Which series will be the premier JRPG series in 10 years?

#1hailthornPosted 2/2/2013 6:56:26 PM
Which series will be the premier JRPG series in 10 years? - Results (128 votes)
Shin Megami Tensei
21.09% (27 votes)
Dragon Quest
5.47% (7 votes)
Final Fantasy
24.22% (31 votes)
Tales Of
9.38% (12 votes)
Pokemon
20.31% (26 votes)
Paper Mario
0% (0 votes)
Kingdom Hearts
3.13% (4 votes)
Etrian Odyssey
3.13% (4 votes)
Other (Specify)
13.28% (17 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Question says it all.
---
CM Punk is a general in the ring.
#2Wandering__HeroPosted 2/2/2013 6:59:03 PM
How could the answer be anything but Pokemon?

The people born today will be going out to buy Pokemon Brown and Talc in 10 years.

Its a good series, but it has the perfect marketing engine, and while it doesn't evolve that much the staleness isn't an issue when new fans are always pouring in.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#3Gaming_Pal_TEJPosted 2/2/2013 7:01:40 PM
Dragon Quest might still be popular in Japan. I dunno about final fantasy, maybe it will still be popular in japan.

I can still see pokemon selling multi millions of copies in each region for every new release. It's also the only BIG rpg franchise I see that will still have worldwide appeal, and is still turn based {I believe that in the next 10 years, FF and DQ will become full blown action rpgs}.

so yeah, pokemon.
---
Hooah!
#4DavzzPosted 2/2/2013 7:04:14 PM
Is there seriously anyone who would vote for Etrian Odyssey? That's so random.
---
http://ontlogy.wordpress.com/
"Don't blame me, blame yourself or the RNG."
#5Gaming_Pal_TEJPosted 2/2/2013 7:08:46 PM
Yeah, it's popular for a niche franchise......but it will never become huge like DQ, FF, or Pokemon.

They'll still make new games for it, and sell enough copies to make a good profit, but I can't see John Q Average Gamer walking into a store to buy a copy.
---
Hooah!
#6AmenonuhokoPosted 2/2/2013 7:56:14 PM(edited)
A bunch of choices that are getting/already are old and niche franchise?

I pick other.

The Elder Scrolls...
Is what I hope makes it.

IMO, the technology will leap forward enough for a newcomer to blow everybody's mind.

I also think there's also a slight chance that Final Fantasy will reign again, their willingness to at least try shaking things up could work to their advantage.

As far as Pokemon, who knows? It could retain popularity based on nostalgia and appeal to children, but people who were born after it first got popular are getting old now.
I still haven't gotten around to trying it so IDK.
---
Winners don't lose drugs.
CO, WA...We'll kill marijuana prohibition one state at a time if we must.
#7SilentSerphPosted 2/2/2013 7:56:22 PM
Honestly I think 10 years from now JRPGs will have totally reinvented themselves for a modern audience.
#8hailthorn(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 7:57:02 PM
Amenonuhoko posted...

I pick other.

The Elder Scrolls...
Is what I hope makes it.

IMO, the technology will leap forward enough for a newcomer to blow everybody's mind.

I also think there's also a slight chance that Final Fantasy will reign again, their willingness to at least try shaking things up could work to their advantage.

As far as Pokemon, who knows? It could retain popularity based on nostalgia and appeal to children, but people who were born after it first got popular are getting old now.

Elder Scrolls is a WRPG series not a JRPG.
---
CM Punk is a general in the ring.
#9Gaming_Pal_TEJPosted 2/2/2013 8:01:45 PM
Amenonuhoko posted...

I pick other.

The Elder Scrolls...
Is what I hope makes it.

Do you live in a universe where Germany won WW2, and America is now the United States of Japan?

Cause' that's the only way I can see the elder scrolls being a japanese role playing game franchise.
---
Hooah!
#10Lord of NightmaresPosted 2/2/2013 8:20:59 PM
Dark Souls

I'm not entirely certain if Squaresoft will still be around (or at least as influential) in 10 years' time if they continue as they are, although Enix will most likely survive.