Actors who played against type... with disastrous results?

#1j_ohanleyPosted 1/28/2012 11:08:05 AM
It's always really easy to have trepidation about casting news, only to be proven wrong later. That goofy Dad from Malcolm in the Middle is taking on a serious role... that he won three consecutive Emmys for. That shrill comedienne is being hired as the Doctor's latest Companion... and she impresses many with her surprising dramatic range. And then you've got John Lithgow settling in as a villain, then becoming a sitcom buffoon, and then going back to full on psycho.

Thing is... since these people are playing against an image, they must have really impressed the casting people, the producers, the network execs if they landed their latest, very strange role. So I'm trying to think of a time that everyone took a chance and gave an unlikely major role to a well known performer, and the gamble didn't pay off?
#2Unknown NomadPosted 1/28/2012 11:17:02 AM
probably one example for me that really failed was Aasif Mandvi of The Daily Show playing Admiral Zhao from M. Night's Last Airbender, probably because Aasif pretty much acted the same as he was on The Daily Show as he was in Last Airbender
---
"Because like most teenage girls, what they care about is stupid" - Daniel Tosh
#3Heartless18Posted 1/28/2012 11:17:52 AM
Not from a TV show, but Vin Diesel did that horrible family comedy "The Pacifier". He's not that great to begin with, but it was painful trying to watch him do comedy.
---
Breaking Hearts With Every Heartbeat
#4j_ohanley(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2012 7:25:08 PM
Bump.
#5Zelos_ZensationPosted 1/29/2012 9:26:03 PM
I seriously just hated Chevy Chase in Chuck. It was...wierd.
---
Crusaders of Love <3 Member of the Awesomest private board ever
http://www.zeldawtwii.proboards.com/index.cgi Join the party!
#6MaleSlayerPosted 1/29/2012 10:25:40 PM
I don't know the performances of the following actors yielded "disastrous results", but it's always weird for me to see someone I mainly know from a sitcom (like, for example, Bob Saget, Fred Savage or John Stamos) play a serious role on something like "Law & Order".
---
Buffy: 97-03; Angel: 99-04; Firefly: 02-02; Dollhouse 09-10
Bow Before Joss Whedon - The Sci-Fi God of Television
#7SuperExcitebikePosted 1/29/2012 10:53:19 PM
I can think of many times this happened in movies, but not so much on tv.

I'm used to seeing Edward James Olmos in a heroic role, so I was pretty excited when I heard he'd be playing a villain in Dexter. I anticipated a villain on the level as Jimmy Smits or John Lithgow and EJO was completely underwhelming in the role.
---
Now watching: Chuck (S5), The Simpsons (S3)
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7273/millionares.jpg