Do you play any "social" RPGs? What's your opinion of them?

#1chocomogPosted 6/4/2013 1:19:57 PM
Do you play any "social" RPGs? - Results (59 votes)
No, I absolutely f***ing hate the idea
37.29% (22 votes)
No, I've never gotten around to trying one
32.2% (19 votes)
No, I've tried one before and I didn't like it
13.56% (8 votes)
No, but I used to play and like one
3.39% (2 votes)
Yes, on android/iphone
8.47% (5 votes)
Yes, on facebook or some other PC site
5.08% (3 votes)
This poll is now closed.
By social RPGs I mean like Blood Brothers, Fantasica, Rage of Bahamut, Deity Wars, Chocobo's Crystal Tower, Knights of the Crystals.

They tend to have heavy emphasis on collecting stuff with little or automated gameplay. They're pretty much always free to play and reward you for cooperating with fellow players, though you rarely actually have to interact with anyone else directly. Usually you log in for a few minutes every few hours to progress, rather than playing for hours at a time. Many of them have a lot of international players, mostly from South America and Southeast Asia.

A lot of "hardcore" gamers seem to regard these games as an affront to humanity, which is why I put the first option up there.

Personally I've been playing Blood Brothers for about six months, and just started Fantasica a couple weeks ago. Honestly the main draw for me is that I can play at work without it looking like I'm playing a game
---
https://sites.google.com/site/pokemontacticssrpg/home
Pokemon Tactics: The fan made Pokemon SRPG
#2SilentSerphPosted 6/4/2013 1:33:37 PM
I'm pretty indifferent to them. I have no interest in playing them but whatever floats yer boat.
#3nofxnofxPosted 6/4/2013 1:35:54 PM
I don't hate the idea but I wouldn't play one. If you enjoy that sort of thing then more power to you, but it is not what I am looking for in a game.
#4JairPosted 6/4/2013 1:44:19 PM
I don't think I've ever tried one of those, but from the description it sounds kinda dull. Especially that little or automated gameplay part. I guess it would prove a diversion when you're stuck somewhere with nothing to do.
#5SuperrpgmanPosted 6/4/2013 5:11:55 PM(edited)
First of all:

So you can play the two games that you mentioned, but not really get all that involved in it?

Sounds like more like something to pass the time with then something all that engaging.

Personally, I loathe the idea of an entire game being complete filler, and this includes games with MINOR intrinsic value.

Second of all, does this count?

Does this count?

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/signup

Why or why not?

Oh, and on a side note.

Why do you have a link for what at least appears to be the pre-alpha version of a game that hasn't been updated in almost a year?
---
Project Beat a Game a Day, along with my Daily NES Archive:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563947-a-view-to-a-kill
#6SuperrpgmanPosted 6/4/2013 4:26:01 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7SuperrpgmanPosted 6/4/2013 4:31:58 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8Arc166Posted 6/4/2013 4:44:04 PM
You can edit you know Supes.

Think I may have tried one at a friends suggestion at some point or other. I think. If I did it must not have been very good.
#9SuperrpgmanPosted 6/4/2013 5:13:48 PM
Arc166 posted...
You can edit you know Supes.

Think I may have tried one at a friends suggestion at some point or other. I think. If I did it must not have been very good.

Thanks for the reminder.
---
Project Beat a Game a Day, along with my Daily NES Archive:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563947-a-view-to-a-kill
#10chocomog(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2013 6:04:03 PM
First of all:

So you can play the two games that you mentioned, but not really get all that involved in it?

Sounds like more like something to pass the time with then something all that engaging.

Personally, I loathe the idea of an entire game being complete filler, and this includes games with MINOR intrinsic value.

Well...they generally operate like this: you have a certain pool of resources - we'll say it's called Energy in this case. Every action you take reduces your energy by one. So once you run out of energy you have to wait a couple for it to recharge, or pay money to recharge it. So you can't really play more than a few minutes every couple of hours, no matter how "involved" you get.

Even if you could play for a long time, you probably don't want to. one of the modes in Fantasica just involves pressing a single button a bunch of times until your energy runs out.

...it all sounds really stupid as I explain it, I know. But the collection factor is pretty damn addicting, and it does give me something to do when I have a few minutes of downtime. Like when I'm walking from the parking lot to my desk, or waiting in line at the store. They ARE just something to pass your time, rather than something super engaging, to answer your question.

Second of all, does this count?

Does this count?

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/signup

Why or why not?

Ah geez. It certainly has some elements of social games (waiting for time to pass to let you play again, rewards for inviting people), but i'd probably say no. It looks like it has an interesting story, and actually involves thinking - two things that social games almost by definition lack. It also sounds like you don't interact at all with other players in the game, so it kinda doesn't have the social aspect as well.

Oh, and on a side note.

Why do you have a link for what at least appears to be the pre-alpha version of a game that hasn't been updated in almost a year?

It's my personal project. I put it in my sig to get some feedback, but it obviously didn't work as you're the first person to ever comment on it in like a year. I've meant to get back into it but honestly don't have much motivation at this point. But if I take it out of my sig it's like i've given up completely, which I don't wanna do just get. I'll give it a couple months probably
---
https://sites.google.com/site/pokemontacticssrpg/home
Pokemon Tactics: The fan made Pokemon SRPG