The 3D in Prometheus is distracting and I recommend the 2D version. No spoilers.

#1GrimeyazzPosted 6/9/2012 11:14:33 AM
[Fixed]

3D is awesome is certain circumstances. Jackass 3D was terrific, as was Avatar. The 3D in Prometheus is really well done but it's ultimately distracting. The affect works when the film in question is pretty straightforward. In this instance though, with a film that requires a bit more attention be paid, it just doesn't fit.

I found myself very aware of the affect instead of being immersed into the film which is no good for a sci fi suspense thriller - especially one where the plot isn't spelled out for the viewer.

I'm not knocking the movie - enjoyed the s--- out of it, we so rarely get well made sci fi these days and I would love to say the 3D added to the film but that wasn't the case, at least for me.

I'd recommend the 2D experience. I just walked out of it and the shots are still beautiful and well done to the point there already is enough depth in the cinematography, that the 3D was the opposite of needed. I was definitely able to sink into the film more this go around.

That's my unbiased, honest opinion. I have no issue with 3D, it just doesn't vibe well with this film. And ends up detracting from the experience.
---
Hiding like thieves in the night from life.
#2ZemataPosted 6/9/2012 11:20:03 AM
I thought it was incredible. One of my favorite small details was the HUD inside the helmets. The display was right in your face while the view though the window was further out.

Also DEM 3D SPACE MAP SCENES!!! HOW COULD YOU NOT ENJOY THOSE???
---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zemata/ = My Lego Things.
soundcloud.com/zemata = My music things.
#3Grimeyazz(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2012 3:22:43 PM
Bump
---
Hiding like thieves in the night from life.
#4Just_The_TipPosted 6/9/2012 3:32:46 PM
Ha, I was just asking about this in another topic. I think I'll pony up the extra cash and catch it in 3D tonight since it was shot in 3D. Can't wait!
---
Currently Playing: Dragon Age: Origins, Outland, Minecraft
#5SunburstPosted 6/9/2012 3:34:47 PM
I thought is was the best 3D film I've seen so far.
---
There can be only one.
#6ffhc2008Posted 6/9/2012 4:40:38 PM
I REALLY disagree with TC and I generally think 3D is terrible. The 3D in a superior movie like The Avengers was dreadful, but here it was just as good or better as Avatar's. IMAX 3D or no see.
---
Me: www.twitter.com/tvisgreat
Why aren't you watching Raising Hope?
#7MantisoPosted 6/9/2012 6:07:06 PM
I completely forgot about the 3D and it didn't even register after the first 30-40 minutes. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Was I just immersed? Or is 3D a worthless, superficial addition that goes unnoticed?
You decide
---
"3rd time watching you're thinking, how does he get his jumper on?" - Karl Pilkington on The Elephant Man
PSN ID: SolidKev
#8KungFuTomatoPosted 6/9/2012 6:10:06 PM
TC posted...
[Fixed]
Jackass 3D was terrific

XD
---
KFT | Champion among mortals
Karate chopping civilians since '03
#9Orange ClockworkPosted 6/9/2012 7:13:16 PM
Mantiso posted...
I completely forgot about the 3D and it didn't even register after the first 30-40 minutes. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Was I just immersed? Or is 3D a worthless, superficial addition that goes unnoticed?
You decide

Fine. I decide 3D isn't worthless.
---
If you build a man a fire, he is warm for the rest of the night.
If you set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.
#10DougFunnieePosted 6/10/2012 2:04:07 AM
Had I known that it was shot in 3D, I would've seen it in 3D.
---
oh yeah?