What do you look for in a job/class system what games come the closest?

#21Red LobstarPosted 2/16/2013 10:57:53 PM
First thing I look for is how cool the classes look. I really like FF5 because of the variety in classes, and how each class looks different depending on which character is using it. Gives it a lot of personality. That's one reason why I love the FF classes and I just cannot get into the DQ ones. In DQ6 and 7 you couldn't see your characters, so you had no idea how a shepherd looks compared to a beastmaster. DQ3 had them as different sprites on the map, but still really simple. 9 was just all over since you could dress them how you want. Compare that to just a basic white mage in FF. I've seen so many variations on that standard costume it's really fascinating.

Beyond that I look for how I can abuse the system to make an overpowered character. Like a magic user who can use a weapon to drain MP from the enemy. Bam, infinite source of power. Bind a secondary permanent status on her (like Blink in FF5) and you'll be dishing out damage all day while taking next to none. It's a good feeling when your hours of planning comes together. You took a character who died just looking at a houseplant and molded them into someone who can hold their ground against a super boss. I need to hook up my PS2 and load my FFT file someday, but I remember having an oracle with backup white magic, or something along those lines. She could heal, and dish out status effects. Truly an ultimate beast. I know there was more to it, but I was really proud of her.
#22BowtiesAreCoolPosted 2/17/2013 5:08:09 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics.
#23KrisenaPosted 2/17/2013 5:09:33 AM
Red Lobstar posted...
First thing I look for is how cool the classes look. I really like FF5 because of the variety in classes, and how each class looks different depending on which character is using it. Gives it a lot of personality. That's one reason why I love the FF classes and I just cannot get into the DQ ones. In DQ6 and 7 you couldn't see your characters, so you had no idea how a shepherd looks compared to a beastmaster. DQ3 had them as different sprites on the map, but still really simple. 9 was just all over since you could dress them how you want. Compare that to just a basic white mage in FF. I've seen so many variations on that standard costume it's really fascinating.

This is a really good point and I whole-heartedly support the usage of classes when it contributes to what we can see of a character's personality, like you mention.
---
Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
#24HoskitPosted 2/17/2013 8:46:33 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#25Amenonuhoko(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 9:14:03 AM
Red Lobstar posted...

Beyond that I look for how I can abuse the system to make an overpowered character. Like a magic user who can use a weapon to drain MP from the enemy. Bam, infinite source of power. Bind a secondary permanent status on her (like Blink in FF5) and you'll be dishing out damage all day while taking next to none. It's a good feeling when your hours of planning comes together. You took a character who died just looking at a houseplant and molded them into someone who can hold their ground against a super boss. I need to hook up my PS2 and load my FFT file someday, but I remember having an oracle with backup white magic, or something along those lines. She could heal, and dish out status effects. Truly an ultimate beast. I know there was more to it, but I was really proud of her.

I have neither agreed nor disagreed with any other position in this topic more than these two.
I completely agree with the first paragraph. It clearly expresses a deep feeling of connection with the overall style of a game, a feeling that I often overlook.

Although I cannot resist overpowering characters when given the opportunity(I also cannot resist using cheats even when I don't need them. I don't know why, I just can't),
I completely disagree with wanting the ability to overpower characters; it kills the difficulty of a game which I consider to be integral to the fun factor, but I obviously do understand how a person can like it so much: partly because in most circumstances it involves thinking outside the box, partly because of the feeling of power it gives the player and, in the case of those of us who don't use FAQs, because we thought of it.
---
Winners don't lose drugs.
People say I have a problem with authority figures, truth is we'd get along just fine if I could smack the s*** outta them sometimes.
#26Red LobstarPosted 2/18/2013 4:21:57 AM
Yeah, the best thing I like about RPGs is customizing my characters and watching them grow. As for killing the challenge and fun, it's usually not until the end of the game or until post-game that you really get to exploit the system, at least to the point where it completely breaks the game. It wouldn't be fun if you could one shot your way through everything the whole time during the game (though it is fun on a second run with games that have new game+). What's kind of funny though is that in games like Disgaea that actually encourage overpowering I get bored pretty quickly and abandon it. I guess it's only fun when I can be sneaky about it and find some creative loophole. Just grinding guys to have 2 million HP takes all the art out of it.
#27Amenonuhoko(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 8:04:31 AM
Yeah I don't mind doing it for Disgaea.
The main reason I dislike FFT is because I can't resist wasting time overpowering characters.
I think the worst game I've seen for this is FFV.
Not for the overall powering up, no. It's the barehanded ability at the beginning of the game.
I don't like how broken it is in the early parts but I still can't resist a party of barehanded mages.
---
Winners don't lose drugs.
People say I have a problem with authority figures, truth is we'd get along just fine if I could smack the s*** outta them sometimes.