Prometheus - 80% at Rotten Tomatoes and dropping

#31SadPanda07Posted 6/3/2012 10:16:43 AM
The percentage system on RT seems broken.

The percentage system on RT works exactly as it's intended to. People just misinterpret its meaning.

There have only been a few occasions where I liked a movie with a really low rating and disliked a movie with a really high rating. If you tend to disagree with professional critics, then Rotten Tomatoes is not right for you.
---
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/SadPanda88/geppettoqh4.jpg
#32A7xdPosted 6/3/2012 10:24:35 AM
The percentage system on RT seems broken.

The percentage system on RT works exactly as it's intended to. People just misinterpret its meaning.

There have only been a few occasions where I liked a movie with a really low rating and disliked a movie with a really high rating. If you tend to disagree with professional critics, then Rotten Tomatoes is not right for you.

How does that make sense anyway? There are professional critics that have said Phantom Menace was absolutely perfect, and I hate that movie. The only part that I've really watched again was the lightsaber battle at the end, and even that was pretty meh. Critics are not the ultimate authority on cinema and certainly they can be stupid too. I won't let someone I don't even know decide if I'll like a movie or not.
#33SadPanda07Posted 6/3/2012 11:21:53 AM
How does that make sense anyway? There are professional critics that have said Phantom Menace was absolutely perfect, and I hate that movie. The only part that I've really watched again was the lightsaber battle at the end, and even that was pretty meh. Critics are not the ultimate authority on cinema and certainly they can be stupid too. I won't let someone I don't even know decide if I'll like a movie or not.

Wow, this was quite the unwarranted response. I never said that critics were the ultimate authority on cinema or that you should let them decide if you like a movie or not. In fact, I stated that has not been the case for me on more than one occasion. What I was saying earlier was that the Tomatometer is simply the percentage of critics that reviewed the movie positively. How positively? Doesn't matter. Go to Metacritic for that.

The point is not to let them decide if you'll like the movie or not. If you are on the fence about the movie, Rotten Tomatoes is a good way to find out concisely what critics think of it in order to aid in your decision. If you just don't like critics or don't care about what they think, then RT isn't for you. Period.
---
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/SadPanda88/geppettoqh4.jpg
#34Kirborg 0Posted 6/3/2012 2:24:24 PM
With a metacritic score of 62 and a rottentomatoes average of 6.8 that's enough to indicate that this movie is flawed in more than one way. That doesn't mean it's not enjoyable of course. Any movie buff would do well actually reading the interviews and listening to what the problems seem to be before making a definite judgment about whether to see it or not. Personally, I don't like Lindelof (and Lost) very much so giving that the plot seems to be a major shortcoming I will skip this one. It's a shame though, it seemed to have a lot of potential.
---
sigga
#35EdgarAllanTroIlPosted 6/3/2012 2:52:58 PM
Who cares? Avatar got 83% on Rotten Tomatoes and it was easily one of the most derivative, overhyped, and boring movies I have seen in years. One of the only movies that led me to seriously consider walking out on. That really says a lot because that's something I seldom do.
---
Stealing IP addresses since 2011.
#36EvilMonkeyPosted 6/3/2012 3:53:09 PM
Blade Runner has a worse rating than Juno on RT.

Let that sink in.
---
"Our history now descends from a kingdom of gold to one of iron and rust." -Cassius Dio
#37mkhomeroPosted 6/3/2012 4:14:50 PM
I personally don't see all the ruckus with Prometheus right now at 80%. For one, that may change, for better or worse, thought I'm fine with that number. To get more to my point, Rotten Tomatoes should be just one of many resources people use whether to watch a movie at all. We all rely on one or multiple sources: peers, movie critics we're fond of, relatives, and more to gauge whether or not we'll see a movie. At the end of the day, you'll see it or you won't for your own reasons.

I for one have plans to see the movie regardless of it's rotten tomatoes score and really regardless of any person's opinion, unless the movie is some abomination like Battlefield Earth. I'm hoping for some good science fiction over the summer in the theater and want to continue supporting Ridley Scott's work if Prometheus is on par, or succeeds past movies of his like Kingdom of Heaven, Gladiator, Alien and Blade Runner.
---
"The man of tomorrow is forged by the battles he faces today".
-Lex Luthor, Smallville
#38JedibaracudaPosted 6/3/2012 4:54:31 PM
Inception has an 86% on RT and that was a mind blowing sci-fi that everyone was talking about. 80% means 8 out of 10 critics like it...and when you have a film that is as daring as Prometheus is looking to be, that's a pretty good sign.
#39GroundJordanPosted 6/3/2012 5:00:52 PM
like liu kang said in the original mortal kombat movie

"Every man is responsible for his own destiny, Shang Tsung killed by brother!"

I will decide if this movie gets an B, 75%, C or 100
---
"I do on the ground what Jordan did in the air"-Me
http://www.cobworldorder.com/
#40Kirborg 0Posted 6/4/2012 4:21:31 AM
Jedibaracuda posted...
Inception has an 86% on RT and that was a mind blowing sci-fi that everyone was talking about. 80% means 8 out of 10 critics like it...and when you have a film that is as daring as Prometheus is looking to be, that's a pretty good sign.

inception had an average rating of 8/10. Prometheus however is stuck at 6.9/10 which is a good point lower. "rotten" or "fresh" meter alone is hardly a good indicator to determine the worth of a movie.
---
sigga