Out of FF1(NES),Dragon Warrior 1(NES), and Ultima Exodus(NES) which one do you

#1SlimeknightPosted 6/7/2013 12:01:18 PM
rate as best?
Even though I never got that far in Ultima Exodus I think it had several advantages over the other two. From what I remember of FF1 it seemed very linear and formulaic. Although I am a big Dragon Quest fan and I never really played Ultima too much besides Exodus and Ultima Online I think NES Ultima Exodus was something special. It was more about exploration than the other two, and problem solving beyond simply going to a town and then a dungeon and so on. Also, Exodus NES had really good music. I wish it was on Virtual Console. What does everyone else think?
---
What's a more awkward title? Final Fantasy II or the Neverending Story II?
#2CreekCoPosted 6/7/2013 12:07:27 PM
Well, they are all different. One doesn't have to be the "best", per se. DQ firmly established some of my favorite troupes ("But thou must!"); FF 1 is a game I still enjoy thinking about. Lit 3!!! Without having played the game in a decade, I can draw the Hall of Giants right now. That's superior game design. I dunno many people who actually played Ultima Exodus for the NES at that time. I thought most Ultima players played that game on the PC? I wasn't rich enough for a PC, so I had to enjoy DQ and FF from the local rental store.
---
Hugh Douglas takes the Roy Hibbert Challenge and puts it down in 5 secs; when asked what his secret was, Hugh simply states "I just wanna party".
#3CloudslashPosted 6/7/2013 12:10:52 PM
Objectively FF1 is the best seeing as how it's actually relatively playable by modern standards without excessive grinding (well, as long as you have a knight) or a FAQ.

I enjoy all three of them though.
---
"This may be a virtual world, but I feel more alive here than in the real world." - Kirito, Sword Art Online
#4Gaming_Pal_TEJPosted 6/7/2013 12:23:18 PM
FF1 is the best one, it's hard without being insanely grindy like the NES DQ titles.

Never played Ultima Exodus.
---
Hooah!
#5characterizedbyPosted 6/7/2013 12:43:56 PM
Objective things are not nearly... as... predominant as you would think.

Even if most people prefer FF1 or it is the most advanced of the time, I would say almost all of the present value is in nostalgia for either game, which... isn't quite the most objective thing in the world anyway.

I don't care for either of the JRPGs. Even me, at 27, is too young for games that are that old. I never played Ultima. either
---
skr4mz lyf3
#6Judas TravellerPosted 6/7/2013 12:49:47 PM
Haven't played Ultima, but FF1 is definitely superior to DW1 in every way. The ability to make any party you want definitely gives it a huge edge, plus you can promote them later. Doesn't help that you don't even have party members in DQ1. Much better graphics, music, dungeon layouts, and monster design IMO.
#7SolasunPosted 6/7/2013 2:00:23 PM
Ultima on anything other than a PC is an abomination of bad porting and even more awkward controls.

Said as an Ultima fan that liked Ultima 8.

Of the other two? Both are archaic monstrosities now. Though I suspect that FF1 holds up slightly better.
---
"They're trees. Upside down. On floating islands.
The awesomeness is overwhelming." ~ crusader4him
#8SilentSerphPosted 6/7/2013 2:16:05 PM
I haven't played Ultima Exodus, but between FF1 and Dragon Warrior 1, FF1 wins by a mile.

Having one character in battle for a turn based RPG is ridiculous.
#9OutlawDinoPosted 6/7/2013 5:19:59 PM
FF, and it's not even close.
Fighter / Bl. Belt / W. Mage / Bl. Mage all day.
My best run was killing Chaos at level 22.
---
Yes, I'm a comic character posing on a comic book message board. How's your 4th wall holding up?
Official Deadpool of CAGN.
#10Then00bAvengerPosted 6/7/2013 9:24:53 PM
FF1 was the one that was designed the latest and obviously it shows. Not really a fair match.
---
A refusal of praise is a desire to be praised twice.