Xenoblade - not for the ADD mind.

#1Haunter12OPosted 3/28/2013 10:32:53 PM
I have a plethora of mini-quests yet to be completed, and every time I make an effort to move on with them, I'm presented with a new one, over and over again until I completely forget the one I initially sought to complete. I don't think I will ever finish this game.
#2CloudslashPosted 3/29/2013 12:37:12 AM
Most players I've talked to agree that the best way to play the game is to merely "activate" as many quests as possible, and don't bother going out of your way to actually complete them unless you're having serious trouble... because most of them will finish themselves via normal gameplay.

Although I wouldn't recommend bum rushing through the plot as if this were a typical linear JRPG either, because there's a good chance you'll end up underleveled anyways. OK granted, it's a JRPG and it is technically linear what with it still being fairly story focused and locking you out of places you aren't supposed to be in spite of the game's own massive size (although good luck finding those), but yeah you're supposed to treat it at least partly like a MMO/WRPG anyways.

Another reason I'm often at odds with this game... it's a JRPG/WRPG/MMO hybrid, and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know the philosophies don't always get along.
---
"Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality." - Tales of Symphonia 2: Dawn of the New World
#3RX0megaPosted 3/30/2013 12:42:57 AM
Just play through the story and kill everything you meet that isn't hugely above your level (so, anything above five levels above you should be avoided like the plague). I did that and was fine. I would recommend doing a set of side quests in the Fallen Arm area later in the game though as you can get a new Monado ability from it and said ability is an absolute life saver.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.
#4RygonPosted 3/30/2013 7:04:24 AM(edited)
You don't have to do the side content. Which would disappoint you more? Finishing the game with optional content undone, or finishing a lot of fetch quests but never beating the game?
---
http://backloggery.com/war_lion108
#5RygonPosted 3/30/2013 7:09:29 AM
Cloudslash posted...
Another reason I'm often at odds with this game... it's a JRPG/WRPG/MMO hybrid, and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know the philosophies don't always get along.

They did get along and made the most popular JRPG of this generation.
---
#6shadowysea07Posted 3/30/2013 7:21:39 AM
I would say being released at the end of the generation with a drought console wise had a bit to do with that.
---
You've been taking writing tips from stephanie meyer haven't you? oh you poor thing.
Nuns? Nuns threw soap at me? Nuns think i'm a bad mother?
#7RygonPosted 3/30/2013 7:44:11 AM
I'm sure you can find a logical solution as to why you are correct, the game isn't superb, and the large gaming public doesn't actually love the game.
---
#8alt_realityPosted 3/30/2013 7:50:31 AM
I too eventually became burnt out on the ridiculous amount of quests. What you should do optimally is make a run through each area twice, once at 10:00 and once at 22:00. Then, activate every exclamation point you find and then move on with the game and return if you happen to get one of those rare sidequests that involves coming back (there are a few I think...)

What I did after a while was just run straight from story objective to story objective without giving a rat's ass about which quests were in my way. If I saw them, sure, I'd activate them, but I didn't go out of my way to find them because god damn there are so many freaking sidequests in this otherwise delightful game and I was always overleveled after a certain point which took all of the fun out of it since level plays way too much of a role in the battle system.

If you have access to a cheat device, there is a code to unlock the extra skill trees that you'd normally get from sidequesting without getting even more experience from finishing those quests; it'll save you a lot of monotony.

No, I didn't conquer the postgame content/sidequests but I got more than enough enjoyment from the game and sadly I don't know if I'll ever play it again. Buuuuut it was fun while it lasted.
---
"We running out of time!" Sigurd, Typogears
#9SwiftWind11Posted 3/30/2013 10:16:19 AM
Do quests only when you need to level up a bit. BAM, problem solved. Doing all the quests as they come will not only be entirely monotonous, but will cause you to be overlevelled which will suck all of the challenge out of the game.
---
White FC: 3439-3364-9368
#10Haunter12O(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 1:24:25 PM
Rygon posted...
You don't have to do the side content. Which would disappoint you more? Finishing the game with optional content undone, or finishing a lot of fetch quests but never beating the game?

The game sort of wants you to do them (ie the monster hunt ones) in order to be able to level up and defeat bosses.

I've always been an OCD-type of RPG player (talk to everyone, get everything, get the full enjoyment out of the game) but lately it's been the complete opposite. It's making me question as to how I should approach my next RPG, or if it's even worth it.