Time Warner Road Runner vs AT&T U-Verse Internet, which is better?

#1Ryan LewisPosted 5/9/2012 7:08:36 PM
I didn't really know what board to post this on, so I figured I'd just ask here, since it's sort of cable related.

I currently have Time Warner Road Runner, but I always have a lot of problems when connecting my 360. I always get kicked offline during LIVE, even when using an Ethernet connection, it's very annoying. The customer support won't help me with this problem either, since it's not part of their job, getting my 360 connected properly, those asses.

Aside from that, my Internet service is great. When downloading torrents or from a website or something, I can get speeds up to 2 mb/s. Usually it's closer to 700kb/s-1.5 mb/s, which is still damn good. I don't have Road Runner Turbo or whatever it is, just the standard one.I always feel like those "Turbo" internet options are a scam. It seems to me they just cap your internet speeds and then charge you to get a little more, so I don't ever want to give into that.

I don't really care about the actual cable service all that much. If I can get cable service for a small additional fee (like 10 dollars more) I will get it, otherwise I will just stick with watching shows the way I normally watch them. I've never had cable in my life, and I always seem to be able to watch whatever it is I want, so don't really see the point in cable if it costs more than 10 bucks.

I know the ATT U-Verse cable service is supposed to be really neat, with the DVR that let's you control it while not at home and let's you watch on any TV. but that stuff is useless to me. I am worried about trying U-Verse since it's DSL. i've had two different DSL services in the past, and they've always had problems and has always been slow. I don't really see how it could be so fast using a phone line, even though it's Fiber optics. If it were so much better than cable, we wouldn't have cable connections.

So anyone have experience with both? I realize that depending on my area (Columbus Ohio) it will be different for everyone, but I just want to get a general opinion.
---
Time Spent watching TV shows: http://followmy.tv/u/likwidsolutions/time_wasted
Currently at 7 months, 10 days, 1 hour, 25 minutes
#2Lonestar2000Posted 5/9/2012 7:15:43 PM
ATT has caps.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#3Ryan Lewis(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2012 7:55:44 PM
Figures. Turbo my ass
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#4XechsPosted 5/10/2012 4:58:29 AM
Well at&t can have 24 Mbit/s down & 3 Mbit/s with VDSL. But it totally depends on your area, why not phone them up and ask. Considering you had problems with DSL shows maybe they don't have the right stuff in your area and their offices are probably too far from you hence you get crappy speeds. Also if you are only getting 2Mbit/s with TW cable then your area is just not developed period. I had TW back in 09 and it was already 15Mbit/s down and 3Mbit/s up for standard, and this was 3 years ago.

I have VDSL2+ ie 50 down and 20 up for $40. I love VDSL because the uploads are fantastic if I used cable my uploads would only be 3Mbit/s. VDSL has been slowly being integrated but like anything else depends on where you live. Speaking of VDSL2+ it can go up to 100 Mbits/s. It's very popular in europe, japan and south korea since 2003. While america is slowly beginning to integrate that other countries are already going FTTH (full fiber). I have 1 gigabit FTTH available in my area but it currently cost a fortune, even for 100-200 M/bits it's like $1 or 1.50 per Mbit/s But their uploads are 50-100 Mbit/s. The biggest disadvantage with DSL/VDSL is bandwidth loads (hence some companies like At&t trying to justify caps) and that it is dependent on distance.
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
#5XechsPosted 5/10/2012 5:15:53 AM(edited)
Anyway sticking with cable in your area would seem the best. I would only go for dsl if you are getting full advertised speeds because if they ever switch your Dslam to farther location it just going to get worst especially if they don't have high density of telephone exchanges (dslams) in your area.
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
#6MRW1215Posted 5/10/2012 5:55:43 AM
I have ATT DSL (not U-Verse), and I'm not completely thrilled with the speeds. Granted, it works fine for most stuff, but these days, I can't even watch a short YouTube video without it buffering every 10 or so seconds, which is very frustrating (also confusing, since stuff like Hulu and Amazon Instant Video stream just fine without any such "hiccups"). I suppose it may be partially due to the fact that I now have a few more people using my Internet via wi-fi as well, and unfortunately, one of those people refuses to stop using it when I'm trying to watch a video or something (even though I'm the one paying for the service...).

Anyway, I kinda wish I could find something better, but as far as I know, the only other real option in my area is Time Warner, and I've heard pretty inconsistent things about their Internet service from people in my area, so I'm wary of making the jump only to find out it sucks... Also, I already have Dish Network, so I'm not sure how that would work with Time Warner.
---
Formerly known as funky1
http://backloggery.com/mrw1215
#7voldothegr8Posted 5/10/2012 8:04:06 AM
I currently have Time Warner Road Runner, but I always have a lot of problems when connecting my 360. I always get kicked offline during LIVE, even when using an Ethernet connection, it's very annoying. The customer support won't help me with this problem either, since it's not part of their job, getting my 360 connected properly, those asses.

Sounds more like a router problem to me.
---
Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4GHz | HIS 6870 | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO | 8GB DDR3 | Antec EA-650 | Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | ASUS VH228H 1080p
Oda break tracker 2012- 2
#8Ryan Lewis(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2012 5:37:48 AM
voldothegr8 posted...

Sounds more like a router problem to me.

Same here, but anytime I try to mess with it I always end up exactly where I started. Oh and the router, along with the modem, is their property, so if it is a router problem, it's still their problem. But that's also why I said, Customer Support refuses to help me with the problem, because they feel that my 360 is my problem, not theirs. But I pay for the internet connection, and it should work on everything, not just my computer. Maybe I will all them and tell them to get it working on my 360 or I cancel, because the 360 is the main reason I have internet (not the truth, but gotta do something).
---
Time Spent watching TV shows: http://followmy.tv/u/likwidsolutions/time_wasted
Currently at 7 months, 10 days, 1 hour, 25 minutes
#9voldothegr8Posted 5/11/2012 10:52:11 AM
There's one sure fire way to tell, hook the 360 up directly to the modem and see if it still cuts out. If it does I'd ask for a new modem, if it doesn't ask for a new router. Cable companies are notorious for giving people s***ty routers though, so my money is on that.
---
Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4GHz | HIS 6870 | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO | 8GB DDR3 | Antec EA-650 | Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | ASUS VH228H 1080p
Oda break tracker 2012- 2