Which fan base is more unpleasable?

#21CrystalgatePosted 6/12/2013 11:11:29 AM
When people say that a certain fan base is impossible to please, usually the problem is that the words fan base themselves are implying something that's not true.

Imagine a series. Game A is released. Later, game B, which is drastically different from game A, is released. Then Game C, drastically different from both game A and game B, is also released. At this point, it's probably more accurate to say that the game has three fan bases rather than bunching them together into one single fan base. There's nothing unreasonable about it being impossible to please three different groups with different tastes.
#22zinformantPosted 6/12/2013 11:15:57 AM
The game A and B subfanbases probably go dormant in the days of C. That's the thing. For example, I suspect a lot of the folks disappointed with the new handheld Zelda are of the 3D fan variety. I am stoked to see it and would be appropriately considered part of the 2D fan group that has been effectively dormant since ALttP's GBA release. PH and ST are 2.5D, so I hesitate to count them.

Sure, the two can overlap, too.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#23SilentSerphPosted 6/12/2013 1:30:20 PM(edited)
Went with Final Fantasy fans, though Tales of is close.

Red Sox fans are pleaseable. Just win a world series! I don't think the fans are anti-Francona now. Any manager in any major league sport would have been let go if they let a nine game lead disappear in three weeks no matter what they did previously. It's the nature of the profession.

For Final Fantasy fans to be pleased, they'd not only need to release the perfect game, they'd have to create an age-reversing machine that takes them back to the exact age they were when FFVII came out.
#24Wandering__HeroPosted 6/12/2013 1:48:59 PM
Square would save themselves a lot of trouble if they didn't put the words Final Fantasy in games that have no resemblance to FF beyond the cameo summons
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
Official Generic Village Girl of the FE13 board
#25shadowysea07Posted 6/12/2013 2:20:13 PM
Gwendal posted...
World of Warcraft is easily the worst I've ever experienced first-hand, but I guess that's only natural when it involves so many people.

From what I've heard, the (old-school) Fallout fanbase is probably the worst around.

anything that isn't free to play I'd say isn't worth dealing with in the first place unless its something you really enjoy. Even then a crappy online userbase only makes it worse.
---
You are now dressed as the last video game character you played as.
Arogance1 posted...I'm a tetris brick lol
#26shadowysea07Posted 6/12/2013 2:37:07 PM
lets also take a moment to recognize that basically all of these are cases of loud vocal minorities and don't represent the fanbases as a whole and boils down to 100 people bs-ing on facebook and forums.
---
You are now dressed as the last video game character you played as.
Arogance1 posted...I'm a tetris brick lol
#27AlexMCSPosted 6/12/2013 3:20:57 PM
Amenonuhoko posted...
Oh wonderful, a baseball discussion on an RPG board.
You might as well be speaking Spanish or French or whatever else they speak in the little countries that call soccer "football."

Baseball is fine; most of my family and friends watch it but I just don't get it. I went to a Braves game once; I decided to drink until it became fun. About $150 worth of stadium beer later and I'm spending more time combing the stands for hot women. I still don't even know who the f*** the Braves were playing, but do remember that the group water trough in the men's room has the worst tasting water in the world.

I've always been more for football, BOGUS football, where you get to hit people. I won't watch it on tv either but I like going to the games as long as I'm not paying. I at least played that in high school. My college didn't have a team, but there was a rugby club; now that's fun.

Fixed that for you.

Off-topic:
Football is not what you think it is. That's Rugby.
It's called FOOTBALL for a reason. It's a very simple logic that some Americans fail to realize.

On-topic: Sonic fanbase.
---
PSN: AlexAMCS
" "
#28zinformantPosted 6/12/2013 4:00:51 PM
shadowysea07 posted...
lets also take a moment to recognize that basically all of these are cases of loud vocal minorities and don't represent the fanbases as a whole and boils down to 100 people bs-ing on facebook and forums.

That's true for numbering folks who don't like the 3DS region lock or censoring 'issues'. That's a huge exaggeration for general fanbase behavior, though. We have stereotypes for a reason, and the things kids out there believe, well, you'd be surprised.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#29AmenonuhokoPosted 6/12/2013 4:22:16 PM
AlexMCS posted...

Football is not what you think it is. That's Rugby.
It's called FOOTBALL for a reason. It's a very simple logic that some Americans fail to realize.

There's a difference between realizing and caring.

I like Rugby. I mentioned that up there.
Rugby is what you get when you take football and fix it.
I like the fact that Not-America fixed that for us.
I'm tired of it being the other way around.
---
Winners don't lose drugs.
"Behind every great man is an amazed mother-in-law" Gallagher
#30jfloydLunar(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2013 3:10:15 AM
Wow! Thanks guys for all the votes and comments.

I myself enjoy Final Fantasy, but I notice a lot of fans look at post VII games "disgraces to the FF name." It's a little silly if you ask me, but I suppose everyone has their preference. I don't thin there has truly been a "bad" Final Fantasy game. (I played the Three Legend games a little and I know they are actually SaGa, but they are pretty good in my opinion, as is Adventure). My favorite is IX.
I don't see where all the hate is coming from.

I see a lot of Tales fans complaining about games that are not ToS or Abyss.

Zelda fans seem to hate every new Zelda game that comes out until the next one is released, and then they love the previous one, I know Zelda is not an RPG, but felt it should be included.

TES, I don't see it to often, but the friends I have that played Oblivion seem to hate Skyrim or the ones that played Morrowind hate Oblivion.

I thought about including Suikoden, seems if it is not II, it's not good.

Dragon Quest... People seem to be stuck on the pre VIII games, I honestly never played VII but I played a little bit of the remade IV one and I think VIII is better, but IV is still good.

I was also going to put Lunar, but then... I mean we've had it hard being Lunar fans, first "new" game since EB and it's subpar.

As for the Red Sox option, I'm a Yankees fan (some are very hard to please I know), so I thought it would be a funny option.

Thanks again guys!
---
Currently playing Lunar: Dragon Song, Xenoblade Chronicles, The First Templar, FFVII, and White Knight Chronicles.