Name some features you've liked in turn-based RPG's

#1Robert_Griffin3Posted 3/22/2013 8:03:06 AM
I was just trying to think of some cool side-quests, features, battle systems in RPG's I've played.

- I really enjoyed the card game in FF8. I'm replaying it right now, and it's still probably the best part of the game.

- Loved the battle system in Blue Dragon for some reason. I don't really know what made it so interesting to me.

- As for a feature, obviously the huge dungeon in Lufia 2. I think it was 100 floors?

- Blitzball would NOT be on this list.

I was trying to think of some others, what do yall think?
#2Wandering__HeroPosted 3/22/2013 8:46:27 AM
- Job system. FF3, 5 and Tactics, not DQ6 where it was boring and laughably unbalanced (every job but the fighter or mage type ones are useless, and the game is so easy it doesn't really matter). DQ3 and 9 had fun job systems, albeit much less flexible.

- Monster Breeding in DQM or DQMJ now THIS is the DQ answer to the job system. I kind of like the throw whatever skills you like method in DWM even if its unbalanced as hell (but its fun and at least the single player is much tougher than DQ6, so their is something be gained by gaming it). DQM1 is boring till breeding opens up then its AMAZING.

- Mons and monster catching. I love this in just about every game that has it (except DQ6 where its clumsily slapped on, a chore to do and your mons end up outclassed anyway). I love the variety and strategy it adds to the game.

- The bike game in and the play in FF7. One is a cool minigame with great music, the other was so hilarious i actually cried doing it (by picking the stupidest options possible until : Aeries runs in and punches Cloud for being an idiot..

- Triple Triad. Repetitive and further unbalances a mess of a game, but I'll be dammed if it isn't addictive.

- Being able to use money is SRW to upgrade individual attacks of stacks. Great amount of Customisation, heightens the strategy if the game is balanced in mind for it (i.e: Not SRW Judgement) and actually makes the money you get meaningful. Also goes well with the Ko=Fine thing, which is an actual penalty without being as annoying as Perma death.

- Battle Masteries. Adjustable difficulty and promoting strategy ftw. Not so much in Og1 first game where its usually just rush mindlessly, but used awesomely in Original Generations 2.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
Official Generic Village Girl of the FE13 board
#3CloudslashPosted 3/22/2013 8:52:58 AM
For some weird reason, I tend to enjoy battle systems with timed hits like in SMRPG, Legend of Dragoon, Shadow Hearts, etc.

Also, RPGs where you can combine moves like in Chrono Trigger, PSIV, Grandia Xtreme, etc.
---
"Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality." - Tales of Symphonia 2: Dawn of the New World
#4Robert_Griffin3(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 9:42:04 AM
FF8 had the timed battle system as well, but just for bonus.

Also reminds me of their GF power up thing, where you hit the square button repeatedly while your GF summon scene is playing. A red X will show up every now and then and you have to stop hitting square. If you don't, you drop to 75% of the normal power. Otherwise you can get it up to like 250% I think.

I'm replaying FF8 right now so that's why I got all this FF8 stuff in my mind.
#5darkrpgerPosted 3/22/2013 11:10:29 AM
The feature that I'd most like to see...is to see the RPG's *featured* on CONSOLES again :(
---
Paying the Burnt-Bridge toll... "A lot of truth is said in jest" ~_~
http://www.vgcollect.com / check-it-out!!!
#6AkazoraPosted 3/22/2013 12:40:27 PM(edited)
darkrpger posted...
The feature that I'd most like to see...is to see the RPG's *featured* on CONSOLES again :(

I'm aware that a lot of people don't like NIS or Idea Factory because of how animu it is, but to be honest JRPGs have always been like that. You just don't notice it before because the graphics hadn't reached the point where its become easy to associate.

So if you don't want to touch those kinds of games, maybe you've just outgrown them. Or you haven't outgrown them and need to learn to indulge and stop caring what people think.
#7darkrpgerPosted 3/22/2013 1:11:34 PM
Akazora posted...
darkrpger posted...

I'm aware that a lot of people don't like NIS or Idea Factory because of how animu it is, but to be honest JRPGs have always been like that. You just don't notice it before because the graphics hadn't reached the point where its become easy to associate.

So if you don't want to touch those kinds of games, maybe you've just outgrown them. Or you haven't outgrown them and need to learn to indulge and stop caring what people think.

That's not what I meant - I like a lot of NISA, IF, and Gust games...

...I just meant that I'd love it if all of the great rpg's that are going strictly to the hand-helds, would also get console releases...for those of us who would prefer playing on a console over a hand-held :)
---
#8AkazoraPosted 3/22/2013 1:39:34 PM
Well then, I apologize. I see that sentiment way too often.

There are reasons why they aren't on consoles nowadays though, and i'm sure you already know why.

TBH i'm kind of interested in seeing what happens next generation - PS4 is announced, but the cost to profit ratio for console games this generation already isn't worth it, and I don't think development is going to get any cheaper.
#9ZenithianHeroPosted 3/22/2013 1:55:55 PM
SMT's press turn. If you exploit weaknesses or strengths you can gain extra turns or lose turns. Really makes every move count.
I also like it when games have a turn order chart. Really fun to try and knock enemies behind allies or rid of their icon before they attack.
#10darkrpgerPosted 3/22/2013 2:29:37 PM
Akazora posted...
Well then, I apologize. I see that sentiment way too often.

There are reasons why they aren't on consoles nowadays though, and i'm sure you already know why.

TBH i'm kind of interested in seeing what happens next generation - PS4 is announced, but the cost to profit ratio for console games this generation already isn't worth it, and I don't think development is going to get any cheaper.

No problem :)

I'm interested to see what happens w/ the upcoming gen, too!

Also, personally, only having one hand to game with is a *BIG* part of the reason why I prefer consoles to hand-helds so much...it's just more comfortable & do-able to play with 1 big controller, than it is on the smaller hand-held consoles.
---