Out of FF1(NES),Dragon Warrior 1(NES), and Ultima Exodus(NES) which one do you

#31SuperrpgmanPosted 6/12/2013 3:42:11 PM(edited)
Here's what I have to say about Ultima Exodus:

I watched a let's play of the game a few years ago. from someone who had been through the game several times, knew EXACTLY what to do, and chose what he considered to be the absolute best party in the game, and yet most of it consisted of him having to constantly walk back and forth int eh same two spots over and over to ever so slowly regain his parties health just so he could maintain the absurd amount of it required to survive most of the areas in the game, alongside moving your characters at what is possibly the slowest rate I've ever seen any game force upon you in most terrains. And even in the whole 4 or 5 times in the bloody game where something actually happens, it's nothing special whatsoever. There is not a singular SPEC of intrinsic of extrinsic value to this game in the slightest!

Oh, and by the way:

My brother, who spends almost every single second of his life devoted to MST3K(and Rifftrax and etc) and games in general, and has been a gamer for over 20 years still says that he's yet to run across a worse game than Ultima Exodus. Yes, a guy who goes through about 3 games a week on average still to this day says that no other game has ever tormented him so much.

So yeah, if I were to want to torture myself with one of three of the most poorly aged games of all time, I'll go with the one that I actually liked when it was released.

Seriously man, there's people that look through rose colored glasses, and then there's people who call something like Ultima: Exodus on the NES something worth playing.

---
Project Beat a Game a Day, along with my Daily NES Archive:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563947-a-view-to-a-kill
#32CreekCoPosted 6/12/2013 3:38:46 PM
Arc166 posted...
@Amenonuhoko: I understood what you meant and I think you're pretty cool, too. I don't think the King Hippo person puts the same level of care or thought into what he was saying.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with what he posted. He seemed to put plenty of thought into what he said; he just didn't spread it across 5 different paragraphs.

The way you've just gone ''lol he didn't think enough'' is actually pretty damn rude to him. As is implying he had bad intent or that Amenonuhoko's is something ''better'' than his.

I find this board in general is pretty nasty to newcomers, actually. Not sure if you all mean to be but posts like this are just not nice at all.

Well Arc.... (Tries to think of a good way to put this) You gotta actually take the time to learn who says what and why. For instance, there's almost never anything that I'll say without reason (which, tbh, I explained in length as far as this instance is concerned). You also may not realize that Ameno and I have had a side running conversation about philosophy for months now that we'll jump into whenever the chance presents itself. (Funny example) If we were playing a RPG, Ameno would be a probably somewhere between Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral (depending on his mood) and I guess I'd probably come off as somewhere between Lawful Good and Neutral Good. We're both on the same team though so we have really good interchanges pretty often.

Also, I have no problem accepting what you're saying about me being rude... if I'm actually wrong. Let's wait a while and see. I don't feel any sympathy towards someone trying to troll another poster. I guess you also might not know that I jump in pretty quick on that kinda stuff b/c I don't tolerate that ****. AT ALL.

Maybe some more context will help. Things haven't always been so good on this board. In fact, we used to have terrible arguments between posters and user meltdowns like... weekly, if not more so. Becca used to have this weirdo devote whole threads towards her (which varied greatly in lyrical prose but they were always creepy). It was so hard to actually talk about anything meaningful that some posters went and started a private board (anyone remember the hidden board?). Well, one day it was like the light bulb lit up (everyone sparked just like on a SaGa game) and we collectively realized that if we support each other that maybe we can have nice stuff... a nice atmosphere... a nice board. This was also about the time that the general thread got started. I know that I really enjoy the general thread but I dunno if I've ever mentioned what a profound impact it had on me -- that really matters a lot to me.

You see, if we just payed attention to negativity it would not exist. There's literally nothing like it anywhere else that I can think of. A bunch of people -- many anons -- who all care about each other so much that we interact with each other because we are all on the same wavelength.

So, you look at that and then you look at someone taking a pop shot at another poster's belief system in a manner than is intended to frustrate them and is very difficult to discern, much less respond to. So then a guy like me sees that. Am I gonna stay quiet? **** that. I didn't go all in on the day but yeah... he's not gonna get of clean w/o some 'splaining to do. I wouldn't sit back and watch someone do some else like that -- much less a friend.

I'm pretty consistent though, Arc. I got some friends irl who laugh their butts off at me "keeping it real", lol. Actually, there's an active thread in particular I could link you to if you wanted a cheap laugh today at my expense, lol.
---
Hugh Douglas takes the Roy Hibbert Challenge and puts it down in 5 secs; when asked what his secret was, Hugh simply states "I just wanna party".
#33AmenonuhokoPosted 6/12/2013 3:45:11 PM
AlexMCS posted...
But i believe there is Objectivity in the Universe, and we can see it by analyzing the 3 primordial natural forces, Gravity, Magnetism and Electricity.

Hmmm, I heard somewhere that we cannot observe and measure them without affecting them on some level
*cough, cough*
Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle
*cough, cough*
If only I can remember where...
---
Winners don't lose drugs.
"Behind every great man is an amazed mother-in-law" Gallagher
#34Arc166Posted 6/12/2013 3:48:49 PM

You gotta actually take the time to learn who says what and why..

No. No I don't. I can't 'learn' why a guy who I've never seen post before posted what he did. Neither can you. I 'can' assume the worst, but that's not very nice at all.
I see absolutely nothing wrong with his post, too. The only reason I'd have to dislike his post is if he was a known troll, and even then I wouldn't, because it was a completely reasonable post.

Everything else you say is fair enough but I still see no reason to assume he posted what he did to annoy Juin. None at all.

If by 'take the time to learn who says what and why', you mean I should have picked up on the philosophical discussion thing, then my bad I guess? Although that really doesn't seem to have much bearing on you being rude to him. Which is really the only part I have an issue with.

Not a big deal, really, and I certainly don't want to keep arguing about this like that one time Dark kept picking on BlueRondo. 'Cause that wasn't fun.
#35CreekCoPosted 6/12/2013 3:57:05 PM
Judas Traveller posted...
There was absolutely nothing wrong with what he posted. He seemed to put plenty of thought into what he said; he just didn't spread it across 5 different paragraphs.

The way you've just gone ''lol he didn't think enough'' is actually pretty damn rude to him. As is implying he had bad intent or that Amenonuhoko's is something ''better'' than his.

I find this board in general is pretty nasty to newcomers, actually. Not sure if you all mean to be but posts like this are just not nice at all.

Agreed. I'm not sure why people are jumping so hard over Hippo's post, as it seems perfectly reasonable to me. I'm really sick of the term 'troll' being thrown around here so casually as well, just because someone has an unpopular opinion. I don't agree with him on DW1 being better than FF1 but he laid out his reasons.

I've seen people on this board pull out the 'objective' card in attempts to pad their argument too many times in the past. I don't want to see that again. Fortunately, the two biggest offenders no longer post, and another rarely posts. (And he's one of the few people on this board I'd actually consider a crap-stirring troll.)

Anyway, I think we're all just making a mountain out of a molehill.

This is absolutely true. However, there is a trend occurring imo of people just posting stuff/flare statements/flare questions that have no possible hope of resolution. I'm speaking more to that trend than just this statement. However, about the statement that was made... there's probably two ways of looking at it, if you're into binary thinking.

Scenario #1: I'm absolutely wrong on this. I don't have a problem with that, I guess.
Scenario #2: I'm absolutely right on this. I don't personally have a problem with this. It is, however, a much larger problem in general because it would imply one or more of the following:

- These incidents are people's alts. I don't want to explore or envision that.
- This is an isolated mild trolling attempt. Probably closest to the truth. The guy has had time to respond.
- This is part of a board invasion. There is some evidence across Gamefaqs that points to that.
- The number of bad people is, in fact, rapidly increasing faster than either the number of good people or good intentions. Implications here are obvious.
- The general mood is that it's ok to bother others without repercussion.
- There is not a time when it is ok to criticize someone who is bothering another poster unless you have attained majority consensus first. This would be, to me, the most disheartening reality.

I guess I'm trying to be as clear as I possibly can about this b/c I dunno how many more times I have to make this sort of explanation. You ever felt like you were saying something one more time because you never wanted to say it again? That's kinda how I feel about what I'm saying right now. I don't know why I feel like that but I do.
---
Hugh Douglas takes the Roy Hibbert Challenge and puts it down in 5 secs; when asked what his secret was, Hugh simply states "I just wanna party".
#36Arc166Posted 6/12/2013 4:00:02 PM
Then how about we all just drop it lol?

I'm quite happy to just go back to laughing at pictures of Villager on the new Smash Bros. board. He's like the new Falcon or something and I'm juvenile enough to lol.
#37AmenonuhokoPosted 6/12/2013 4:11:40 PM
@Superrpgman.
The only good thing that I can say about Ultima III is that at least it's not Ultima II. That was an example of programmers trying to do too much without knowing just what the Hell they wanted in the first place. I Believe II is unsolvable without help.
I at least got through III without help but it's about 60 hours of trial and error, avoiding battles in the overworlds and spinning around in dungeons to get back MP.
I would suggest looking at the NES speedrun at:
http://speeddemosarchive.com/Ultima3NES.html
just to get an idea of how idiotic you must be to be dumb enough to luck out and beat it only to realize that, if there were decent clues, you could have done it in a day.
I tried the run myself but was about 20 minutes too slow.

In regards to our discussions, I rather enjoy them too. I think the two of us have a regular Algonquin ...line-segment... table?
I think i'd usually describe myself as Chaotic Good but not too serious about it. Either way, my self-censor button is criminally disused and I like having somebody point out when I'm an ass.
---
#38Judas TravellerPosted 6/12/2013 4:12:27 PM
Honestly Creek, it seems like you're talking about a separate issue. Read Hippo's post again and then plainly lay out to me how anything he said was definitively trolling. To be honest, I've seen half the regulars here 'troll' at one point or another (Me included) when they're fed up with something, be it the perceived consensus or whatever. Nowhere did I see him try and stir up crap, change topics, personally attack anyone, or play Devil's Advocate. It seems like a completely honest opinion.

At worst I can read into his post and say he seemed annoyed at the use of the word 'objective', which is a card people always pull when they want their opinion to carry more weight. (And personally I'd be behind him 110% there.)

There may be truth to the idea that we've been flooded with some bad posters lately (I'm undecided there), but honestly this board is in MUCH better shape than it was several years back IMO. The Generals as mentioned have helped a ton.
#39AmenonuhokoPosted 6/12/2013 4:30:49 PM
Judas Traveller posted...
To be honest, I've seen half the regulars here 'troll' at one point or another (Me included) when they're fed up with something, be it the perceived consensus or whatever.

Truth in posting. Wow, what a concept.
I admit to the occasional troll post. I did it in a troll poll recently.
As I said.
A little chaos can be a great motivator.

When trolls troll, troll the trolls. Because a troll needs a troll and when we ain't got no trolls then we won't have to troll.
:)
I made that up.
---
#40AlexMCSPosted 6/12/2013 4:59:35 PM(edited)
Occasional Trolling for fun is cool.
Constant trolling is not.
The best trolling i've seen on this board recently was TEJ on that one guy topic that he beautifully derailed.
Before that it was the Tales of ChoHakkia and the Time Travel Book shenaningans.

And Heisenberg's principle is not proven, as is not the whole Science anyway, but relativism is definitely a failure. (in my opinion. Wait, what? :D).
---
PSN: AlexAMCS
" "