Just finished the first season of The Walking Dead.

#1slayer456Posted 7/9/2013 1:34:52 PM
(theres an actual question after all my rambling)

I know I'm a little late to this party, but I haven't had cable in like 5 years, it's either netflix or torrents for me. I've never been a big dramatic series kind of guy, I like to keep it light (30 rock, venture bros, wilfred, louie) that kind of stuff. The only dramas I ever really watched were vanilla Law and Order and House.

I have to say though, it was pretty damn good. I've never read the comics, but I really liked the 5 episode adventure game so I decided to give the source material a try. I really liked the attention to detail that would become plot points in later episodes. Like the bag of guns and ammo, or Dale's toolbag.

Anyway, how is season 2? Better? Worse? The same? 6 episodes wasn't to bad, managed to watch them all over the long holiday weekend. But 13 seems like a huge investment (for me anyway.) If it's worth it I'd definitely make the time.

Also, out of all the other big Drama series that get so much love, which would you guys/gals recommend?

Sons of Anarchy? The Wire? Breaking Bad? Mad Men? *Insert your option here*
---
100 Stories, of 100 Tons of 110% Ten-Speed Terror. Straight Out the Grease Yo, Like...Bam.
#2Dark_EpathyPosted 7/9/2013 1:53:36 PM
S2 starts off slow; those first few episodes are kind of a drag, but after that, I'd definitely say S2 gets as good as the first season, if not better. Its latter half is, in my opinion, the strongest, most consistent stretch of the show so far.

S3 isn't available yet on DVD or streaming services (except Amazon and stuff like that, I guess), but it's a lot more inconsistent. Still, if you like the first season, I think you'll like the rest of it.

As for other series, the only one of those you interested I was ever particularly interested in is Mad Men, and it's excellent. And it's commonly considered that Breaking Bad is among the best shows of television, so you can't go wrong. The Wire, too. Basically, you're set with any of those three.
---
"We are the greater good." -- Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead
#3JohnnyShred612Posted 7/9/2013 2:07:11 PM
Walking Dead keeps up about the same quality throughout -- at least, it felt that way to me given that I watched it in bursts like you are.

You'd also probably love Breaking Bad (as you mentioned liking the attention to detail and things coming back as major points in following episodes) and Dexter is fun too.
---
http://i.imgur.com/JJcIMRT.gif
#4Brett8Posted 7/9/2013 2:11:30 PM
It's all downhill from there. For other recommendations, Mad Men's great, but if you don't like dramas, I wouldn't really advise it. Go with Game of Thrones next.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/Brettyb16
#5VlayerPosted 7/9/2013 3:46:19 PM(edited)
The Walking Dead is pretty inconsistent, Season 1 is probably the best season overall.

First-half of Season 2 has a lot of plotlines that are slow and in the end feel wasted, the second-half is considerably better.

First-half of Season 3 is good, lots of potential and build-up, but the second-half fails to deliver.

I also recommend Breaking Bad, it's one of the best shows on TV and it's about to end very soon. First season is 7 episodes, and it's a really good first season. General opinion is that it gets better every season.
---
Now the story of a family whose future was abruptly cancelled, and the one fan who had no desire, but for it to keep going. It's S4 of Arrested Development!
#6milkmanv1Posted 7/9/2013 4:44:52 PM
Oh man, if you haven't seen The Wire and Breaking Bad, you're missing out.
---
You're going to like the way you look.
I guarantee it.
#7slayer456(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 4:56:05 PM
Damnit, I forgot Game of Thrones. Sweet Jesus I literally do not have enough time for all these shows.
---
100 Stories, of 100 Tons of 110% Ten-Speed Terror. Straight Out the Grease Yo, Like...Bam.
#8FZGPosted 7/10/2013 2:38:42 AM
There are so many great shows out there. Some are easier to get into than others, for example, The Wire can be quite tough to get into, you need to watch like half the season before you start to "get" it, and is also quite heavy throughout the whole thing. Definitely watch it, but I recommend watching other dramas first (at least to make you appreciate how ****ing great the Wire is once you see it). Mad Men is also great, but it's pretty much all talking. You have to appreciate the dialogue and the characters, because there's not much story to talk about. Anyway, here are some suggestions for dramas:

Lost (Lots of mystery and crazy twists. A great show to get into more serialized drama, and you are pretty much instantly hooked)
Breaking Bad (It might take a few episodes to get into, watch the first season at least, because when it gets badass, it's REALLY badass)
Game of Thrones (The production values are insane, and it appeals to many for different reasons. Some watch it for the action and the twists, some just want the fantastic dialogue and the complex characters)
Dexter (It's a show about a serial killer who kills other serial killers. It's on its last season at the moment. The first four seasons are excellent)

I haven't seen Sons of Anarchy, but I imagine that it would be a good show to watch.
---
I don't have a signature right now.
#9metallica1fanPosted 7/10/2013 7:58:29 AM
milkmanv1 posted...
Oh man, if you haven't seen The Wire and Breaking Bad, you're missing out.

This...

slayer456 posted...
Damnit, I forgot Game of Thrones. Sweet Jesus I literally do not have enough time for all these shows.

This, too...
---
"[I] [Am] [Th]e [O]ne [W]ho [K]nocks."
- [He]isenberg
#10OdenpethPosted 7/10/2013 8:35:19 AM
Yes, Breaking Bad is a must watch. I'd recommend maybe even skipping the rest of The Walking Dead and getting right into that show. But still, if you've watched the first season of TWD, you should eventually finish it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZFEnzHn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uZCcvgA.jpg