Homebrew Forum - Every topic in the world - Need Help

#1MrDinkyPosted 5/2/2012 5:09:58 PM
rickymason.net/letschat/main/home

above is the web app ive been developing the last few months. I am looking for javascript devs who want to help take it to the next level.

The concept of the page is the give users a forum where they can dynamically pick what they want to discuss and eliminate the obsolete need for manual category management.

I am also looking for a small crowd of testers who would just want to use the forum regularly. Feel free to send it to friends, figure out unique ways to create your own forums.

User category management is in the works, as is a unique scan that will autoamtically assign a default "category" in addition to the user's choice. (entertainment, sci/tech, news etc).

I have many ideas planned, just need extra hands. So if youre interested let me know! We can exchange contact later.
---
PSN:(MrDinky)____(o o)______|
MR.DINKY___.-ooO-(_)-Ooo-.__|
#2ZeroalityPosted 5/3/2012 8:15:25 AM
I'm failing to see the appeal of this over conventional forums.

So instead of forum categories, you lump all threads together and give the users a way to filter which threads they want to see?

Sounds good in theory, but in practice, I don't think you've made that method appealing.
---
---
#3flussencePosted 5/3/2012 1:23:27 PM
Fix these if you want web developers to take you seriously (not that they'll care anyway, since your code isn't open):
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=rickymason.net%2Fletschat%2Fmain%2Fhome

Get rid of the ridiculous arbitrary limits if you want users to take you seriously. I bet it isn't even Unicode-compatible.
#4MrDinky(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2012 12:44:58 PM(edited)
its a prototype.

not necessary to waste time doing the ridiculous checks youre talking about.

Not to mention its a dynamic web app...which means an HTML 4 validation is never going to successful.

for instance. Have you messaged gamefaqs to let them know they have 130 errors?

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fgamefaqs.com&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.3

It sure would be entertaining to see anything you've worked on though, since you are so easy to criticize.
---
#5MrDinky(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2012 12:37:19 PM
Zeroality posted...
I'm failing to see the appeal of this over conventional forums.

So instead of forum categories, you lump all threads together and give the users a way to filter which threads they want to see?

Sounds good in theory, but in practice, I don't think you've made that method appealing.

again..its still a prototype, and why I am looking for help.

I recently added AJAX functionality to update the page instantly through category selection. Thats step one of a thousand.

Its still not intuitive, but this project is more of a learning experiment, based on a real goal of mine, a goal to which I now need help to move forward.

You mention that it sounds good in theory. As with all new ideas/spins, it wouldn't, and couldn't start off perfect. This is why, again, I am here asking for help. My "theory" aka, the final vision of the project is still far away, yet completely realistic and achievable.
---
#6flussencePosted 5/9/2012 9:22:20 AM

its a prototype.

Then you should welcome the constructive feedback instead of flying off the handle.

The 30 character topic title check? Or are you talking about basic, common-sense QA akin to checking your pants are on before going out in public?

Not to mention its a dynamic web app...which means an HTML 4 validation is never going to successful.

You don't know what you're doing and instead of admit it you instantly decide everyone else must share your level of incompetence. Pretty rude on your part.

Considering GameFAQs' latest in a long line of "progress" is to strip people of their decade-old online identities because none of the current devs can figure out codepoint U+0020, it seems like correct HTML is beyond their ability anyway. 130 is an order of magnitude better than the 1200 or so they had with the flexiboards v8 codebase so I'll give them that.

It sure would be entertaining to see anything you've worked on though, since you are so easy to criticize.

That can be arranged. But first I'll give you a chance to back down before totally burying you.
#7MrDinky(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2012 10:09:06 AM(edited)
flussence posted...
its a prototype.
Then you should welcome the constructive feedback instead of flying off the handle.

The 30 character topic title check? Or are you talking about basic, common-sense QA akin to checking your pants are on before going out in public?

You don't know what you're doing and instead of admit it you instantly decide everyone else must share your level of incompetence. Pretty rude on your part.

Considering GameFAQs' latest in a long line of "progress" is to strip people of their decade-old online identities because none of the current devs can figure out codepoint U+0020, it seems like correct HTML is beyond their ability anyway. 130 is an order of magnitude better than the 1200 or so they had with the flexiboards v8 codebase so I'll give them that.

That can be arranged. But first I'll give you a chance to back down before totally burying you.

Your reply was obviously intended not as constructive criticism, but simply a form of abrasive taunting, so of course I would reply defensively. I apologize if you actually believe your post was constructive. But it might do you some good to stop programming and quickly learn how to communicate without making yourself look like an ass.

I already looked at the stuff in your signature. It seems that you never had to develop a new idea from scratch. Coding a message board starting from nothing isn't difficult code wise...the difficulty lies in the immense amount of problem solving that needs to be thought about prior to even starting.

As someone who just started programming (3 months to be precise), I was not prepared in terms of design processes. But, seeing as it is a prototype, I dont think its that important. Hell, the site doesn't even function in IE right now...but again, its not a concern of mine...right now.

The sole purpose is to give people something to look at and play with so they can understand what the idea of the site is. So far, it does that just fine.

I valued Zeroality's post, despite being criticism. Your post on the other hand was not helpful in the least.
---
#8flussencePosted 5/9/2012 10:27:54 AM

I apologize if you actually believe your post was constructive. But it might do you some good to stop programming and quickly learn how to communicate without making yourself look like an ass.

I bet you think a constant stream of passive-aggressive snippy remarks like this is clever.

Your site has since become inaccessible to text browsers, search engines or people with physical disabilities, BTW. Just thought you should know, but you're probably busy writing your next big snark.
#9ZeroalityPosted 5/10/2012 4:20:25 AM
For the inital visit, I think being bombarded with threads from each topic is too much.

Perhaps a descriptive welcome message at the top instead, with the bottom being a box with 5-10 of the latest 'trending' topics - using whichever metric you wish.

I'd say perhaps something with X most posts in last 24 hours.

You may even want some sort of wizard that greets each user and stores information via cookie. You could have the user narrow down which topics they are interested in, and show topics from those subjects.

Just don't make it a pop-up, I'd say some sort of ajax window in available space instead.

I'd also look into some sort of tagging or color coding, so that you can display topics from more than one subject at the same time without things getting confusing.

Just a few ideas I had, based from my time on forums and such.

flussence may need to work on his tact, but he is correct. The site does not function properly on Chrome either, I see a blank page when visiting and have to click one of the tags to get anything to show up.

Making it work in IE is also important, even with declining usage - they still have a chunk of the market. Most issues in IE stem from either improper coding practices or can be fixed with workarounds, most are available online.

IE6 usage is down to a small percentage, so feel free to skip support for that. IE 7+ isn't too difficult.

Fixing the errors in the validator, or at least the ones that you know don't come from the way you specifically coded things, should help.
---
---
#10MrDinky(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2012 5:54:40 PM
Zeroality posted...
For the inital visit, I think being bombarded with threads from each topic is too much.

Perhaps a descriptive welcome message at the top instead, with the bottom being a box with 5-10 of the latest 'trending' topics - using whichever metric you wish.

I'd say perhaps something with X most posts in last 24 hours.

You may even want some sort of wizard that greets each user and stores information via cookie. You could have the user narrow down which topics they are interested in, and show topics from those subjects.

Just don't make it a pop-up, I'd say some sort of ajax window in available space instead.

I'd also look into some sort of tagging or color coding, so that you can display topics from more than one subject at the same time without things getting confusing.

Just a few ideas I had, based from my time on forums and such.

flussence may need to work on his tact, but he is correct. The site does not function properly on Chrome either, I see a blank page when visiting and have to click one of the tags to get anything to show up.

Making it work in IE is also important, even with declining usage - they still have a chunk of the market. Most issues in IE stem from either improper coding practices or can be fixed with workarounds, most are available online.

IE6 usage is down to a small percentage, so feel free to skip support for that. IE 7+ isn't too difficult.

Fixing the errors in the validator, or at least the ones that you know don't come from the way you specifically coded things, should help.

Thanks for the input. I don't disagree with flussence, i just don't like his attitude.

Like i said, its in development...

As for your suggestions...thanks. Definitely going to work on a 'hot' bar.

The neat thing is, the way the keywords are set up, it should all be pretty easy to manage. I just have to add a unique 'hot' keyword on it, and i can filter it the same way as all the other threads.

Same goes for tracking your own posts, or friend posts.

Im still working on getting cookies stored. Currently, im just trying to get the jquery selected code to stay selected even when you move to a different page or reload. Thats probably the reason you are getting an error.

As for intro text, currently i gave the site a temporary name, and the default threads will be 'sticky's (once thats implemented) that just show focused threads, or site news.

Of course, id like users to be able to select their own default categories.

bottom line, input is great, as always. just takes time to implement.

Again, i made this post to find people that might be interested in helping (programming, in addition to input). so if anyone is, feel free to post.
---