What DIDN'T You Like About Amazing Spiderman? *Spoilers*

#1Master368Posted 7/3/2012 1:20:55 PM
I liked the film as a movie...but didn't really like it as a Spiderman film.

Uncle Ben never says his famous line if I recall correctly...the parents thing needed to go...they needed to boost the audio in that car jacking scene...waaaaaaaaaaaaay to liberal with removing the mask...I knew the cap was gonna die after he found out who Spiderman was.

Some scenes went by way too quick, or should have been deleted scenes...which makes me wonder what deleted scenes there are.

Post credits = wh..at?

Other than this, CGI was awesome.
---
Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, I'll collapse your trachea
#2Robot_SoopaPosted 7/3/2012 1:36:40 PM
Master368 posted...

Uncle Ben never says his famous line if I recall correctly

"Your father once told me if you have the ability to help someone, it is your moral obligation to do it." Something along those lines. Basically a less hamfisted way of including the lesson and in a way that feels and sounds more natural.

Great movie though. Had no real complaints and pretty much improved upon everything everyone asked for. I've always found the mask complaints dumb though.

Addressed it in this post:

Robot_Soopa posted...
I've NEVER understood this complaint. It's easier to relate to the character onscreen when you can see their emotion and facial expressions. There's also the fact that in most of these instances Peter is talking to himself or looking at things. It's difficult to show a wide range of emotions when you don't have Peter's comic ability of talking with his eye holes. Add to that the fact that Peter is usually alone when he takes it off and of course it makes sense. It gives him a breather and it's easier to look around and investigate.
#3pycho316Posted 7/3/2012 8:53:15 PM
yea, let me say overall i enjoyed the film a lot and felt it did more things right than wrong, with that having been said:

- too much maskless action, it's a SECRET identity
- never even mentioned his spider sense that i can recall, plus spidey took some hits he shouldn't have that his sense should've warned him about
- overall i felt like the movie made spidey feel completely outmatched/overpowered by lizard. it should've been more even
- no j.j. i assume this will be corrected in a future movie
- i like the organic webbing change made in the original trilogy and was disappointed that they went back to webshooters for this one
- overall i felt like lizard was a pretty boring villian (not to mention i'm getting kinda tired of every spidey villian being a scientist who turns himself into some kind of monster)
- the post credit scene was kind of weak (didn't offer nearly enough info to give anyone an idea of who it might be)
- the mystery of peter's parents didn't really go anywhere. i'll retract this one if it's followed up in future films, which i assume it's going to be.
---
Hmm, Two Face wanted revenge, which is best served cold...MR FREEZE IS IN THE NEXT MOVIE! - Mrunnels
#4HootieHooPosted 7/3/2012 8:58:32 PM
Master368 posted...
Uncle Ben never says his famous line

That's because it was never Uncle Ben's line. Read Amazing Fantasy #15 (first appearance and origin of Spider-Man). Uncle Ben never said the words "With great power comes great responsibility." It was actually in a narration box.
---
XBL Gamertag: Squirrel Zero
FFXIV: Amari Stardancer, Excalibur
#5metraloPosted 7/3/2012 9:04:46 PM
Honestly, nothing really.

If I did act like I had problems with it, I'd be nitpicking, because I can't think of any off of the top of my head that truly bothered me.
---
Minnesota Vikings Minnesota Wild Alaska Aces
http://i.imgur.com/xoJch.jpg
#6tearsofragePosted 7/3/2012 9:12:49 PM
metralo posted...
Honestly, nothing really.

If I did act like I had problems with it, I'd be nitpicking, because I can't think of any off of the top of my head that truly bothered me.

This. The only thing that actually bothered me was that it's not technically part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but that has little to do with the movie itself. Plus, if a miracle happens and Sony and Marvel/Disney strike a deal, there's nothing in the movie that contradicts the MCU.
---
"Oh look - a dumb idea just found a friend!"
- Emerson Cod
#7The Owner of FF9Posted 7/3/2012 9:30:00 PM
Oh, so many things. I'm still not exactly sure what the movie was about other than Spider-Man fighting a big lizard monster; there were no major themes or character arcs. Among the POTENTIAL things they could have focused on (minor spoilers) ...

- The parents' secret subplot. The ads made it out to be that this was what the movie was going to be about. It was not. It was stupid that they chose to open the film that way and never address it in any way besides an extremely lame post-credits scene. Again, ALL of the advertising made it seem like this was going to be the focus of the film, and the thing that differentiated it from Raimi's films.

- The chase for Uncle Ben's murderer. This was quickly dropped halfway through the movie. I thought this could have been a nice deviation from the comics and the previous movies that would have made this unique. Instead of being Spider-Man the wrestler, he becomes Spider-Man the vengeful vigilante, running afoul of the cops and their carjacking sting operation, being chased by both the carjacker organization and the police with the climax being he catches the Ben's murderer, realizes revenge to wrong and decides to help others. Or something along those lines. Instead it was just completely forgotten about once the Lizard shows up; the last time it's mentioned is at the Stacy dinner table and that's it. Then Stacy only comes off as an ass when a giant lizard-man is running around and all he wants is "that Spider-Man off the streets." The end result is Uncle Ben's words are pretty much lost on the audience. I know they didn't want to retread familiar ground, but this is what makes Spider-Man who he is. Which leads me to my next point ...

- The Lizard. I wish films would stop shoehorning supervillains in these films because they feel obligated to do it. Even after Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, filmmakers seem to think they still have to play by Tim Burton's rules; that is, having an obligatory villain origin story develop right alongside the hero. If you're going to put in a supervillain, have the film either be about the villain's story completely or have him drive the plot. Connors is just like Osborn and Octavius from the previous films in that they don't really do anything throughout the first half and their origins basically amount to "lab accident changed him and oh he went crazy too." The Lizard might have been an effective way to prove Peter's point to Capt. Stacy that Spider-Man can help the police with things they can't do, but that should have been it. Instead the film bounces back and forth between him, and scenes between Peter and Gwen ...

- which is another thing that the film could have been about. It's too bad that the relationship between the characters was another thing that was just shoehorned into the movie because the actors portraying them were great together. The romance subplot was just so brief and underdeveloped that it just wasn't convincing.

TL;DR: The movie couldn't choose what it wanted to be about. It crams so many different subplots into little more than two hours that it doesn't have enough time to effectively develop any of them.
---
Operation Rainfall
Xenoblade Chronicles - released The Last Story - Q3 2012 Pandora's Tower - TBA?
#8NintendologicalPosted 7/3/2012 9:31:58 PM
pycho316 posted...

- too much maskless action, it's a SECRET identity
- never even mentioned his spider sense that i can recall, plus spidey took some hits he shouldn't have that his sense should've warned him about
- overall i felt like the movie made spidey feel completely outmatched/overpowered by lizard. it should've been more even
- i like the organic webbing change made in the original trilogy and was disappointed that they went back to webshooters for this one

1) His identity was discovered by Doc Conners long before he was unmasked by him. Also, Spidey was tased by a bolt round and unconcious when unmasked. How many times was Peter unmasked or had his identity discovered in the Raimi trilogy? Other than the Sandman, every villain in that film knew who Spider-Man really was.

2) You see his spider sense in multiple scenes. First, when he catches the fly in front of aunt May, and again when he wakes up and everything was triggering his sense, including he wind at his sindow and a spider in his room. I am all for clear communication as opposed to subtly and hints, but I don't think the film could have made it more clear unless Peter actually said "my spider sense is tingling," which just wouldn't translate well into a live action film.

3) Nearly every major rogue in Spidey's rogues gallery is physically more powerful than he is. His includes the Lizard. Go read Amazing Spider-Man #6 (Lizard's first appearance). Spider-Man is nearly killed by the Lizard and is unable to physically match him. Lizard is at a minimum, twice as strong as Spider-Man. Spidey wins most fights with his intelligence, not his powers.

4) The web shooters are one of the ways in which Peter's genius actually shines. He is a true scientist and a genius. This is never really conveyed in the Raimi films save for passing conversations that Peter has with Osborn and Octavius.
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#9shadow961Posted 7/3/2012 10:07:37 PM
movie was fine but the fights werent that good and the running around with no mask was just as bad as the trailers made it look.
#10rockusPosted 7/3/2012 10:37:18 PM
Master368 posted...

Uncle Ben never says his famous line if I recall correctly...the parents thing needed to go...they needed to boost the audio in that car jacking scene...waaaaaaaaaaaaay to liberal with removing the mask...I knew the cap was gonna die after he found out who Spiderman was.

Some scenes went by way too quick, or should have been deleted scenes...which makes me wonder what deleted scenes there are.

Post credits = wh..at?

Other than this, CGI was awesome.

There was a post credits scene? I didn't stay. If so spoil it for me.
---
http://thetramp.dvdaf.com/