I have this habit when playing RPGs.....

#1ns_85Posted 2/6/2013 2:21:25 PM
I go for it 100%, grind all the way, put a lot of time to assure I get everything there is to get, explore, basically try to strive for completion.... and then I stop near the ending. The motivation to continue beating the game always dies off. It has been like this for almost 10 years now. I always stop playing when I'm near or at the final dungeon ._.
#2SilentSerphPosted 2/6/2013 3:27:32 PM
Maybe you're just getting bored from all the grinding. ;)

Yeah, this does happen for me sometimes. It happens toward the end of a game: Earlier in the game you are motivated to move forward by wanting to find out what happens. Now you know everything that could possibly happen, there are no surprises in the final dungeon. Everything left has been neatly choreographed for you, all that's left is a long tedious boss fight.

But if I grinded to get everything 100% I'd probably quit way before the ending. So...boring...
#3NecroFoul99Posted 2/6/2013 4:38:13 PM(edited)
I've done that too often.

Now, I just commit to beating the game. If I wind up really loving it, I'll go back to it at a later date.

My most recent foray with that mentality was Final Fantasy XIII-2. The first time I started playing I wouldn't leave an area until I captured all monsters, etc. I didn't finish the game...not even close.

The second time...I didn't worry about it at all, unless there was a specific I wanted for my paradigm pack.

Not only is it more fun pushing through the different areas without getting burnt out, it also helps the flow of the story.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/NecroFoul99/games?list_type=1&platform=0
#4HorithPosted 2/6/2013 4:55:54 PM
The last game I really tried this with was Etrian Odyssey III. I wouldn't leave a floor until I got all the weapons I could from it (minus FOE drops). I gave up around the fourth stratum.
---
"Now when I tell you to ascend to a higher plane of consciousness, you say HOW HIGH SIR?" --Bucky Katt
#5hailthornPosted 2/6/2013 10:07:11 PM
My problem is I start grinding way too early and I tend to lose interest. I love RPGs but for the life of me I have a hard time getting past the 25 hour mark.
---
CM Punk is a general in the ring.
#6PurestProdigyPosted 2/6/2013 11:43:53 PM
I used to do this.

It's usually because as a completionist I save the hard things and things I don't want to do (grinding for rare items, enemy spawns, etc) for last. So when they're all I have left to do I don't feel like it obviously.

I like to think I've got more patience for it now and can go without picking up another game until I finish what I'm doing in a game.
---
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|||||||||||||]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#7kimimiPosted 2/7/2013 12:39:36 AM
I'm never one to even try for 100% completion, but I definitely feel like this at times -

SilentSerph posted...
Now you know everything that could possibly happen, there are no surprises in the final dungeon. Everything left has been neatly choreographed for you, all that's left is a long tedious boss fight.

But if I grinded to get everything 100% I'd probably quit way before the ending. So...boring...

I kind of feel that if you can reach the final boss, then you should be able to beat it. The super-hard bosses can come from extra side quests or NG+, but to my mind the final (story) boss should be an exciting cherry on a cake before you get your ending, not a great big brick wall between you and the conclusion of a game you've invested 40+ hours in.
---
http://backloggery.com/kimimi
http://kimimisblog.blogspot.com/
#8nofxnofxPosted 2/7/2013 12:48:26 AM
If I am going to abandon a game it happens far earlier than you. I never try for 100% on a first run either as 100% usually means using a lot of guides and following the best path through a game, something that kills my enjoyment. If I want to fully complete a game it is usually on a third walkthrough when I am already familiar with everything else on offer. In fact I can then pace the less enjoyable grinds between parts of the story that provide suitable gaps.

I like the Tales ng+ and grade features for this very reason.
#9MegidolaonPosted 2/7/2013 7:05:39 AM
I always stop playing when I'm near or at the final dungeon ._.
lmao.

Maybe you're just getting bored from all the grinding. ;)
Yeah, comes to mind first.

Happens to me all the time at various parts of games, but it's usually temporary.
I suppose it happens when the result isn't quite what you were hoping for.
I mean, I once had the same thing in the last dungeon in Blue Dragon but that was simply because I got so pissed at not being able to dodge any fights (tiny spaces) after already having ground 3 hours straight before the final dungeon.

Usually it's just that it takes too long to reach the goal that I give up on the way.
Best example is Disgaea. 15 hours into the postgame of D2 I get to the point where you start hunting rank 39 weapons.
I spent like 5 hours spamming geo change and reloading saves and all I got was 2 for a 10 man team.
So I turned to cheats. Too bad I was playing the PAL version adn the cheats only work for the US version.
OK, so much into the game at that time I started an entirely new save.
Finally reaching postgame again I am actually still way into the game.
After using exp and mana max codes to unlock all tiers of the classes I want in my team and giving myself a variety of great equips, I think I wanna grind some more right now and do some more item world and stuff.
So I lvl up everyone of the final team to 300 instead of 600 like before. Get me a bunch of bailiffs for fellonies.
Then I sorta get bored and think I wanna continue were I left off after all.
My Codebreaker is s*** however. Randomly corrupts my save and all the relevant D2 codes have 20+ lines (takes 15 minutes to input a single code with verifying that there is no error).
Repeat 7 times.
God knows how often my codebreaker save corrupted after inputting the codes again.
No stomach left for anything, I simply drop the game.

Or Disgaea 4.
Nothing left to do besides unlocking LoC and chara worlding (duping makes item world pointless before).
Chara worlding is extremely tedious but I thought I'd do it at least until I reincarnated the story characters 5 times for the free 25% boost.
Nope.
Takes too long. Is too boring. Then I randomly get hyped cause I notice I have onyl tier 1 for dragons and decide I'll just unlock all tiers for all classes for fun.
Get bored after dragon tier 5.
Stop playing, not sure if I will continue >_>
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjVvnO5lgM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4qp0wv7cDUA#t=22s
#10GreshEvansPosted 2/7/2013 11:10:38 AM
This has happened to me a few times too. I just mentioned it in another topic. I'll try to finish all the side quests before the last fight and eventually get tired of them and stop playing the game without fighting the last boss.
---
Elements of the past, and elements of the future.
Comin' at ya'. From the future'.