Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter differs too much from the book...

#1XtaclesPosted 6/22/2012 7:43:54 PM
Anyone else confused with how the same guy can change so much between the book and the movie? I mean it was perfectly fine to begin with :-/

I could understand a little differentiation, but come on that was a lot more than I expected. It was still okay I guess, but it definitely made me enjoy it less.
#2FantomRellPosted 6/22/2012 7:51:22 PM
is it actually a reasonable change?

I mean, the Scott Pilgrim movie was pretty radically different from the source material, both in theme and in actual plot, but it worked out better as a movie because of it.

I guess what I'm asking is, does it sacrifice faithfulness for the sake of coherency?
---
-Rell
#3Xtacles(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2012 7:57:39 PM
The book was far more coherent in my opinion. It sets up the vampire that kills his mother to be bigger than he was in the book and he isn't the first vampire he kills. Also it creates a completely new african american childhood friend of Lincoln's that is probably featured in the film more than anyone else other than Lincoln and Henry, which having this new character changes why he goes to New Orleans. Also the horse scene (if you watch it you'll definitely know what I'm talking about) and the final train battle scene weren't in the book and in my opinion not needed at all. The ending changed a bit as well.

I can understand slightly altering some things or leaving parts out, but after reading the author was writing the screenplay I figured it would be fairly faithful.
#4GraybesPosted 6/22/2012 7:59:34 PM
Xtacles posted...
The book was far more coherent in my opinion. It sets up the vampire that kills his mother to be bigger than he was in the book and he isn't the first vampire he kills.

The vampire that kills his mother wasn't the first one he kills in the movie
---
Responding to trolls since 2003.
#5Xtacles(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2012 8:00:26 PM
That's what I meant. It was the first one in the book.
#6GraybesPosted 6/22/2012 8:01:24 PM
Ah ok I misunderstood! So the whole horse scene and train scene weren't in the book? How did the book end then? Because the whole train thing was very important in the movie.
---
#7Xtacles(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2012 8:17:49 PM
Book spoilers......

Signing the Emancipation Proclamation allows the slaves to fight back against the vampires and also drains their food sources and kinda starves them out. Which ends up allowing the North to win the war. Booth ends up being a vampire who believes the war isn't completely over. He hatches a plan to assassinate Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant (who was to accompany him), but Grant ends up cancelling. He also had 2 men going to kill the secretary of State and the Vice President, but everything falls through except the Lincoln assassination. Henry visits Lincoln on his deathbed and after he dies it skips ahead to Martin Luther King Jr's "I have a dream" speech. Here you learn Henry has used his powers to turn Lincoln into a vampire, believing that "some men are just too interesting to die
#8GraybesPosted 6/22/2012 8:20:41 PM
Oh wow...See that last part is something that I was hoping they WOULD do in the movie as I was watching the ending scenes. It would have been so cool if the last scene would have been them doing what you just described they did in the book.

Did you stay to the end of the credits? Is there any chance they added that in at the end?
---
#9Xtacles(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2012 8:22:25 PM
Actually, no I left. I didn't expect anything to be at the end. Was there actually something there?
#10GraybesPosted 6/22/2012 8:29:07 PM
Xtacles posted...
Actually, no I left. I didn't expect anything to be at the end. Was there actually something there?

Nah I left too. But I remember saying to my girlfriend how it would have been awesome if either the movie ended with Henry turning Abe into a vampire to continue to live (since this act was said to be possible with Henry's offer to bring Abe's son back) or if they showed something like that at the end of the credits
---