad things about old games. They've already gotten rid of the bad things, so I'd like to see them take the good things about old games and add them to the good things about new games.

Keep the beautiful graphics and the immersive, cinematic story. Now, make the combat really quick, get rid of the forced tutorials, and make sure that within five minutes of putting the game into my system, I am engaged in actual combat.

Keep the newer menu navigation systems and the hotkeys. Now, give me full strategic control over combat. Let me explore the world on my own without being handheld, and leave a bunch of stuff around the world that's hard to find.

Keep the dungeons beautiful, but make me figure out how to get through the dungeons with my own reasoning skills.

Yesh!

Though I could live without l33t graphics, but I don't want stories as simplistic as FF dimensions.

People rarely seem to shoot for FF6 when it comes to a 16 bit story, old school seems to mean the most simplistic and childish story possible. A cast as diverse and fleshed out as them would indeed be great.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.oneclickatatime.org/ and http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#10Vysion_of_booksPosted 1/31/2013 8:10:37 AM
I liked several of these modern games "demade" into pixel art.
http://kotaku.com/5601850/22-high+caliber-demakes-of-modern-favorites/gallery/1

In fact you can search Kotaku for "pixel art" and see several others.
---
-Vysion_of_books, vision with one i