Square Enix's Yoichi Wada Is Stepping Down

#11ParominPosted 3/26/2013 5:44:00 PM
Sure TWEWY performed better than your average DS game.

But that's pretty much it. Should it have gotten a sequel? Sure.

But if you're going to base it on sales performance, then it should really come as no surprise why SE didn't bother with it for so long given that they have a bunch of far more successful IPs.

If it had been published by a much smaller company then TWEWY2 would have happened in a heartbeat.
---
"An ample chest equals justice"
#12Vyse_skiesPosted 3/26/2013 5:51:16 PM
Tethealla posted...
Rygon posted...
What does a Final Fantasy game play like?

Like FF1-XIII2

Nah, more like FF1 - IX.

Yeah, while X2 and XII were great, they weren't FF. All they need to do is follow the same formula, but have battles at a faster pace, like in Blue Dragon. The speed of those battles was awesome.
---
My ignore list is exclusive to trolls only. I should warn you though, it's crowded and the trolls imprisoned within are mean, anti-social and well... ignored.
#13RygonPosted 3/26/2013 6:27:40 PM
A good game is a good game. I don't want them to be chained to repeating the same formula over and over. People often say "that's a good game but it's a poor (blank) series game." No it's not. It's a good game.
---
http://backloggery.com/war_lion108
#14CKSquaPosted 3/26/2013 7:01:56 PM
Wandering__Hero posted...
I remember TWEWY being in the sales chart for AGES so i figured it was pretty successful for a new IP

It was successful in a niche kind of way. If you're referring to Japanese charts, you have to realize that game sales have become so weak that a product doesn't have to sell particularly well to make the Top 30. 15 years ago, Japanese developers rejoiced when a game sold a million copies. Nowadays, 200,000 copies are enough for them to sing of great success.

200k = big surprise hit. Bear in mind that in 2000, Vagrant Story was deemed a disappointment for selling only 300k copies.

The large Japanese publishers have been depending on western markets to keep them alive, especially in light of how expensive development has become. However, with the exception of Pokemon and Final Fantasy, Japanese RPGs have proven to be a lost cause in terms of mainstream, global expansion.
#15TetheallaPosted 3/26/2013 7:54:06 PM
Vyse_skies posted...
Tethealla posted...
Rygon posted...

Like FF1-XIII2

Nah, more like FF1 - IX.

Yeah, while X2 and XII were great, they weren't FF. All they need to do is follow the same formula, but have battles at a faster pace, like in Blue Dragon. The speed of those battles was awesome.

Really? Pretty sure FFX-FFXIV are all main FF games. Pretty sure that means that they play like FF games. Don't think there is really room for opinion there. Now if you wanted to say make them play like pre-PS2 FF games, that'd be a different thing entirely.
---
HDN: 22/46[] RoAW0: 2/44[] Mugen Souls: 19/51[]
[PSN: ArcanaXIII]
#16Vyse_skiesPosted 3/26/2013 7:58:21 PM
Tethealla posted...
Vyse_skies posted...
Tethealla posted...
Rygon posted...

Like FF1-XIII2

Nah, more like FF1 - IX.

Really? Pretty sure FFX-FFXIV are all main FF games. Pretty sure that means that they play like FF games. Don't think there is really room for opinion there. Now if you wanted to say make them play like pre-PS2 FF games, that'd be a different thing entirely.

Yeah, X - XII play like FF games, but not quite in the sense of those pre-PS2, but XIII does not feel or play like a FF title and it's incredibly linear.
---
My ignore list is exclusive to trolls only. I should warn you though, it's crowded and the trolls imprisoned within are mean, anti-social and well... ignored.
#17shadowysea07Posted 3/26/2013 8:29:53 PM
CKSqua posted...
Wandering__Hero posted...
I remember TWEWY being in the sales chart for AGES so i figured it was pretty successful for a new IP

It was successful in a niche kind of way. If you're referring to Japanese charts, you have to realize that game sales have become so weak that a product doesn't have to sell particularly well to make the Top 30. 15 years ago, Japanese developers rejoiced when a game sold a million copies. Nowadays, 200,000 copies are enough for them to sing of great success.

200k = big surprise hit. Bear in mind that in 2000, Vagrant Story was deemed a disappointment for selling only 300k copies.

The large Japanese publishers have been depending on western markets to keep them alive, especially in light of how expensive development has become. However, with the exception of Pokemon and Final Fantasy, Japanese RPGs have proven to be a lost cause in terms of mainstream, global expansion.

don't forget kingdom hearts. those 3 series are the most popular and sell the most currently. then there's the remaining series still around tales of, disgaea, persona, dq and fire emblem. And now that the market isn't over saturated with rpgs those series are gaining ground or in cases like tales of and fe finally allowed to gain ground.

but yeah. as for the whole numbers sold thing that's standards that each company has and combine that with dev costs and this economy and you'd understand why standards are lower now. I do agree though that most rpgs lack general appeal of pokemon which has always been a problem. there is something to be said about keeping it simple.
---
You've been taking writing tips from stephanie meyer haven't you? oh you poor thing.
Nuns? Nuns threw soap at me? Nuns think i'm a bad mother?
#18sniffyPosted 3/27/2013 8:33:53 AM
Yoichi Wada was a micomanager, always trying to dictate design and always with his hands in the developers' business. I hope the next President of SE lets the artists make the art and just sticks to just negotiating business deals for the company as a whole.

He is the reason so many of the talented Square staff either got fired, or left due to 'medical reasons'. Glad he is gone!
---
some girls are bigger than others, and some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers...