George RR Martin has lost his mind (spoiler)

#1jaderphPosted 2/8/2013 5:43:38 AM(edited)
Instead of finishing A Song of Ice and Fire, he is now also tasked to work on more shows for HBO. It seems that he has lost interest in finishing his series and is content to watch football, go to conventions and work on new shows for HBO. Good thing he has a lot of free time.

It also seems that he's trying to hard to screw over everyone else. I understand that he doesn't want a typical happily ever after ending and wrap things up nicely for the Starks but killing Robb and Catelyn just appears that he is trying too hard to not give us the cliche happy ending. Yes he did kill Joffrey and Tywin and have the Llanisters practically lose control of King's Landing to balance things out but two books after ASOS, there's still barely any progress in the overall plot.
#2bknightPosted 2/8/2013 5:46:05 AM
Most of us are too committed into the series to just drop it altogether. We all waited those many years for ADWD to come out and most thought it was sub-par.

I and many others will still buy WoW the first day it comes out hopping that it's the payoff book that was set up by the set up books. By now we're used to waiting longer and longer for the next book anyway.

Worse come to worse, it'll be a Martin/Sanderson(or some other author) collaboration because the publisher knows there is too big of a fan-base that will be willing to pay anything for a conclusion. Now I just hope I don't die before the final book comes out.
---
Yupster
#3J1MM3LPosted 2/8/2013 6:05:22 AM
What's the whole GRRM and football meme about, anyway?
---
"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."
~ Arthur C. Clarke
#4UnrivaledKoopaPosted 2/8/2013 6:20:33 AM(edited)
J1MM3L posted...
What's the whole GRRM and football meme about, anyway?

Go to http://grrm.livejournal.com

George's (not a) blog where he talks about NFL football and merchandise, pretty much nonstop.

As to the OP, you have to take ASOIAF as three really good books. Set your expectations past Storm to zero and take anything else as a bonus.
#5BlueRondoPosted 2/8/2013 9:10:29 AM(edited)
here's still barely any progress in the overall plot.

This was my chief complaint about season 2 of the show. Season 1 really gave the impression that they were building up to something big - Dany was getting her groove on in the East, something nasty was rumbling up North, and there was all sorts of chaos going down in King's Landing. A lot of stuff happened in season 2, but ultimately it just felt like shuffling characters around the map rather than bringing us any closer to the climax of the story (whatever that turns out to be). And from what I've read about the books, it pretty much stays that way for a really long time.

EDIT: Since I'm not really into the books, I ultimately wouldn't care if GRRM doesn't finish the series. That would free up the showrunners to make up their own ending without having to wait a dozen years for the books to end. And I think that would be the best for the show, because I don't think the show can last that long without losing steam (another two or three seasons at most, I would say).
#6iknoweverythingPosted 2/8/2013 9:43:28 AM

This was my chief complaint about season 2 of the show. Season 1 really gave the impression that they were building up to something big - Dany was getting her groove on in the East, something nasty was rumbling up North, and there was all sorts of chaos going down in King's Landing. A lot of stuff happened in season 2, but ultimately it just felt like shuffling characters around the map rather than bringing us any closer to the climax of the story (whatever that turns out to be). And from what I've read about the books, it pretty much stays that way for a really long time.

This season will probably change your view of that.
---
every time you argue with me, you'll be wrong. wasting the time is your own choice.
#7WstonefiPosted 2/8/2013 9:44:35 AM
BlueRondo posted...

The plot progresses more in A Storm of Swords than in the rest of the series combined.
#8CzarcasmPosted 2/8/2013 10:10:12 AM
Wstonefi posted...
BlueRondo posted...

The plot progresses more in A Storm of Swords than in the rest of the series combined.

Which isn't possible without the 'board shuffling' in season two, I'd add.
---
http://tinyurl.com/8rtl78h
#9IlluminatusCUPosted 2/8/2013 4:24:07 PM
BlueRondo posted...

EDIT: Since I'm not really into the books, I ultimately wouldn't care if GRRM doesn't finish the series. That would free up the showrunners to make up their own ending without having to wait a dozen years for the books to end. And I think that would be the best for the show, because I don't think the show can last that long without losing steam (another two or three seasons at most, I would say).

The thing about SoI&F is that major players rotate in and out all the time. A lot of plot happened in S2, but the major characters from the first season (Dany, Tyrion, Robb, Jaime, etc) are basically sitting around reacting to threats from "new" characters like Balon Greyjoy, Stannis, Renly, and the Qarth council. And the series keeps doing that - the focus of the show is not on any specific cast of characters but instead on the whole continent.
---
NFLB's #1 Buffalo Bills fan.
#10CerebornPosted 2/8/2013 6:20:41 PM
Honestly, I think it's more likely that fans will complain about the ultimate ending of the series being too happy.
---
http://www.magxone.com/uploads/2011/02/Michelle-Trachtenberg-Maxim-3.jpg