How should I see The Hobbit (3-D, HFR, or regular)

#11chrono01Posted 12/18/2012 2:12:13 PM
From what I've been reading, the difference in quality between HFR and 24FPS is massive. Yes, a lot of people have issues with it, at least initially, since your brain is generally trained to look for 24FPS in movies so everything looks to be going at a quicker pace in 48FPS simply because you're essentially absorbing two-times the information. However, when you "adjust" to it the clarity of the scenes and the smoothness of the action is supposedly pretty incredible. It's so well-defined it can actually make some scenes look worse [for example, the set-pieces/CGI are easier to spot].

I haven't seen it in HFR yet [only IMAX 3D, which I loved], but I'll be going tomorrow [I just purchased my tickets]. I'll post my experience here after I do.
---
"T**s are life, ass is hometown." - Kenichiro Takaki [Senran Kagura producer]
#12redalert62386Posted 12/18/2012 2:55:42 PM
The difference is massive. But, for my money, not for the better. It works for some parts of the movie, but not most. Just my opinion, of course.
---
"As a man in a relationship, you can either be right, or you can be happy."
#13BudWisenheimerPosted 12/18/2012 3:29:27 PM
redalert62386 posted...
The difference is massive. But, for my money, not for the better. It works for some parts of the movie, but not most. Just my opinion, of course.

Agreed. I lasted 20 minutes before I swapped to a 24fps auditorium. The effect is amazing. But it doesn't do this movie any favors. Better suited with a different directing style and/or a different genre like documentaries and sports films.

In this epic drama ... 48fps makes all of Peter Jackson's thoughtful and subtle camera moves appear to be the work of an excited student film-maker with his first video camera. And the actors with the most pronounced mannerisms and gestures appear cartoony and sped up.

#14JedibaracudaPosted 12/18/2012 4:05:33 PM
I didn't understand why PJ was pushing this format until I actually saw it. Now I don't know if I can go back to watching a 3D movie in 24fps.
---
Talk is cheap...because supply exceeds demand.
#15chrono01Posted 12/19/2012 3:39:07 PM
Well I just got back from my 3D HFR showing [second time seeing it, first time in IMAX 3D] and I can honestly say I preferred the 48FPS. In some areas it definitely made the CGI look more noticeable [I don't know if it's because of the super-smooth motion], but for most of it, things just looked...better. The 3D absolutely "popped" more, and while it did look like the movie was being played at 2x speed [at least initially], my eyes got used to it.

I really do hope The Hobbit Part 2/3 are shot in 48FPS. I think it's one of those things that takes a while to become mainstream, but I really hope it does. To me, especially after a few tweaks here and there, it's where movies should advance to.
---
"T**s are life, ass is hometown." - Kenichiro Takaki [Senran Kagura producer]