Name some features you've liked in turn-based RPG's

#31SuperrpgmanPosted 3/29/2013 5:11:29 PM
1. With the exception to a few games that were HEAVILY inspired by JRPGs, WRPGs that has this spell animations that last...at the most, 3 seconds(and even then, this si rare), and generally attack animations are over in the same time frame.

2. First of all, this idea generally isn't going to work outside of a strategy rpg. Otherwise, it'll make pretty much every battle in the game halfway through literally un-losable unless you're foolish.

3. I can't think of one game that's really been all that enhanced by the option to defend. Generally, it just makes a battle last longer. I think of some really bad games which encourage you to defend, then attack (IE: 7th Saga) and I think "Dear god does this game have no idea what it's doing!" or a considerably worse game (Golden Sun) and think " Seriiously?!!! Not only does this appeal to pseudo-intellectuals when it comes to its dialogue, but also it's gameplay!)

4. Balanced Physical/Magical what?

5. Again, there are so many WRPGs out there that have a huge focus on buffing. Would you like some suggestions?
---
Project Beat a Game a Day, along with my Daily NES Archive:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563947-a-view-to-a-kill
#32SuperrpgmanPosted 3/29/2013 5:18:28 PM
Arayziel posted...
Basically, Fallout 2. I loved that game's battle system because of battles on the same screen as exploration, limb damage, unique animations, and just all the attention to detail and strategy. I can't ever go back to other turn based RPGs because they just bore me now.

I'm with you here on all of that(Well, minus the final sentence.) I've put more time into Fallout 2 than any other game I've ever played.

BTW, concerning the final sentence...I really hope you're not serious, because you're missing out on a lot of great games in general, both before and after the game's release.
---
Project Beat a Game a Day, along with my Daily NES Archive:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563947-a-view-to-a-kill
#33ArayzielPosted 3/29/2013 6:08:04 PM(edited)
Superrpgman posted...
Arayziel posted...
Basically, Fallout 2. I loved that game's battle system because of battles on the same screen as exploration, limb damage, unique animations, and just all the attention to detail and strategy. I can't ever go back to other turn based RPGs because they just bore me now.

I'm with you here on all of that(Well, minus the final sentence.) I've put more time into Fallout 2 than any other game I've ever played.

BTW, concerning the final sentence...I really hope you're not serious, because you're missing out on a lot of great games in general, both before and after the game's release.

I've played a massive amount of turn based rpgs, it used to be my favorite genre but I'm burnt out (especially of the old "2 teams on opposite side of a battlefield that's magically removed from the field take turns beating each other up" battle systems).

The new wasteland looks really good though, and I like strategy games like XCOM or Valkyria Chronicles but they lack exploration. Fallout has both, and on the same screen no less.
#34KaeporaPosted 3/30/2013 12:59:17 PM
I liked how in Skies of Arcadia, during an attack animation, all the non-involved combatants would be sparring off in the background. No damage done, but a nice detail. Wild Arms 3 had everyone running around but doing nothing, which is okay I guess (?).

I like when a game gives you a turn list and shows you how your selected action will impact it (using an item will give them a turn quicker than using a spell, etc.). Arc Rise Fantasia, Final Fantasy X, Wild Arms 4 are the games that leap to my mind immediately.

I like games where your formation and/or positioning is actually important. This is usually SRPG territory but sometimes gets use in regular RPGs. Arc Rise Fantasia and the Grandia series let you move around the field with a command so you can minimize the effects of area attacks. Wild Arms 4 let you shield a mage by cutting off access to adjoining hexes. Lost Odyssey had a boss with a move that actually changed your row formation so it could hit more people with a follow-up attack (if you didn't bother to correct it before the second attack went off).