"SiliconAngle" predicts the box-office bombs of 2014

#1DragonGPosted 1/7/2014 11:14:54 PM
http://siliconangle.com/blog/2014/01/06/besides-michael-bay-at-ces2014-here-are-the-biggest-box-office-bombs-of-2014-the-vod-apocalypse/

TL;DR - Godzilla, Guardians of the Galaxy, Robocop

Only one I can agree with is Robocop, IMO.
---
Man running in front of car get TIRED. Man running behind car get EXHAUSTED.
PSN Tag: StudBoi69
#2Slave 1Posted 1/7/2014 11:29:55 PM
I think Godzilla will do Pacific Rim-numbers. GotG will be a surprise hit IMO. Robocop will Roboflop.
---
Boise State Broncos
3DS: 1676-3714-2798
#3Oliver_OliverPosted 1/7/2014 11:55:10 PM(edited)
I'm going to have to go with Robocop as well in regards to bombing.
Here's the thing: I think the new Robocop will be a MUCH better film than all the Robocop sequels. It might not be as good as the original Robocop, but the new Robocop will be better than Robocop 2 and a hell of a lot better than Robocop 3 and Robocop 4,5 and 6 (seriously, there was a Robocop 4, 5, and 6, direct to video).

Plus, the new Robocop has a LOT of different things that set it apart from the original, so the new Robocop will feel like a semi-sequel (despite being a complete reboot) and overall, I think it will be a fun film to watch. Once again, it won't beat the original film in quality, but it will be better than the sequels.

However, I think it will bomb hard for two reasons:

1) It's being released February 7th. Valentines is in the air and come February 14th, most couples are going to go see the animated Lego movie (which comes out in time for Valentines day). NOT Robocop.

2) It has a $120,000,000 budget. Very FEW films that are released in early February (which is a bad period) make an incredible amount of money due to bad weather which keeps many people inside and Valentines day (which favors certain genres of film over others. Sci-fi action movies typically isn't one of those genres most couples will see during the Valentines day period).If it's lucky, it might make it's budget back with a very tiny profit, but that's if they are lucky.

If the film were released in March, I think it would stand a very good chance at making money. But being released in early February? Whoever decided that was a good time to release the new Robocop should be fired.

So yeah, I think the new Robocop is going to bomb (despite, most likely being a LOT better than any of the Robocop sequels and being a fun film to watch).

EDIT : I just read the article and they are saying that the release date is now February 14th on VALENTINES DAY ?!?!? They originally moved it to February 7th. Instead of moving it to March (where it would stand a chance) they moved it to VALENTINES DAY?!?!?
Who made that decision?!?
---
Confidence? It's nothing but an illusion.
#4Oliver_OliverPosted 1/7/2014 11:59:54 PM
On a side note, while I definitely think the new Robocop will bomb, I do NOT think Guardians of the Galaxy will bomb. If marketed correctly (which I feel Marvel will pull off in a great way) people are going to want to see it.
---
Confidence? It's nothing but an illusion.
#5nintendofrogPosted 1/8/2014 12:27:36 AM
Slave 1 posted...
I think Godzilla will do Pacific Rim-numbers. GotG will be a surprise hit IMO. Robocop will Roboflop.

I agree with these things
---
http://www.last.fm/user/Nintendofrog
http://i.imgur.com/fDTmRg6.gif
#6DragonG(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2014 12:39:11 AM(edited)
On the flip-side, I predict that "Divergent", "Jupiter Ascending", and "Exodus" to be the big flops of 2014. "Divergent" is trying way too hard to be the next "The Hunger Games", when it looks obvious it doesn't have the production values or talent to measure up to "The Hunger Games". "Jupiter Ascending", just looks too "out-there" for the general public to stomach, regardless of its actual quality. "Exodus" comes from Ridley Scott, who hasn't made anything great in so many years, plus it has the uphill battle of having to establish its foothold, coming after another Biblical epic ("Noah").

Hell, I can argue that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 will end up under-performing, even though it won't outright bomb. The overall reception has been merely decent to meh, and so far the marketing has failed to generate that mega-hype that accompanies any sequels.

---
Man running in front of car get TIRED. Man running behind car get EXHAUSTED.
PSN Tag: StudBoi69
#7warpzone8Posted 1/8/2014 12:52:16 AM
no mention of Michael Bay's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It'll have a huge budget, and there's so much negative talk about it.

And TMNT releases 1 week after Guardians of the Galaxy. I imagine GotG will have a slower first week, but will be surprisingly good, then next week people telling friends to watch GotG instead of Michael Bay TMNT trash.

---
#8Santo3485Posted 1/8/2014 1:14:38 AM
I agree with both Godzilla and Robocop. GotG could go either way imo.
---
It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma
#9GFqsGangsterPosted 1/8/2014 1:37:41 AM
Anyone thinking that Godzilla actually has a chance of bombing will be in for the surprise of their year.
---
"everyone's making awful games," - Keiji Inafune (2010 Tokyo Game Show)
#10zachflashPosted 1/8/2014 2:13:02 AM
I was really disappointed by the ending in Alligient, which has actually made me look forward less to the Divergent movie. As said earlier, even the production values in the movie itself don't look so well if we are judging it on the trailer.
---
Philippians 4:13- "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."