What do you think of Con Air

#21LiqiudusSnakePosted 8/24/2013 1:17:07 AM
I love how you guys are here, what snobs some of you are. This is in every single scene a Michael Bay style movie all over the place, every single second of it. Yet everyone here (including me ) loves it. Yet if it was a Michael Bay movie (all it would take is his name on it mind you.) You would hate it and constantly sing that it was terrible. Wow people, wow. But I like most Michael Bay movies so whatever.
---
When you see me quote someone with no other text, that's when your topic wasn't even good enough to warrant me using my keyboard.
#22Sylar_LivesPosted 8/24/2013 5:06:09 PM
LiqiudusSnake posted...
I love how you guys are here, what snobs some of you are. This is in every single scene a Michael Bay style movie all over the place, every single second of it. Yet everyone here (including me ) loves it. Yet if it was a Michael Bay movie (all it would take is his name on it mind you.) You would hate it and constantly sing that it was terrible. Wow people, wow. But I like most Michael Bay movies so whatever.

False. There are two key differences between this movie and crap made by Bay: memorable characters played tongue in cheek by their respective actors and cheesy one liners that are entertaining rather than cringe worthy.
---
Last movies I've seen- Kick-Ass 2 (8/10), The Wolverine (7/10), The Game (7/10), Fear (8/10), Friday the 13th Pt 3 (7/10), Looper (6/10), Dredd (9/10)
#23milkmanv1Posted 8/24/2013 5:32:35 PM(edited)
There IS a movie like this by Michael Bay that we also love along with Con Air, a movie that, like Con Air, is filled with interesting characters, a solid story, excellent action, funny humor that doesn't rely on Bay's crass weed-and-d***-and-fart-jokes that only 12-year-olds would laugh at, that doesn't insult the intelligence, and a terrific cast that gets the best out of its script. The general consensus is that it's his best movie too, and he would have a better reputation if he made more movies like it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rock_(film)

And if you can't see why The Rock works and pretty much the rest of Michael Bay's stuff doesn't, then there's no hope for you.

---
You're going to like the way you look.
I guarantee it.
#24JackBurton85Posted 8/24/2013 7:46:10 PM
LiqiudusSnake posted...

The difference is all the dumb stuff in Con Air is fun, for the most part anyways(could have gone without the tranny). You can do a dumb, mindless action flick and still have it "work", still make it a lot of fun.

Michael Bays stuff, save for maybe The Rock, is insultingly pisspoor. It's unbearably irritating. There's little to nothing fun about it. It's a lot like your post in this thread, completely worthless.
#25CreekCoPosted 8/25/2013 5:34:33 AM
Con Air.... Ya know, I don't think I'd call it a post modern take on anything as much as just an awesome homage to senselessly awesome 80s action flicks. I've even had whole conversations with people about the sandals that the federal agent character wears. The amount of time and detail spent into details for an unapologetically actioner made it really great. Watching Con Air was like watching a big budget Skin-a-max Late Night flick that someone accidentally got a big budget for.

If I've never mentioned it, this is a great movie :)
---
Hugh Douglas takes the Roy Hibbert Challenge and puts it down in 5 secs; when asked what his secret was, Hugh simply states "I just wanna party".
#26TurduckenPosted 8/25/2013 2:59:31 PM
Malkovitch literally holds a stuffed bunny hostage at gunpoint.

Hahaha

God I need to watch this movie again.
---
THE FIGHT WILL CONTINUE, AS LONG AS THE AMERICA INSIDE MY HEART IS STILL ALIVE
#27akgrouchPosted 8/25/2013 4:03:20 PM
literally :

A four syllable word used by monkeys to add emphasis and impress people. Monkeys who use the word don't understand what it means.
Dude: If that monkey says literally one more time I'll stomp him.
Chick: Literally?
Dude: Well, no.
---
If ignorance is bliss, why are you so sad?
#28froghunter75Posted 8/25/2013 8:10:20 PM
I'm so glad people aren't hating on this movie. It's cheesy as all hell but hot damn is it awesome
---
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed. Albert Einstein
#29DumpsterMcNuggetsPosted 8/28/2013 8:53:24 AM
Ironically, I caught the very end of Con Air on Spike a few days ago. It reminded me of how much I liked it, and had forgotten about it from years of not watching it. I do agree with Jagr that Face Off and The Rock were better, however.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/588740-super-mario-world-2-yoshis-island/66891294 (new SNES YI thread)
#30Millers CPosted 8/28/2013 2:33:08 PM
Can't watch Cage without subtitles in this. He mumbles too much.
---
I haven't killed anybody...since 1984.